ESPN hd PQ for the most part sucks!!!!

tigerfan33

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 12, 2007
Alabama
For the leader in sports broadcasting, I am really fed up with the picture quality on ESPN hd. I remember earlier this year in a post that Scott said that Espn was aware of their problems and are trying to fix them. After watching last nights game. I can say it is not fixed. I watched a NBA game earlier this year and I could have sworn that it was not hd, but it was up converted. I compared it to a golf tournament shot with the hand held cameras on NBC hd. You would think that the sports leader could do something about it. From college to pro sports it needs to get better. Especially about to launch 2 more channels in hd (ESPN NEWS, ESPNU).

Yeah some days it looks good other times it does not. I think most of the time it depends on the sporting event and what type of cameras their using at the event.

I am flipping back and forth between ESPN hd and the Nfl Network hd. Both have football games on. What a difference!!! I would hate to see what ESPN hd would be doing to the Steelers and Rams. The pq on the nfl game is awesome. The college game on Espn looks like a good up convert. What a shame ESPN!!

Yeah, ESPN just doesn't look or sound as good as NFL network tonight. I am so glad i bought HD this year. I no longer have to go to the games to watch the RAMS lose :(

Baseball on Fox isn't much better when they move the compression slider to its lowest setting.

To me it all depends on the the equipment their using at that particular event. Some sporting events look better than others on ESPN due to you can tell some difference in camera shots. Some shots look better than others so when they start using all of the same type of hardware at all of their events. Thats when their HD games will be better and right now its a hit or miss. I notice this on ESPN more than any other HD Channel out there in that some events look better than others. So to me its obvious they are not using the same equipment at all of their sporting events. Again this is just my guess on what is going on.

OTA may never be MPEG4.

Change all the encoders and receivers AGAIN!!

Last edited:
Watching the Papajohns.com Bowl today and the pq is actually pretty good. I wish all of it's telecast were this good.

As I did brag on ESPNhd with the PapaJohn Bowl. The 2 other bowl games looked like hd crap. I watched NFL network hd and the game between the Cowboys and Panthers. Hd was very clear and crisp. Watched sportcenter after the game and ESPN showed highlights. Wavy grass, artifacts everywhere. Nothing like the game. ESPN does have a problem and they need to get it fixed.

As I did brag on ESPNhd with the PapaJohn Bowl. The 2 other bowl games looked like hd crap. I watched NFL network hd and the game between the Cowboys and Panthers. Hd was very clear and crisp. Watched sportcenter after the game and ESPN showed highlights. Wavy grass, artifacts everywhere. Nothing like the game. ESPN does have a problem and they need to get it fixed.

Well, first of all, the Papa John's bowl was on ESPN-2, and not ESPN. ESPN-2 is an MPEG-4 channel.

Second, you have no idea how ESPN got their game footage from the NFL Network. From your description, it sounds like it came from DirecTV... :)

ESPN stays with 720p, but there HD broadcasts do not look like as good as the 1080i on CBS, NFL network, and even the baseball playoffs on TBS HD. The football games on Fox HD which are broadcasted in 720p look pretty good so it can be done.

Well, first of all, the Papa John's bowl was on ESPN-2, and not ESPN. ESPN-2 is an MPEG-4 channel.

Second, you have no idea how ESPN got their game footage from the NFL Network. From your description, it sounds like it came from DirecTV... :)
Espn hd Espn2 hd. Same animal to me. Mpeg4 does not help it on my tv.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts