ESPN Suspends Scott Van Pelt

Status
Not open for further replies.

HD MM

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Believeland, Ohio
Geesh. What is this, two ESPN sportscasters suspended just this week?

Van Pelt spoke harshly of MLB Commish, Bud Selig...

The ESPN anchor's made the comments after it was revealed that Selig made $18.5 million a year. Van Pelt said that the idea of Selig making that much money made him want to "choke on his own vomit." He then mocked Selig's physical appearance saying that he resembles a “computer-programmer, substitute teacher, or government worker who wears tweed jackets.”

ESPN executives may have felt that Van Pelt crossed a line when he said that Selig was a "pimp for real. He probably has a chalice with 'B-U-D' spelled out in jewels and diamonds. You drink from a chalice if you're a pimp."

Scott Van Pelt Suspended From ESPN Radio For Bud Selig Comments | NowPublic News Coverage

He shouldn't have said it, but everybody thinks it. He is WAY over paid for what he does.

I hate ESPN and really wish a competitor would emerge.

I agree, cant stand more then two minutes of sports center. I know it takes money to start up a competitor, but I wish someone would!!!

like i've said before, folks are getting waaaayy toooo sensitive. this was unnecessary

I agree, cant stand more then two minutes of sports center. I know it takes money to start up a competitor, but I wish someone would!!!
It makes me sad thinking about sportscenter. In the late 80s, it was a GREAT show about sports. Now it is just a trainwreck of a circus most of the time.

Like with Kornheiser I think this is an example of who was dissed as opposed to what was said.

ESPN has worked hard and paid billions over the years to get broadcasting rights to major professional sports. The last thing they need is for the on-air "talent" to be pissing off the leaders of these sports with childish comments trying to be funny or controversial. It's possible to be critical without the personal comments. Other commentators at ESPN can manage to do it.

If I were in charge at ESPN, I'd probably fire his ass....

It makes me sad thinking about sportscenter. In the late 80s, it was a GREAT show about sports. Now it is just a trainwreck of a circus most of the time.

When I do watch it, I find myself hitting the mute button. The one thig that is almost laughable is the "interviews" they do. I saw one a couple days ago with Mcgurie and Pujols, talk about a love fest!!, made me want to puke

Yes, it would be nice if they would get back to the reporting and letting you know what's going on with the actual Sports vs the childish way things are done ....
As much as I like Berman, I think it all started to go that way when he gave nick names to people, some were very good mind you, while others are very poor.

When the OK'd that type of stuff, that started the well if he can do that so can I mentality.

Under the leadership of Bud Selig Baseball has enjoyed a major resurgence with a boat load of new ball parks. If old Scott wants to rail against somebody how about that over paid fat ass David Stern of the NBA!!!

i like van pelt too. i don't like selig....he is basically responsible for the steroid era in baseball. he kisses the owners asses as a former owner.

if svp made these comments on his talk radio show, i don't find them out of line. talk radio hosts are generally paid to speak their mind and start a dialouge. if he made the comments on sportscenter, i might have an issue.

i like van pelt too. i don't like selig....he is basically responsible for the steroid era in baseball. he kisses the owners asses as a former owner.

I Agree ....

if svp made these comments on his talk radio show, i don't find them out of line.
talk radio hosts are generally paid to speak their mind and start a dialouge. if he made the comments on sportscenter, i might have an issue.

BTW, which one was it said on ?

jimbo, i read the blurb and it sounds like it was on his radio program.

btw, as much as i dislike tony kornheiser, i have no problem with what he said about hanna storm because it was his radio program. its like how i feel about conservative right talk radio. i don't care for the product but they do have a right to say it because of the forum.

btw, as much as i dislike tony kornheiser, i have no problem with what he said about hanna storm because it was his radio program. its like how i feel about conservative right talk radio. i don't care for the product but they do have a right to say it because of the forum.

See, I may have to amend what I said earlier then, I thought what TK said was on the PTI show, which would be entirely different.

That may be true if Van Pelt's show was syndicated. ESPN and more importantly in this issue ESPNRadio are still paying him.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)