Diagonal Lines noticeable on solid colors

blitzpb

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
Hello all, I think this is my first post. I am very new to HD and I know I have some very noobish questions so Ill just get it out of the way and ask my first. In addition to just getting Voom I also purchased a 34" Philips HD Tube monitor. I was watching the Olympics on nbcHD last night and I starting noticing moving diagonal lines when there were solid colors behind the athletes. I switched to RushHD to see if it was the channel and I saw the same lines on Rush. Is this likely to be my monitor or is it my Voom?

Thanks for the help.

Nick in SoCal

Welcome to the forum!

Is this on all channels, or just those two? Might be some interference or signal synchronization problem. Are you using component cables or DVI? Check your cables first and also try switching the STB resolution (you can do it in the Installation Wizard). See if it makes a difference.

Your brightness may also be adjusted too high. You may be seeing the trace lines of your CRT based display. Get a calibration DVD or use THX DVD like Pirates of the Carribean and get your new set adjusted before you suffer burnin.

I use Component cables (the ones that came with the voom) between the set and the box. I have a set of monster MV3CV-2M cables on order, will these show a better PQ? and should I wait until these come in before I calibrate?) I have Pirates, is there a calibration function on it?

check you contrast level. Most if not all tv sets come from the factory with the contrast cranked all the way up. Turn the contrast down to 50% and check the color level, set to standard level or 6500. The name of this setting differs between manufacturers. You can do a basic setup by eyeball. Not sure if this will make the lines go away, but when you get your new cables and do the setup you will be in th ballpark.

Yeah I'm going to go with the cables, if they aren't shielded well and you have a jungle of cables and devices running around with it, it could easily cause that banding problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)