ESPN3 "App"

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ejb1980

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Vermont
We have YouTube. We have Pandora. Just wondering if there's a reason that there isn't an ESPN3 App in receivers connected to the Internet so that the site could be accessed and games could be streamed directly. It seems like something ESPN would like.

ESPN 3 is only available to those who's ISP allows it, so not everyone would have access to it. Imagine all the calls D* would get complaining that their ESPN 3 "app" wasn't working.

Maybe that would encourage those ignorant ISPs to change their ways if there was public outcry. If the CSRs were trained to (Nevermind, you're right... it won't work...) My ISP (Time Warner) doesn't allow ESPN3 to work without a sub to one of their TV packages with ESPN included in it. But my friend signed into my computer and "forgot" to sign out :)

It is not that an ISP doesn't allow it, it is that they refuse to PAY for it. If net neutrality is the concern you are blaming the wrong party.

I was not trying to blame Directv. With few exceptions (G4, lack of basic HD - let's not go there here, I'll take quality over quantity ANY day), Directv does offer a quality product and seems to at least try and put customers on top. They have no control over Time Warner's greed. I would like the App and if there was a connection error, a professional-yet-to-the-point "this is your ISP's fault, not Directv's" pop-up if it can't be accessed. Perhaps the outcry would be directed at Time Warner and the other ignorant ISPs. When Time Warner didn't offer ESPN3 AT ALL, I know many people who emailed/called/etc TWC a lot to get the service. Now, Time Warner offers it and even puts ESPN3-exclusive games of local interest on special ESPN3 channels on their TV service. I wouldn't want Directv to waste bandwidth on that, but easier access to it on the receiver would be nice. That's all I am saying, not really a big deal.

Seems like you need to post this in the Cable and Fiber Optic forum as it has nothing to do with DIRECTV.

It has plenty to do with Directv. The OP wanted an app on his dvr for ESPN3. If you don't see how that involves Directv, why bother posting here?

An App on my HR24 DIRECTV receiver has nothing to do with DIRECTV? Explain, with 3 sources. I do not accept Wikipedia.

Status
Please reply by conversation.