ESPN3 games (blackout?)

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
Is anyone real familiar with ESPN3? I live in Tennessee and a big Vols fan. And their first game is on PPV. But I noticed on the ESPN3 schedule that it's listed as one of their games. So does that mean I can watch it on ESPN3 for free? Do they blackout games sometimes?

Best I remember you SHOULD be able to watch it on ESPN3 with no problem. Again I say should as my memory is foggy on using it, and since I moved, my internet provider is no longer a partner.
I wish I still had it.

ESPN3 does black out. There will be a map of the blackout zones out soon, likely late next week / early game week.

I used ESPN3 through my XBox 360 all the time last year for college football and basketball. It streams in HD to your tv and at my college apartment we didn't have HD so it was nice. I'm pretty sure the only games that were ever blacked out were the games that were shown on our ABC affiliate locally. You could watch anyof the other ABC games that were shown regionally but not shown in your area.

It was nice because I got a lot of Oregon and USC games that we wouldn't have got on tv in the Midwest. I don't think they ever blacked out any of the games on the ESPN networks. We didn't get ESPNU at our college apartment but a lot of my Central Michigan University games were on that channel last season. About half of the games were available on ESPN3 and about half weren't but none were blacked out. It seemed like they just hadn't decided if they wanted to carry ESPNU on ESPN3 or not.

I've watched a few games myself. I just wondered since its on PPV if I could still get it. I would think since it's available on ESPN game plan PPV, they they would black it out in the state of Tennessee to make more PPV money. I hope I'm wrong.

I've watched a few games myself. I just wondered since its on PPV if I could still get it. I would think since it's available on ESPN game plan PPV, they they would black it out in the state of Tennessee to make more PPV money. I hope I'm wrong.

Looking at their schedule online all the games are still TBD except for 3 so they don't have a television schedule yet. I don't believe it will be blacked out just because its also available on game plan though. Why would they even put it on ESPN3 and then black it out. No one anywhere would be able to watch it so it would just be a waste of space. That being said not every game is available on ESPN3. Its usually the games on the main ESPN channels plus a few extra games like the ESPN plus games or the SEC/Big East/Big 12 network games. They also carry all the regional ABC games so you can watch the ones not available in your region.

I understand there are ways to mask your location which would make it available, but I'm not sure how to do that. Might be worth checking in to...

Of course you could just drive up the road an hour and come hang out with 100,000 of your closest friends. :D

It is going to be hot!!!! Good luck selling. I hear there are 8k tickets still at the ticket office... That's what they get for scheduling such a cupcake...

I don't mind watching on ESPN3.. i've got it setup to feed over to my big 52" LED..but if they black it out thats just dumb! I get so tired of having channels blacked out with a game on a local station but just leaving it black when they could show another on ESPN or ESPN2. I pay for those channels to see SOMETHING not just a black screen!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)