ESPN Ranks the Conferences(Football)

atl14dat

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 30, 2010
Southeast Tennessee
ESPN had their 6 BCS Conference Bloggers Rank the Conferences heading into the 2010 Season.

Each blogger is a person that covers their respective Confernce in detail year round.

David Ubben(BIG 12)
1.SEC
2.Big 12
3.Big Ten
4.PAC 10
5.ACC
6.Big East

Chris Low(SEC)
1.SEC
2.Big Ten
3.Big 12
4.PAC 10
5.ACC
6.Big East

Heather Dinich(ACC)
1.SEC
2.Big Ten
3.ACC
4.Big 12
5.PAC 10
6.Big East

Ted Miller(PAC 10)
1.SEC
2.Big 12
3.Big Ten
4.PAC 10
5.ACC
6.Big East

Adam Rittenberger(Big Ten)
1.SEC
2.Big Ten
3.Big 12
4.PAC 10
5.ACC
6.Mountain West
7.Big East(ouch)

Brian Bennett(Big East)
1.SEC
2.Big Ten
3.Big 12
4.PAC 10
5.Big East
6.ACC

Never too early to start the debates.:)

Wow at least we know who the Homer was... Heather putting the ACC as 3? WTF? I mean you could justify being ahead of the big east... MAYBE the Pac 10 (seeing how USC will be down) but seriously? Ahead of the Big 12?

And odd isnt it how unanimous it is for the SEC being #1.

Wow at least we know who the Homer was... Heather putting the ACC as 3? WTF? I mean you could justify being ahead of the big east... MAYBE the Pac 10 (seeing how USC will be down) but seriously? Ahead of the Big 12?

And odd isnt it how unanimous it is for the SEC being #1.

I agree, its very odd for someone to seriously put the ACC 3rd.

On your other note about the SEC .....

I would think that it being a clean sweep at #1 would be obvious ...

Personally, the ONLY reason why the SEC should be #1 was because of the having the BCS champion almost every year. Also, the Big 12 has been MORE consistant than the Big 10.

Stewart Mandel SI.com Lead College Football writer weighs in.

His take for the upcoming season.

1.SEC
2.PAC 10
3.BIG TEN
4.ACC
5.BIG 12
6.BIG EAST

So how are they rating these ?
Guessing at what conference will have the most Wins ?
Or Win the MNC game ?

I mean if I were a betting man, I would but money down on the SEC winning it all, thats a no brainer, of course don't expect to win much money either.

Jimbo I just skimmed the article.Its available at SI.com Mandel's mailbag.

I think he was just giving his opinion of the strength of each Conference from top to bottom.

So how are they rating these ?
Guessing at what conference will have the most Wins ?
Or Win the MNC game ?

I mean if I were a betting man, I would but money down on the SEC winning it all, thats a no brainer, of course don't expect to win much money either.

Sadly it will probably be Alabama (maybe LSU) As Bama returned a mean team, and FLA will have to prove themselves.

Sadly it will probably be Alabama (maybe LSU) As Bama returned a mean team, and FLA will have to prove themselves.

I see Florida to be better than LSU again this year, but Alabama still is the cream of the crop and may be for as long as Nick is there, it should be a good battle recruiting between Nick and Urban.

I see Florida to be better than LSU again this year, but Alabama still is the cream of the crop and may be for as long as Nick is there, it should be a good battle recruiting between Nick and Urban.

FLA did have the best recruiting class for this coming season in the history of the school (as far as highest ranked recruits) But we will have to see how they really turn out, as we all know recruit rankings are not always all they are cracked up to be.

FLA did have the best recruiting class for this coming season in the history of the school (as far as highest ranked recruits) But we will have to see how they really turn out, as we all know recruit rankings are not always all they are cracked up to be.

And usually take a few years to see what you really have, unless it's the stud of the class.

Wow. Great info. Only the Big East homer ranks that woeful league anywhere other than dead last. And he only next to last.

The recent "please accept our application to get out of this league" expansion talk, the previous expansion, and the general acceptance that the Mountain West is a better league, all spell a possible just future, where the BcS excludes it, or includes the other four mid-major leagues in the same way.

Here's a thought, What happens if the main players in the Big East bolt for other conferences when time comes and the shake up happens .....
Does the Big East close shop and dissolve ?
The small schools in the Big East are not going to have the records to stay in the BSC hunt, they would have thier automatic bid taken away if enough leave.

btw, Gotta love the NCAA and thier thinking in just about anything they do...... :rolleyes:

Here's a thought, What happens if the main players in the Big East bolt for other conferences when time comes and the shake up happens .....
Does the Big East close shop and dissolve ?

I am unfamiliar with the "main players" in that league. Its WVU and 8 field fillers. It is failure for WVU not to win ever conference game it plays, every year.

Scenarios, in order of most likely, IMHO:

- It is just like the last two conf. shakeups. Schools move up and the BE plucks a mixture of CUSA teams or former I-AA schools to fill the gaps, and keeps its BcS slot. In which case the mind-numbed BE fan base just continues to parrot the "we are in the BcS", its ACC bashing, and blindly accepts that, for example last year's meaningless Memphis-East Carolina game is now a major contest on a par with every other BcS game, and that, for example, Villanova is now the equal of every BcS team.

- Same as above, but the BcS (for the first time in history) has the moral courage to take the BcS slot from the BE and give it to the MWC (or better yet give it to the best team from among the mid-majors, BE, MWC, CUSA, Sun Belt, or WAC). In which case the BE apologists will start to BcS bash and say the things that other mid-major conference fans have been saying for years.

- WVU finds a home. The BE exists to provide cover for WVU. There are two main reasons this scenario is unlikely. First, are the oft discussed demographic challenges (tiny state, declining population, 1/3rd of state gets TV from elsewhere, etc). But more importantly second, WVU does not want to go anywhere. Its entire marketing plan is based on winning against cupcakes and telling its fans that it has acomplished something. Its fans do not show up when it loses, and in the ACC its mid-pack at best, and its a bottom feeder in the SEC. In that case BE football is done. Look for CUSA and the Sun Belt to absorb the remanants.

No surprise at #1 on everybody's list, but do it again in 10 years and see what it looks like.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)