ESPN no make expression about Dish Flex?

orlyPR

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
caribbean
Last year, when Verizon make their flex pack, ESPN make public expression about the Verizon's decision, including the possibility to sue. ESPN surrendered to the new landscape?

I know pretty much nothing about the Verizon / ESPN thing, although I do recall hearing about it, VZW didn't like it, etc, etc. Did Verizon move ahead and offer a base package that didn't include it ? Then again, Dish doesn't include ESPN in either the Smart Pack or Welcome Pack. I think it's more a case of providers have to include ESPN if they want one or two of the Disney channels and vis-versa. Dish just didn't include either.

Espn, in an article I read online the other day, lost another 2.2 million subscribers since February -due to skinny bundles like the Flex pack ,that DISH has now and Verizon had spring of last year. They are now talking about doing an ott application for ESPN ,but it won't be the same programming that is on the live channel. Don't know how much it will be ,but I doubt many will want it if they try to charge as much as they have for the satellite /cable carriage :like $6.00 - $8.00 per sub.
www.fiercecable.com/cable/espn-has-lost-another-2-2m-subs-since-february-nielsen-says

Presumably, Dish must have some kind of contract terms that allow them to have packages without ESPN, such as Welcome and Flex. Also note that Sling Blue does not have ESPN. Dish has said that ESPN would be welcome to change their terms to join other packages, so perhaps they have agreed to disagree at this time. I for one am glad, as a non sports watcher, that we are finally able to avoid paying the "ESPN tax" to watch other channels on TV, however I wish there was a true entertainment pack without sports channels.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Presumably, Dish must have some kind of contract terms that allow them to have packages without ESPN, such as Welcome and Flex. Also note that Sling Blue does not have ESPN. Dish has said that ESPN would be welcome to change their terms to join other packages, so perhaps they have agreed to disagree at this time. I for one am glad, as a non sports watcher, that we are finally able to avoid paying the "ESPN tax" to watch other channels on TV, however I wish there was a true entertainment pack without sports channels.
The Flex pack is that pack. There are NO sports channels at all -unless they are in freeview. I love it . For the first time in my life I do NOT have to pay for sports channels I never, ever watch in the first place.:clapping

Same here, if my team isn't playing on espn, I don't watch it.
That said, a lot of Buckeyes games are on espn.
Same here and now that I have Flex, I don't get ESPN. As for the Buckeyes, they usually weren't on ESPN for us, but would be on the local ABC station, as I recall.

If I have to, I'll just add the sports pack for ESPN or even the regional pack to get the Big 10 Network and after the Saturday, remove it.

I now have the Welcome Pack without ESPN. Maybe one NFL game a year of my team is on ESPN. For $6 per month, I can live without it, plus all those other channels that I never watched.
I am saving $40 per month total.

Same here and now that I have Flex, I don't get ESPN. As for the Buckeyes, they usually weren't on ESPN for us, but would be on the local ABC station, as I recall.

If I have to, I'll just add the sports pack for ESPN or even the regional pack to get the Big 10 Network and after the Saturday, remove it.
Yes, The Buckeyes normally for us are on ABC or ESPN ... although I heard that Fox is in the mix now as well.

Btw, the Bucks will only play 2 games on BTN, as the rules say all teams must play 2 games a year on the network, usually they are in the first half of the season.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts