ESPN upsets some by hiring Brits to call World Cup

As pointed out the naive believe that someone in Zimbabwee has a relationship with sports the way you do is naive. Thus articles that tell us how many people there whatched whatever are worse than guesswork. At least guesswork has a basis.

As to the "sport of the next generation" spew. Three generations and counting. The same sort of articles can be found back before the NASL was Market rejected. Anybody can say anything.

Americans will never accept soccer. And soccer's tiny cadre of fans and their arrogant attitutde is a big part of it.

You already made your point, you are much more advanced than the rest of us. We get it already.

Although, you would think someone of such superior intelligence would at least know how to spell Zimbabwee. :rolleyes:

Who's naive? ;)

Sandra

I always wonder how these threads become so emotional. I am still trying to figure out which media outlet is forcing 'soccer' down everyone's throat as well. FFS, BBC America doesn't even put up the results on their news broadcasts. ESPN just started showing results on the ticker but only during their soccer specific broadcasts.

BTW there is quite a following for football in Africa and a couple of skilled players have managed to forage enough food to make themselves into good players.(sarcasm) and not every part of Africa is completely destitute. A few footballers have actually even donated substantial sums of money and time to help various African countries.

Craig Bellamy Foundation The Didier Drogba Foundation
::: ESS ::: The Official Website Of Michael Essien..."Powered By AccurateConsult" - Michael Essien Foundation

The WC, is seen for the most part, as a national pride and as a welcomed distraction to every day life.

As I said before, I could care less if you like football or hate it. It is what it is, there are good things and bad things about it. The rants against it seem to go off the deep end in the US at times. It's a fairly easy sport to ignore if you are not interested. Aside from the 5 minute news story on the WC every 4 years, you usually have to actively search to even find it mentioned in the press.

I always wonder how these threads become so emotional. I am still trying to figure out which media outlet is forcing 'soccer' down everyone's throat as well. FFS, BBC America doesn't even put up the results on their news broadcasts. ESPN just started showing results on the ticker but only during their soccer specific broadcasts.

BTW there is quite a following for football in Africa and a couple of skilled players have managed to forage enough food to make themselves into good players.(sarcasm) and not every part of Africa is completely destitute. A few footballers have actually even donated substantial sums of money and time to help various African countries.

Craig Bellamy Foundation The Didier Drogba Foundation
::: ESS ::: The Official Website Of Michael Essien..."Powered By AccurateConsult" - Michael Essien Foundation

The WC, is seen for the most part, as a national pride and as a welcomed distraction to every day life.

As I said before, I could care less if you like football or hate it. It is what it is, there are good things and bad things about it. The rants against it seem to go off the deep end in the US at times. It's a fairly easy sport to ignore if you are not interested. Aside from the 5 minute news story on the WC every 4 years, you usually have to actively search to even find it mentioned in the press.

People are afraid of the unknown, it's human nature, so they put it down or make fun of it because of their own insecurity. I doubt many who ridicule soccer have watched much soccer, so they don't know what all the fuss is about...but they attack it anyway. ;)

Sandra

People are afraid of the unknown, it's human nature, so they put it down or make fun of it because of their own insecurity. I doubt many who ridicule soccer have watched much soccer, so they don't know what all the fuss is about...but they attack it anyway. ;)

Sandra

the post to end this thread!:up

Sandra
Great Post!:up

It's surprising how many refuse to acknowledge the obvious - that soccer *is* more popular in the U.S. now than it was 25 years ago, and that it *is* being accepted in U.S. homes, thought certainly not to the extent of the big two NFL / MLB.

If you judge a sport's popularity by network TV exposure, then soccer has certainly passed the NHL, and isn't that far behind NASCAR and the NBA. America's embrace of soccer is certainly happening slower than those in the soccer community predicted a generation ago, but it is happening.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts