ESPN Cutting Costs

Hopefully Espn goes on to form it's own ott app and we can finally separate Espn from regular cable tv services. I know that many people have no interest in sports and don't want to pay to subsidize those that do. IF it means that they cut off more niche channels I am completely fine with that. They all show the same crap anyway : reruns, infomercials ,reality crap programming. I could get by just fine with ota networks and a few regular cable channels. I shouldn't be forced to bundle what I don't want. Everything should be available ala cart.

People are getting fed up.
I wish that were true, but stadiums get plenty of people for every game (there are exceptions, of course).

Just thought of this: Has any major cable or satellite provider ever dropped ESPN in a contract dispute ? I wonder if it's never happened (at least in a long time) because a) ESPN may not get the outcry they think they would or b) no provider is willing to risk it ?

I wish that were true, but stadiums get plenty of people for every game (there are exceptions, of course).

Just thought of this: Has any major cable or satellite provider ever dropped ESPN in a contract dispute ? I wonder if it's never happened (at least in a long time) because a) ESPN may not get the outcry they think they would or b) no provider is willing to risk it ?
Shush..dish bigwigs read these forums

I agree with Lue, the problem is cord cutters. If you have a Dish (or Direct, or Cable) subscription, even if you never turn on ESPN, you're still paying for it. For ESPN to say they're losing money because of subscription loss, it has to be cord cutters.
I have a Fios subscription that doesn't include ESPN. I doubt Verizon is paying Disney/ESPN the $6+ for me.

I can't recall ESPN being dropped. I think the issue is option B - and not necessarily because of just the ESPN channels. I would think that many of these contracts also have Disney Channel, ABC Family, Disney Junior, etc all tied together. Between all those other channels and the sports channels, that is a wide range of customers that could be impacted and could switch providers. If it were just ESPN, part of me says that some would take the risk.

New
?
Look at Justin Verlander. Ever since he got his big contract with the Tigers, he has not been the same.
I blame Kate Upton.

I wouldn't be the same if I was with Kate Upton.

I have a Fios subscription that doesn't include ESPN. I doubt Verizon is paying Disney/ESPN the $6+ for me.
Specifically what package and what market. Dish has packages without it also so depending on what package you have it may mean nothing.

I was a avid football fan, but my interest is fading. There's too much money involved now. The average family can't afford to go to a game. The stadiums aren't named after the area they are in, but some corporation. If you buy a season ticket, you also got to buy your seat. What the %<\k ? And yet the taxpayers paid for our stadium.

I see the Super Bowl becoming Pay per View and everything going down hill from there.

I agree with a lot of what you say, I also find my interest in Pro Football waning, to many games on ??? Monday Night Football to me use to be an event. not so much now with... Sunday Night... Monday Night.... Thursday Night. Hours of pre-game...post-game analyzing. I still watch some of the games.

I enjoy Hockey / Baseball more now , must be getting older ....older.

I do watch the Super Bowl, if it went the route of PPV, I guess I'll watch TVLand SD instead :deadhorse.

I was a fanatical fan for years, not so much now. I remember ESPN when it started, great 24 hours of sports. Used to love the multi-folded TV schedule , with unlimited College Football games replays and Ol' Lou Palmer...Tom Mees...Bob Ley..and yes Chris Berman.

Steve

Reactions: fhsucade07
Nobody watches soccer? The recent womens world cup soccer final drew a larger audience than any of the NBA finals games, over 25 million viewers in the US.

I think you are full of it.

That's always where soccer fans go when you point out that no one watches soccer on TV, they always want to point to the World Cup. What they don't understand is that people aren't watching that because they are fans of soccer, they are watching to root for the USA. It's the only soccer match I watched all year. Same thing happens during the olympics. People watch swimming to root for the USA but nobody watches the rest of the time. Or speed skating, ski jumping, track & field, etc, etc...

One problem with ESPN (and there are many) is their hard sell self-promotion. You never ever saw an ordinary soccer score make it into the Top 10, much less to #1, until ESPN signed the TV agreement to broadcast games. Then there's their attempt to include poker as a sport. Seriously? Add to that the gruesome twosome of SC desk jerks Neil Everett and Stan Verrett. The staff is riddled with non-pros and it shows. Jonathan Coachman (voice like a girl), Kenny Mayne (what, exactly, is his talent?), Chris Berman ( a bad caricature of himself), Linda Cohn (oh please!), Stephen A. Smith (do I really need to characterize this one?), the biggest BSer of all of them, Skip Bayless, and on and on...... I left out Keith Olbermann because he's already been given the boot (for the second time). In my opinion another reason people have turned away from ESPN is because of the way ESPN has turned on the hand that feeds it. OTL has degraded into nothing more than a sewer crawling muck-wraking modern day version of the very worst of yellow journalism.

Reactions: Lue and osu1991
That's always where soccer fans go when you point out that no one watches soccer on TV, they always want to point to the World Cup. What they don't understand is that people aren't watching that because they are fans of soccer, they are watching to root for the USA
26 million people in the US watched the men's World Cup final game. The US team wasn't in it....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts