ESPNU HD

Correction, they want to add ESPNU-HD for free and Disney won't let them.

Correction, they want the ESPN U HD Feed provided to them at no extra costs like all the other channels provide but Disney wants them to pay twice for the same channel. Once in HD and Once in SD.

Well I just found this week that the big rivalry game between our two local high school teams will be televised on ESPN-U this year. That's huge news for a small town like mine. So come on Dish! Let's get this resolved!

It seems like this thing has been dragging out forever. You would think that one side would have caved by now.

Correction, they want the ESPN U HD Feed provided to them at no extra costs like all the other channels provide but Disney wants them to pay twice for the same channel. Once in HD and Once in SD.

Seriously, Disney?!?! You want to charge twice for ESPNU? ESPNU!?! Have you ever watched a game on ESPNU? They use the worst (cheapest) announcers. You can hardly watch because the announcing is so bad. They make obvious comments, mispronounce names, missed camera work etc. It is terrible. Plus the games they provide match the announcing and production. Tonight's line up consist of Louisville (a bottom dweller in the the Big East, a BCS bottom dweller) vs. Murray State (a small school in Kentucky) followed by Kentucky vs. Western Kentucky. Outside of the state of Kentucky, who is watching this? Come on Disney? You want Dish to pay twice for this garbage? <Seth Meyers voice> Really?!? Get over yourselves and let Dish give their customers the HD they want.

KyDave said:
Good lord, Dish - GET THIS DONE!!! Our first 3 games are on the U!!

Sorry, but I don't want Dish to get this done if it means caving into Disney's demands. If Disney wins, consumers from all providers will lose. Every provider will be forced to pay Disney twice for the same content. And how long do you think it'll take for other content owners to demand terms similar to what Disney wants? It'd be a complete disaster.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

In that case, drop the SD channel and add the HD channel ;)

At the very least, Dish could up the bit rate on the SD feed. SD doesn't look all that bad when it's not starved & butchered.

Watching the Kentucky game last night, the picQ was so bad that at times, you couldn't even see the ball when it was in the air. SD picQ doesn't have to be that bad. Come on Dish... throw in a few more mbits.

Cheers

Agree, that looked terrible. Plus what kills me is that it is the HD feed downrezzed. As evidenced by the shrunken 16x9 picture in the 4:3 window!!!

FWIW if your ISP offers ESPN3 and you have a decent speed Internet connection and an Xbox 360 with Live service you can see quite a few if not most of the ESPNU games in HD quality, might be slightly lower bitrate then Dish's HD CH's but it's a lot better then the SD feed plus it's in full 16:9 not letter-boxed to a 4:3 frame :).

FWIW if your ISP offers ESPN3 and you have a decent speed Internet connection and an Xbox 360 with Live service you can see quite a few if not most of the ESPNU games in HD quality, might be slightly lower bitrate then Dish's HD CH's but it's a lot better then the SD feed plus it's in full 16:9 not letter-boxed to a 4:3 frame :).

I run an HDMI cable from my PC to my AV receiver, and also get a very good picture for ESPN3. Heck last year I ran an S-Video cable from my old PC to the back of my TV and got a better picture than ESPNU. I was doing that last year when a friend came over to watch some games. He said, "Hey, that's a good picture on ESPNU."

It is worth bring this up again because there are LOTS of college basketball games on ESPNU that are basically unwatchable. This is a BARE NECESSITY, DISH! I'd gladly give up HD on 75% of the HD crap channels to get ESPNU in HD. Yeah, I know it is a contractual issue, but WORK IT OUT!

David Taylor said:
It is worth bring this up again because there are LOTS of college basketball games on ESPNU that are basically unwatchable. This is a BARE NECESSITY, DISH! I'd gladly give up HD on 75% of the HD crap channels to get ESPNU in HD. Yeah, I know it is a contractual issue, but WORK IT OUT!

It's not contractual at this point, it's the lawsuit with Disney which means that the possibility of them even agreeing to discuss a contract is slim to none.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)