ESPN convinced US soccer audience has knowledge

yaz96

Baby, It's Cold Outside
Original poster
Dec 22, 2005
Front Range, Colorado
ESPN convinced US soccer audience has knowledge

When Ian Darke and Steve McManaman broadcast the European Championship final from Kiev on Sunday, they'll assume their audience back in the U.S. has a fairly deep knowledge of soccer and the Spanish and Italian players on the field in Ukraine.
"I think it's made such massive strides now that it really would be an insult if somebody like me and Macca came on trying to sort of teach people to suck eggs about the game," Darke said. "I think they tune into it because they know it and they love it—or most of them do."

Rest of the article is here
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingn...s-knowledge?_requestid=14212376#ixzz1zIprYIYz

Last edited by a moderator:
They don't explain every intricate detail of hockey to me when I turn it on, so why would they do the same here? Chances are if you don't have an understanding, you won't watch the match anyway. It's also important to realize that since these aren't American broadcasters, they don't broadcast like typical commentators who think the crap they have to say is more important than the event itself

Sent from my iPhone

Lkr said:
They don't explain every intricate detail of hockey to me when I turn it on, so why would they do the same here? Chances are if you don't have an understanding, you won't watch the match anyway. It's also important to realize that since these aren't American broadcasters, they don't broadcast like typical commentators who think the crap they have to say is more important than the event itself

Sent from my iPhone

Excellent post!

I am glad they have announcers that are from a soccer background call soccer games. The game won't be like the big four and that's ok, those who enjoy like myself appreciate the game

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts