ESPN Now Showing Scrolling Text Messages During Live Games?

HD MM

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Believeland, Ohio
For any of you who tuned into the Ohio vs. Temple CFB game last night on ESPN2, I'm sure you noticed a new feature on the top of the screen. It featured a scroll for text messages to be sent in and shown during the live broadcast.

I realize this game wasn't a marquee match-up and was considered a bore to some, but I just hope this isn't a new trend for future sporting broadcasts. It's enough of a distraction for a constant news/score scroll on the bottom of the screen and now they want to add another scroll on the top of the screen for text messages?!

That is stupid. I didn't notice it for the short time I watched the game.

I noticed it last week...I think its very lame, but I guess all the Kids and ESPN (I am 34) so Its funny I am saying this, feel that they need to have there two cents aired over a game

Wish there was a feature to diable this...other then turning the station!!

I noticed it last week...I think its very lame, but I guess all the Kids and ESPN (I am 34) so Its funny I am saying this, feel that they need to have there two cents aired over a game

I agree. ESPN's game screen has become a cluser-you-know-what.

I think the Big-Ten Network does a good job at showing a full screen of football and seems to limit the logos, bugs and scrolls.

They do this in the UK during EPL matches on the weekends, I thinks it's another venue stream they are looking into.

Of course I think in the UK the have 2 channels with the same feed, one is clean with play by play, and the other feed is a fanzone one with 2 fans, 1 from each team doing the play by play, and text messages scrolling on the bottom.

That reminds me of this old show they used to have on MTV, which for the life of me I can't remember, but they would play music videos and if you were in one of the MTV AOL Chatrooms, you could type stuff about the videos that they would put on the screen (if you were lucky). This was before laptops became really popular (had to be between 1994-1996) so you had to hope that you had your desktop near your television. Obviously it didn't last that long.

change the zoom factor on your tv, put tape over the text scrolling bar, or just watch the satellite feed from the stadium to ESPN's studios. ;) I can't believe the texting would be put in the telecast at the production truck (but it could be possible).

Well good news..... I think.....

During ESPN's WVU vs. Auburn game last night, I saw no evidence of any annoying text scroll during the broadcast. Let's hope this was only a one time shot.

The Reds started doing this on their postgame "Reds Live" show late in the season, but I have not seen it on ESPN yet, but I have to agree...how much more distracting can you make it???...:eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)