Error Code 771

Status
Please reply by conversation.

code4code5

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 15, 2005
Aurora, CO
I have two D* receivers, one H10 and one HNS HDVR2. I'm having trouble getting the even transponders from the 101 satellite (18v connection). The problems are intermittent and half the time I get the "Searching for satellite signal (771)" error message. I've tried everything I can think of... from replacing the LNB, the RG6 connections between the LNB and the MS, and resetting both receivers several times. Is it possible that my MS is manfunctioning? D* doesn't seem to have an answer for me and I'm trying to avoid a service call.

Well, for anyone else who may read this, I did switch the 13v and 18v cables from the LNB to the MS. So far, it's been about a week and I haven't had the problem again. Thank you!!

good in day, bad at night...

well, i've had a similar problem. i was getting the same message, but this seemed to happen only in the evening, during the morning/day it seemed to work fine.

i just received a new STB, but now it won't even set up because it fails when confirming the satellites - of course, it is night time.

any ideas?

Well, I'm sorry to hear that... I can appreciate where you're coming from. When D* tells you to reset your STB and all it does is stare at you and give you the proverbial bird, it can be rather frustrating. Try doing what I did. Switch the 13v and 18v cables from Sat A at the multiswitch. That's the only thing that ended up working. At the risk of sounding like an instruction manual translated from another language to English, you have to unplug the power (really... not just reset) on all your STB's before you disconnect / connect any RG-6 cables.

cool, thanks code4. i just got off with tech 2 or whatever they call it and she thinks it's the same deal - something is wrong with the multiswitch. the installers will be out tomorrow or Saturday morning and they will be replacing/fixing the multiswitch and entire dish if need be.

it was refreshing to have someone there actually understand what the problem may be instead of running me through the rudimentary steps of checking the system. she seemed pretty sure this was the problem, as you have already figured out. i am crossing my fingers. thanks for your help!! i'll let you know how it turns out.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!! And just how much are they charging you for this service? Just switch the cables and give it a shot. What have you got to loose?

lol...... no charge, of course. i wouldn't pay a dime to them. the thing was just installed. they need to fix what they started. it has, however, cost me a fortune in my time and patience!!!

FYI: make sure you ALWAYS unplug every receivers (from the electrical outlet) when you are moving cables to or from the LNBs, switches and back of the receivers themselves. These devices can and will cause your equipment to short out and become unusable if you do not.

Status
Please reply by conversation.