Installer Omitted Setup Steps-What Effect?

samiwax

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
Raleigh North Carolina
Just got new install to 65"Toshiba w/integrated tuner. Sensar II OFA. After install check of system settings showed format set to 480i (ever setup?) Also ofa aiming was not checkmarked as being accomplished. some locals missing at virtually same distance and compass heading.One in particular when entered as a RF target comes back with 94 signal but never shows up in scanning. The box activation was not checkmarked and no data had been entered inc ph # etc. In addition no report back has ever been done. No ph line has ever even been connected to the STB. Installer never received it with shipment. What effect might these glaring ommissions have on performance? Lastly,even though I have audio it seems to be in mono and the Tv status reads AUDIO/NONE.(simple dvi link w/ LR outputs.Please forgive the longwinded post and I thank you in advance for any help,comments or advice. Sami.

The box activation part is ok - because it is not working yet - the installer needs to call in to get the box activated.

As for the call back - they are not currently monitoring the report backs, but could at any time, so it is good to put a phone line onto the box. The phone number is blank because when you tell it to report back it will fill in the phone number for you.

samiwax,

1 - The Red Button in front of the STB should be able to change to the resolution of the STB. The same can be done through the System Settings.

Check the VOOM FAQ thread. It answers how switch the resolution of the STB. Remember to set it to a resolution that matches your display.

2 - The OTA scanning function has two requirements to lock into a channel outside your DMA. First it needs a steady signal above 85 in the "RF Screen" (this does not matches the signal quality or strength that station sends out). Second, PSIP data must be available in the stream with at least the following three fields present: Channel Number, MPEG Service Number and Short Name.

Now, if the channel happens to be in the same DMA, it probably means that it needs to be mapped. I do not know which situation you are in. Let me know.

3 - The Audio you can change to stereo on the sytem settings. It seems that you do not have a DD5.1 receiver from your post, is this correct? If so, you won't be able to get DD5.1. You should be able to the audio (depending on your TV) sourround. My TV left/right speakers come in as sorround whenever the program is.

Hope this helps. Keep asking if you have anymore questions.

samiwax said:
Just got new install to 65"Toshiba w/integrated tuner. Sensar II OFA. After install check of system settings showed format set to 480i (ever setup?) Also ofa aiming was not checkmarked as being accomplished. some locals missing at virtually same distance and compass heading.One in particular when entered as a RF target comes back with 94 signal but never shows up in scanning. The box activation was not checkmarked and no data had been entered inc ph # etc. In addition no report back has ever been done. No ph line has ever even been connected to the STB. Installer never received it with shipment. What effect might these glaring ommissions have on performance? Lastly,even though I have audio it seems to be in mono and the Tv status reads AUDIO/NONE.(simple dvi link w/ LR outputs.Please forgive the longwinded post and I thank you in advance for any help,comments or advice. Sami.

you can also go to the installtion wizard and on the very first one you can change it to 1080i it tell you at the bottom which colored button is 1080i

Sean Mota said:
samiwax,

1 - The Red Button in front of the STB should be able to change to the resolution of the STB. The same can be done through the System Settings.

It should also be mentioned that there is a "native" setting that can only be set by using the red button. "Native" mode is set when all 4 light bars are red. This is how I usually like to watch TV on my 16:9 display. This way when I switch to a standard def channel the voom box displays 480 and my Sony tv automatically swithes to "wide zoom" and fills the screen. The only downside is having the program guide display in crappy 480 resolution when watching a standard def channel.

--Dan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)