ETA for Update allowing External Drive Transfering????

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mcdeeee

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
Anyone Know? Scott?? Did they say anything at the Team Summitt?

I still have the 942 and if this update is coming I'd like to archive alot of my recordings before I upgrade to the 622.

:hatsoff:

So, Scott, I saw the pics you took at the Summit of this feature and it seemed fairly mature in its development (full control from the DVR menus, etc.)...what's your assessment of how well it worked and how close they are technically to a roll-out? In other words, in your opinion/analysis, is the 6-month wide vague timeframe they're saying due to technical neccessities or political (read MPAA, et al) considerations?

I'm really, really looking forward to this feature. I even have a big 1TB Maxtor waiting to be used the second they launch the feature/software update...

Remember, right now were thinking you can move it between receivers if there on the same account. Dish could always change things if the MPAA changes requirements or they run into other technical issues with the file security system.

So if you holding out for a 622 just for the External HD to move recordings from a 942 to a 622, one should be cautioned that it could change once its released to producton. I would not wait that long if it were me.

In other words come 6 months, there is a chance you may not be able to move your recordings, Dish has changed things before or promised one thing yet delivered something else.

Does anyone know if external USB drives will be supported on the 522, or are they just doing this for the HD and/or VIP receivers?

I'm wondering of there's any chance I'd be able to transfer SD stuff between my 622 and 522.

There are any number of ways to record SD, we need a solution for HD! In a week I've already almost filled up the 622's drive with concerts from RAVE -- that channel along is worth the price of the HD package.

Does anyone know, on average, how much storage space an hour of DISH HD content will require? Being able to easily extend the storage capacity of a 622 is pretty sweet...

Mine said 30 hours of HD before I recorded anything to it, so if it's a 300GB drive that would be 10GB per hour. But it may not be 300 available GB if part of it is partitioned off for the worthless VOD. Also I don't know whether it's counting the 30 hours as MPEG2 or MPEG4.

Jim S. said:
Mine said 30 hours of HD before I recorded anything to it, so if it's a 300GB drive that would be 10GB per hour. But it may not be 300 available GB if part of it is partitioned off for the worthless VOD. Also I don't know whether it's counting the 30 hours as MPEG2 or MPEG4.

I recall reading that the drive is actually around 400GB, with 1/4 of it reserved for the VOD features.

But 10GB/hour seems about right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)