ESPN 2 in HD starting in Jan 2005

I believe ESPN will have 100 events on ESPN2-HD and will have have 300 on ESPN-HD according to Ken H on the same post. So the future looks bright. The more HD out there, the better. VOOM has to be out there to get it.

Remember the more that we want and the more VOOM or any satellite or cable operator delivers, the more ESPN will be asking for the channel and ultimately we all have to pay the increase.

Sean Mota said:
I believe ESPN will have 100 events on ESPN2-HD and will have have 300 on ESPN-HD according to Ken H on the same post. So the future looks bright. The more HD out there, the better. VOOM has to be out there to get it.

Remember the more that we want and the more VOOM or any satellite or cable operator delivers, the more ESPN will be asking for the channel and ultimately we all have to pay the increase.

Do you think that VOOM already has the rights to this channel as part of their original ESPN agreement, or will they have to go back and negotiate to get the rights to show the channel ? Remember, how long it took them to get an agreement with ESPN the first time.

Lucky said:
Do you think that VOOM already has the rights to this channel as part of their original ESPN agreement, or will they have to go back and negotiate to get the rights to show the channel ? Remember, how long it took them to get an agreement with ESPN the first time.

That's a possibility but I will not hold my breath on that. ESPN/ABC has been known to play their cards very well in the past to get the most money for their channels. They always try to squeeze every provider (cable/satellite) out of every penny. So I would not be surprised if ESPN/ABC never made it known to any provider their intention to bring ESPN2-HD live by January 2005. Thus requiring a new negotiation and more money. Unfortunately is the trade mark of the business and right now ESPN/ABC hold a good hand of cards because they know consumers want this to be carried by every provider desperately. I would not be surprised if they make ESPN2-HD very enticing in the first few months so that we consumer start screaming at their providers.

Sean Mota said:
That's a possibility but I will not hold my breath on that. ESPN/ABC has been known to play their cards very well in the past to get the most money for their channels. They always try to squeeze every provider (cable/satellite) out of every penny. So I would not be surprised if ESPN/ABC never made it known to any provider their intention to bring ESPN2-HD live by January 2005. Thus requiring a new negotiation and more money. Unfortunately is the trade mark of the business and right now ESPN/ABC hold a good hand of cards because they know consumers want this to be carried by every provider desperately. I would not be surprised if they make ESPN2-HD very enticing in the first few months so that we consumer start screaming at their providers.

Unfortunately that sounds like bad news. I remember how hard it was for VOOM to get an agreement with ESPN intially, so something tells me we may not get this channel.

Lucky said:
Unfortunately that sounds like bad news. I remember how hard it was for VOOM to get an agreement with ESPN intially, so something tells me we may not get this channel.

Everybody gets a hard time in negotiation. D* added ESPN-HD a month after it debuted, E* three months after it debuted.

I agree, ESPNHD has been lots of hours of Sportscenter in HD, which is basically the first 10 seconds in HD 48 minutes of SD clips mixed in with SD commercials, and finally 10 seconds of HD at the end as the anchors say goodbye.

ESPN 1/2 need to cover more sports, they're NFL and College Gameday shows need to be in HD, and they need to secure all available HD clips for Sportscenter.

I'm thinking ESPN2 HD will show up on 302.... because that channel was skipped for some reason...
On another note and I could be wrong, but I think there is some kind of FCC rule that makes providers who have identical programming in HD have to offer it free for those paying/subscribing for the regular channel, and not allowing it to be a separate channel... I know the movie services do this, but it might be their policy and not the FCC's...
I guess where I'm headed with this is that as long as the providers have identical HD channels, they won't be able to separate them into a marquee package without taking there identicl twins along with them...
Channels like Bravo HD and Discovery HD Theater are non identical and separate channels, so they could do this with them...
Also, the providers could charge more for the complete package, but not extra for an identical HD channel...
I better stop here, cause I've gotten off subject...

I found this on my local AVS HD forum.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by KTrout
I saw that same announcement on the bottom line yesterday regarding ESPN2-HD. As much as I would like to see it in January, I'm not expecting it. ESPN ruffled some feathers with their restructured carriage rates so unless they are almost giving it away
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It looks like they are "almost giving it away".....
According to sources in the Programming section of this forum, folks who seem to be in the know, are quoting that ESPN2-HD and ESPN U are already in the pricing scheme that has been negotiated. In other words, if you are getting ESPN-HD then your provider has already paid for ESPN2-HD. Good news for Comcast and DirectTV subs, it sounds like bad for TWC.

So if this is true it looks as if Voom will provide it also!!! :yes

If the TWC you refer to is Time Warner Cable, no need to worry. I like in Kansas City and the Saturday before openning season of the NFL, ESPN-HD was launched. I did a happy dance because due to financial issues I had to drop VOOM. I now have INHD-1/2, HDNET and NDNET Movies, TNT-HD, Discover-HD, Shotime-HD(2) and my local channels in HD: FOX (what ever it is they do), ABC, CBS, and PBS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)