ESPN to Expand HDTV Coverage

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 3, 2003
OK
http://www.tvpredictions.com/espnhd022207.htm

All Major League Baseball games will be in high-def.

By Phillip Swann

Washington, D.C. (February 22, 2007) -- ESPN says it will broadcast most major sporting events in high-def in 2007.

The expanded coverage will include all NASCAR, NBA, Major League Baseball, Major League Soccer, college football and NFL Monday Night Football broadcasts in HDTV. The high-def games will be on ESPN HD and ESPN 2 HD.

Bryan Burns, ESPN's vice president for strategic business planning and development, wouldn't reveal the cost of the expansion. But he told Broadcasting & Cable that it's "far less than it was when we started this four years ago. Then, it was massive."

As reported here earlier this month, ESPN also plans to begin airing 1st and 10 and Cold Pizza in high-def in June. The sports network already broadcasts SportsCenter, NFL Countdown, Baseball Tonight and a few other studio shows in HD.

ESPN says it will also air approximately 150 college basketball games in high-def this year, which is about one-third of its coverage.

LASooner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 29, 2005
I wonder if this includes "ESPN on ABC" as they have rebranded themselves.

What does this mean for the ESPN Gameplan, Full Court and Center Ice packages?

who_the

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Dec 18, 2004
San Francisco, Calif.
Is PTI and Jim Rome in HD yet? I need to call Dish today for the 622 upgrade.
Both are produced by outside production companies who would first need to upgrade their facilities. PTI (along with Around the Horn) is produced by Atlantic Video in D.C., which must not be getting a HD upgrade at this time. Atlantic also produces Cold Pizza, but from New York.

Kaydigi

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 1, 2004
Both are produced by outside production companies who would first need to upgrade their facilities. PTI (along with Around the Horn) is produced by Atlantic Video in D.C., which must not be getting a HD upgrade at this time. Atlantic also produces Cold Pizza, but from New York.

Thanks for the info, I hope it happens this year. I ordered a 622 today.

james_k_p

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 11, 2006
Slidell, LA
Awesome about the MLS going HD, I have been suffering through SD upconvert for 2 years now!!!!

Yeah, this is great! More games in HD besides the one per week on HdNet!

Now if only Fox Soccer Channel would go HD, I would be one happy camper. It's the perfect sport to tide me over to the NFL Draft and Training Camp!

who_the

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Dec 18, 2004
San Francisco, Calif.
More info: Cold Pizza will be moving from New York to Bristol when it makes the move to HD. It will also be renamed "ESPN First Take" when the move occurs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)