Ethernet and Joey

shortspark

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
texas
I have a Hopper and one Joey in my home. The Hopper is connected via WiFi because it is a long way from my router. Is there any advantage to connecting an ethernet cable to the Joey which is close to the router? I did a search and found this but it makes no sense to me:
Joey to hopper Ethernet only

The way this was configured by the technician was placing the Hopper in the bedroom to run the tv in that room and sending a wire from it through the attic to the Joey, which runs my projector. Everything works fine but since the Joey is close to the router I just hooked it up with an ethernet cable. I am wondering if this is necessary or even if there is an advantage in doing so.

Zero advantage. There's a part that could be installed next to the Joey called a hopper internet connector, but the only reason to use that in your current setup would be if the internet connection to your hopper via Wi-Fi isn't strong enough. Some people prefer using the hic, but it's just not feasible all the time. I'd unplug the Ethernet from the Joey.

Reactions: shortspark
Just because I could - I ran all three of my joeys over Ethernet (no coax required).
Service was equal to that of a coax connection.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)