Erractic behaviour from vip 612

ces1948

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
In the last two weeks our vip 612 has started acting very strangely. Here are some of the things that have happened.

Randomly changing channels. (checked timers nothing there)
Fast forwarding DVR recordings while we are watching
Guide randomly popping up
Volume control bar popping up
Screen showing Satellite setup and other random screens is displayed when box powered up.

Things I've done that coincide with the start of this include changing the sound cable to run from the 612 to the tv set whereas before I ran them to an audio receiver and to the tv from the receiver.
It's almost as if someone else is controlling the box.
We do have two other receivers in the house (211k) but they are not in use when these thing happen.
The other thing we see a lot in the mornings is the hard drive running and no lights lit on the box. The first time we saw this we let it go on thinking it would finish but after several hours I rebooted it.
I have also walked around the neighborhood looking to see if anyone had a recent Dish install but no one has. I don't think their remotes would reach into my house anyway
So that's my issue. Any answers?
Thanks
Charlie

Change the remote address on the 612 you may have a neighbor using the same address as you are using. Most installers leave it on the factory setting of #1.

I changed it to #2 it was on #1. I'll give that a try. It did seem as if it was being controlled from elsewhere.
Thanks

i clicked on this because i read 'erotic behavior from 612'
ha!
anyway...its obviously uhf interferance from a neighbor.
you were actually confusing them just as much as they confused you. if you changed the frequency you'll be fine.
an important edit...if you used the remote to go to system info istead of the button of the front of your receiver...you may have changed your neighbors remote setting to #2 as well. now..their remote wont work but if they call dish and the rep has them go to sys info and press record, youll have the same problem all over again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts