ESPN College Extra...Will Dish carry it?

I've got ESPN3 on my Roku and Apple TV. Anything that is on ESPN College Extra is available on ESPN3. It actually comes from there.

Reactions: Mr Tony
I've got ESPN3 on my Roku and Apple TV. Anything that is on ESPN College Extra is available on ESPN3. It actually comes from there.

I don't think Dish should pay extra for this and increase our bills if this is the option. As you noted its all on ESPN3 and I don't see any significant games on the schedule. Clearly some smaller colleges and some niche games. But folks are covered.

I don't think Dish should pay extra for this and increase our bills if this is the option. As you noted its all on ESPN3 and I don't see any significant games on the schedule. Clearly some smaller colleges and some niche games. But folks are covered.

Exactly - we have access to the games on ESPN3 through the watch ESPN app. Plus, Dish is limited on bandwidth right now as it is. Granted this 8PSK conversion should help, but right now, if they are short on bandwidth, adding those smaller niche games really wouldn't be the best use of bandwidth.

You are all missing the point...the games were already carried on ESPN Gameplan/Full Court the now extinct PPV option(s). So adding these games will not take away any bandwidth that Dish wasn't already using in the past years.

The point is, these games are being carried on competing providers via sat/cable AND not everyone has access to ESPN3 / Watch ESPN.

Reactions: Mr Tony
The point is, these games are being carried on competing providers via sat/cable AND not everyone has access to ESPN3 / Watch ESPN.
But is there enough demand to warrant them carrying it for the random South Alabama type game for those few that might not have espn3/watch espn?

Reactions: ChadT41
but as noted above
You are all missing the point...the games were already carried on ESPN Gameplan/Full Court the now extinct PPV option(s). So adding these games will not take away any bandwidth that Dish wasn't already using in the past years.

so why not carry it? Dish has nothing to lose

Turn off a PPV channel then ;)
Dish will only turn off a PPV channel if they can charge extra for this service. Can they? Will people pay it?

Former package ESPN Gameplan had a fee. So Dish earned revenue to support turning off a PPV channel. Here they are not.

Regardless, I am not wanting to pay for it. NONE of these games has any national interest and the folks that do want the games have options.

Out of curiosity, since ESPN Game Plan and ESPN Full Court are both dead, why does Dish still need all of those PPV Sports channels in the 450s-460s?
because they can show other stuff like old wrestling PPV reruns

Whats interesting is I think its Oklahoma has a PPV game this weekend. I saw the scroll on 149 that said ESPN PPV 458 or something like that

Reactions: fhsucade07
because they can show other stuff like old wrestling PPV reruns

Whats interesting is I think its Oklahoma has a PPV game this weekend. I saw the scroll on 149 that said ESPN PPV 458 or something like that
That is interesting. I wonder if it is actually PPV, or just overflow from the sports ALT channels.

yup its PPV

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=210292697

FOX Sports Oklahoma has announced that Oklahoma's season opener vs. Akron on Saturday, Sept. 5, will be made available via a pay-per-view broadcast.

The game is being televised on a pay-per-view basis because it was not selected for over-the-air broadcast or cable television coverage. It will be available on a dedicated pay-per-view channel on participating Oklahoma program providers, and nationwide via participating satellite and Telco distributors. Pricing will vary by distributor.

Okay. That seems like a rare event, though. It seems like Dish always re-uses the same three or four PPV Sports channels, and the other PPV Sports channels never have anything on them. So, my point remains valid for the remaining PPV Sports channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)