ETF and Minimum Package

toricred

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 6, 2004
New Mexico
I am considering moving to Comcast and using a Tivo Roamio with 6 tuners. The two Hoppers I need to have to achieve this just isn't working the way I hoped and the SuperJoey didn't work either. Instead of paying the ETF, I'm thinking about dropping my programming to the absolute minimum until the end of my contract? What is the minimum package for the contract? Is it AT120 or Welcome Pack or something else?

Yes, the ETF is about the same price, but since I believe I have 18 months this allows me to spread the cost out for a few more months before paying out the ETF in a lump sum. It also allows me some time to finish off the recordings already on the Hopper and EHDs.

Reactions: Mr Tony
Yes, the ETF is about the same price, but since I believe I have 18 months this allows me to spread the cost out for a few more months before paying out the ETF in a lump sum. It also allows me some time to finish off the recordings already on the Hopper and EHDs.
Are you planning on switching to a 211? The reason I ask is if you go WP, and Hopper, you're looking at $31.99+taxes. If this is an upgrade and not the initial service, it is only $10 per month remaining, not $20. If it is the initial contract it is $20 for each month remaining.

No, he wants to watch his recordings, all of which would be lost because the ViP211 can't read a Hopper EHD.

What hardware do you have now and what isn't working the way you want? The reason I ask is that a super joey is not compatible and will not work with a two hopper system because it marries its tuner to the one and only hopper in a supported system. There is no logic to have the SJ select which Hopper you want to marry it's tuners to and it will be very confused if you place it in anything other than a single hopper system. If you post what you have and what is not working perhaps we could help you out a bit.

Reactions: Tampa8
I had one HWS and a Super Joey until earlier this year. When I moved I had the SuperJoey replaced with a second HWS to add at least one tuner and have an emergency backup which I actually needed a few months ago when my first HWS died and had to be replaced by Dish.

I am currently have 2-3 months left on my original commitment, but I added a Joey earlier this year which extended my contract so that I now have 19 months remaining. One of the main reasons I'm looking to change is that the prices are going up and for the same price I currently pay for Dish I can get Comcast TV with all the channels I watch and Internet at no commitment pricing. $30 less for the first 12 months. That saves me over $100 for the first year and $70 from that point forward. Economically it just makes sense. The fact that the Roamio and Mini would allow me to change cable companies when I move in a couple of years is a bonus.

EDIT:
Actually I am in the last month of my initial contract So the only ETF by the time I get around to a change would be the extension for dropping my owned Wireless Joey and adding a leased Joey.

Reactions: Mr Tony
Dish is trying to argue that the ETF would be $380. Which is interesting since I only have 18 months to go at max and only 1 in my initial contract. They of course also tried to argue that saving money each month wasn't worth losing the service I get from them including the right to have my bill jacked up every year by $10/month. I'm going to wait until my initial contract is up and then try again to see if they would be more reasonable with their math. I guess the $10/month ETF is somehow not applying here. That's too bad.

Message DiRT. If everything you are saying is accurate, then something is being told incorrectly by DISH. Likely misreading on their part(easy mistake to make).

I was planning on messaging them, but none of them appear to be on today when I last checked. I'll try on Monday if I don't see any on later today.

It seems to be a question of money, not that the Hopper system isn't working the way you thought? What are you doing for the back-up for the TIVO?

The Hopper integration is lacking as well. I like the Hopper, but more integration between the two Hoppers (shared recording list and managing timers) is part of the problem. I'd also like Amazon Prime. Of course I can't say I didn't expect this, but after a while it is getting to be a real pain. That said this is a significant amount of savings for a while. Eventually I will have two Tivo units, but because of buying a house we'll start with the X1 for a month or so.

Dish is trying to argue that the ETF would be $380. Which is interesting since I only have 18 months to go at max and only 1 in my initial contract. They of course also tried to argue that saving money each month wasn't worth losing the service I get from them including the right to have my bill jacked up every year by $10/month. I'm going to wait until my initial contract is up and then try again to see if they would be more reasonable with their math. I guess the $10/month ETF is somehow not applying here. That's too bad.
Different fees for different promotions .

Commitment Cancellation
Early Termination Fee with iPad Offer (prorated) $720
Early Termination Fee with Introductory Savings Offer (prorated) $480
Dish'n It Up (prorated) $240
HD Free For Life (prorated) $240

No iPad, my initial contract runs out 1/11/15, I assume Dish'n It Up is when you do an upgrade and start a 24 month agreement from there. If not I'm screwed and will keep Welcome Pack until I can afford the ETF.

No iPad, my initial contract runs out 1/11/15,
assume you mean 1/11/16

I assume Dish'n It Up is when you do an upgrade and start a 24 month agreement from there. If not I'm screwed and will keep Welcome Pack until I can afford the ETF.
Usually when you do an upgrade the 24 month agreement starts that day (its not an add on)

From everything described, you said 18 months it should be $180, if 18 months and 1 days, should be $190. Iceberg is correct in it not extending the contract, it is a whole new seperate contract. The one worth the most is what is charged to you. If ou have internet thru dish, it is a seperate contract and is $20 for each month remaining in addition to your tv contracts.

OK, so the current ETF of $380 is based on the fact that I am not yet out of the original contract for a few more weeks. After that it will hopefully be $10/month

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)