Error 1523

GPM

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 26, 2015
Arizona
Turned on the TV this morning and received an error message, 1523- unable to initialize the outdoor unit. Turned on the other H3 and same thing. Tried resetting, red button, then unplugging, same result. Also power cycled the power inserter. Called it in and scheduled a service call. An hour or so later, power cycled one receiver and it came back. Power cycled the other and it too came back.

Turned them off after awhile, and when turning them on later both got the same errors. Unplugged both units and the power inserter. After rebooting several minutes later, both came back on. I'm guessing either the switch or the power inserter is failing.

Anybody seen anything like that?

Reactions: charlesrshell
Turned on the TV this morning and received an error message, 1523- unable to initialize the outdoor unit. Turned on the other H3 and same thing. Tried resetting, red button, then unplugging, same result. Also power cycled the power inserter. Called it in and scheduled a service call. An hour or so later, power cycled one receiver and it came back. Power cycled the other and it too came back.

Turned them off after awhile, and when turning them on later both got the same errors. Unplugged both units and the power inserter. After rebooting several minutes later, both came back on. I'm guessing either the switch or the power inserter is failing.

Yes I've seen this error before on a service call when there was a problem with the wire. I've also seen it in the shop when a wire was loose.

I am guessing LNB or cable.

Reactions: JSheridan
Yes I've seen this error before on a service call when there was a problem with the wire. I've also seen it in the shop when a wire was loose.

Interesting. I would assume if a loose wire it would be at the switch or LNB as it is effecting both units. I checked that and everything is tight. Nothing has been disturbed is a long time so its hard to say how something could come loose.

Interesting. I would assume if a loose wire it would be at the switch or LNB as it is effecting both units. I checked that and everything is tight. Nothing has been disturbed is a long time so its hard to say how something could come loose.

Just saying what I saw.

As charlesrshell said it's probably the wire or the LNB, or it could be the switch or the switch power supply too.

Thanks. As they are both working right now my plan is to not turn them off until them off until the service call tomorrow morning.

Charles, I did disconnect the two feeds into the switch. They were tight and looked fine. It did rain last night, and was in fact raining lightly when the problem first occurred this morning. The switch is tucked up under the eve of the house and it would take a real driving storm to get any water up there. Everything was dry with no signs of the looped cables having been wet.

Thanks. As they are both working right now my plan is to not turn them off until them off until the service call tomorrow morning.

Charles, I did disconnect the two feeds into the switch. They were tight and looked fine. It did rain last night, and was in fact raining lightly when the problem first occurred this morning. The switch is tucked up under the eve of the house and it would take a real driving storm to get any water up there. Everything was dry with no signs of the looped cables having been wet.
Could be connector at LNB or maybe water getting in the LNB. How old are your LNBs?

Reactions: JSheridan
Another thing, when the Dish rep took control of the receiver I could see that she had run a system check and that 2 system errors showed up. But, with that 1523 message displayed I could not access the screen. After the receivers came back up, the check status gave no errors.

The LNBs are old. May well be the issue. I guess we'll find out tomorrow morning. I may climb back up there later and try to check. Not a fun thing to do in the middle of the day in Phoenix.

Another thing, when the Dish rep took control of the receiver I could see that she had run a system check and that 2 system errors showed up. But, with that 1523 message displayed I could not access the screen. After the receivers came back up, the check status gave no errors.

The LNBs are old. May well be the issue. I guess we'll find out tomorrow morning. I may climb back up there later and try to check. Not a fun thing to do in the middle of the day in Phoenix.
Be careful on the ladder. Can't wait to hear what the issue is.

Yeah, the balance isn't what it was 40 years ago. I've decided that I'll only check them if I lose the receivers again. No sense unhooking cables when they're working.

A frustrating thing about this error is that the second part of the message says you can't watch live TV until the outdoor unit connects. Well, with that message on the screen the unit is unresponsive. Thus no access to DVR or OTA.

Typically, on a Hopper 3, that error shows up when the cable is accidentally connected to port 2 on the LNBF. The fact that you have 2 Hoppers, both showing the same error tells me it's most likely the LNB or the switch, although cabling could always be the culprit

Typically, on a Hopper 3, that error shows up when the cable is accidentally connected to port 2 on the LNBF. The fact that you have 2 Hoppers, both showing the same error tells me it's most likely the LNB or the switch, although cabling could always be the culprit

Thanks. Yeah that seems to be the consensus. Since it affects both H3s at the same time it seems it has to be LNB, switch, duo node, or cabling from the LNB through to the duo node. At least in my uneducated opinion. Of course they've been working fine all day. The night before last was the first rain we've had in months and it was raining when the problem first happened this morning and when it reoccurred a short time later. Sunny all day since. Service call is scheduled for tomorrow morning. I'll update, hopefully with the fix.

Dish tech just left. He replaced the duo node with two hybrid solo hubs. Said that was required for two H3s otherwise they wouldn't be able to use all of their tuners. First I'd heard of that. He checked the LNB and all connections. Also plugged the sat input into a little box he had and said there was very little power loss and very little noise on both H3 feeds. He said that indicated the LNB was good.

Guess we'll just wait and see if the problem stays away. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Dish tech just left. He replaced the duo node with two hybrid solo hubs. Said that was required for two H3s otherwise they wouldn't be able to use all of their tuners. First I'd heard of that. He checked the LNB and all connections. Also plugged the sat input into a little box he had and said there was very little power loss and very little noise on both H3 feeds. He said that indicated the LNB was good.

Guess we'll just wait and see if the problem stays away. Thanks for all the suggestions.
I have been using a Duo Hub for two years now with my two Hopper 3s with no issues. I have spare Solo Hubs if it ever gives me any problems. I am glad you get her fixed.

Reactions: TheKrell
I have been using a Duo Hub for two years now with my two Hopper 3s with no issues. I have spare Solo Hubs if it ever gives me any problems. I am glad you get her fixed.

Yeah Charles, I remembered you documenting your setup. I've had the Duo for a year or so without issue. Makes me wonder if that was the problem. Since it happened twice yesterday morning and hasn't happened since all I can do is wait to see if it comes back. The two solo hubs are functioning the same as the duo, both H3s visible. If the problem comes back I'll update here.

Yeah Charles, I remembered you documenting your setup. I've had the Duo for a year or so without issue. Makes me wonder if that was the problem. Since it happened twice yesterday morning and hasn't happened since all I can do is wait to see if it comes back. The two solo hubs are functioning the same as the duo, both H3s visible. If the problem comes back I'll update here.
I hear ya. Time will tell. Good luck.

Dish tech just left. He replaced the duo node with two hybrid solo hubs. Said that was required for two H3s otherwise they wouldn't be able to use all of their tuners.

I also have been using the duo node for my two Hopper3 and Joey3 receivers with no problems. I believe I heard that Dish does not authorize an installation using a duo node for two Hopper3 receivers.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I also have been using the duo node for my two Hopper3 and Joey3 receivers with no problems. I believe I heard that Dish does not authorize an installation using a duo node for two Hopper3 receivers.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

That's right. 2 Hopper 3's are supposed to have 2 separate single nodes.

Dish doesn't authorize the Duo Hub for 2 Hopper 3 installs, but we have a good number of users here and that I've installed that haven't had issues

And no, glynnp not the same as cable