Espnhd

wmichsabre

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2004
Has anybody had issues receiving the ESPNHD broadcast? I can receive it on my SD tv but not my HD??

VOOM service is no help.

Is your box set to output native or 1080i? perhaps your tV can't handle 720p (ESPNHD is 720p)....try setting the box to 1080i

My TV is capable of 1080i. I may have to have service (ack!) come back to my house. They won't do anything more than change the box. The company that is contracted (Tri Tech out of Bay City, MI) is very unprofessional. They left a pen mark on my couch, they didn't know that the antenna they installed was VHF only, and one of the guys actually took a dump in my bathroom.

Because I got the run-around so much about the antenna, I purchased one myself and replaced the original roof top antenna. Anyone want a fringe antenna?

I tried swapping the receivers to get ESPNHD, but that didn't work either. In fact, if both receivers are not connected, I cannot get a signal on the TV. Anyone know why? Is it a resistance thing?

I could go on forever, but the picture is great...

With the diplexer both units have to be plugged in an at least in Standby mode, because the voltage is split between the two.

If your TV is capable of 1080i isn't the question is it capable of 720p?

Is your coax cabling grounded?

Are you having problems with StarzHD (channels 261/262)?

What do you get on your screen when you tune to ESPN-HD?

Dvlos said:
With the diplexer both units have to be plugged in an at least in Standby mode, because the voltage is split between the two.

I am assuming that my TV is capable of 720p. It is a 55" Mitsu - about 5 months old.

I will check to see if the coax is grounded.

I don't subscribe to StarzHD, so I can't check it.

When I tune to ESPNHD, I get a black screen with the message to call 1-800-GET-VOOM to upgrade.

wmichsabre said:
I am assuming that my TV is capable of 720p. It is a 55" Mitsu - about 5 months old.

I will check to see if the coax is grounded.

I don't subscribe to StarzHD, so I can't check it.

When I tune to ESPNHD, I get a black screen with the message to call 1-800-GET-VOOM to upgrade.

It sounds like you do not have the MarqueePack. I would call VOOM to get it. It is supposed to be free.

Jerry

I have a Mits and it only does 1080i as well. I had a similar issue with ESPNHD and the problem was a polarity issue. I had the diplexors replaced and that fixed the problem. To test this, go into your attic or wherever the sat cable and ant cable go into the diplexor. Then switch the lines coming out of the diplexor. If you get ESPNHD on you Mits and not on the SD tv then you know its the diplexor.

Ok this is hte same problem i was getting except I had VaVaVoom and TMC-HD was appearing in the ESPNHD slot, howevr you are getting "Call to upgrade" because you don't have the full Voom packages turned on. Like adamneh said, sounds like a polarity problem, you neeed to find Ilya's post on the matter there are multiple problems but the essence of it is:

Insufficient amounts of voltage is being passed to the LNB on the dish. It could be bad LNB, bad coax cabling around the house, bad diplexer, or one of the two boxes has gone bad.

I doubt you can fix this yourself without experience aside from making sure all the coax is in good condition and not corrodded from age, humidity, or damaged cable shielding. When you call Voom they will tell you to soft boot your STBs, then hard boot etc... save yourself the trouble and do it before you call just in case. Then Voom is going to schedule the service call, when the tech gets to your house he will 9 times out of ten take one look at the "upgrade" screen for Voom and say "Bah! You are an idiot you need to call voom, we don't handle programming!"

Then you look him square in the eye and say "Look here Mr. Ass Crack, I'm a member of the SatelliteGuys forum.. know what that means? That by default I know more than you and your Dad about DBS. The problem is the loss of voltage signal from the STBs to the LNB!"

Dont start worrying about your gear-- ESPNHD was a nitemare all nite for me--sd was fine. I rebooted, tuned on and off- the whole deal but ESPNHD was nothing but pixels and smear. I think its ok now--I havent checked recently. I also have espnhd thru Comcast and thier feed was fine!

Wow, I was getting ready to post this problem. My ESPN HD has been locking up and getting pixelization for a long time. I also have a Mitsubishi 55". Mitsubishi's do NOT have 720p capability. But I do have my connections in the attic and will test to see if it is the diplexors or not. I have 3 STB's so I can test the boxes also.

I will test this weekend.

mattyro said:
Dont start worrying about your gear-- ESPNHD was a nitemare all nite for me--sd was fine. I rebooted, tuned on and off- the whole deal but ESPNHD was nothing but pixels and smear. I think its ok now--I havent checked recently. I also have espnhd thru Comcast and thier feed was fine!

IF that was the case someone would have posted that they weren't able to get ESPNHD, he doesn't get "No Signal Received on 301" like when it's raining, he's getting a "Call 1-800-GET-VOOM to upgrade message" and that's tells me it's gear.

Dvlos said:

I do have problems with StarzHD - BravoHD is on 261, and I can't get 262. In fact, a few of the channels have different feeds than what is supposed to be broadcast?!?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)