Ethernet hookup?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

silentgarth

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 5, 2008
Noblesville, IN
I have a question regarding VOD. As of right now my main phone line is acting up ( need to put call in to AT&T). What do I need to do to hook an ethernet cable to the back of my VIP722 so I can use the VOD feature?
I have tried taking the cable out of the back of my computer and pluging it in to the box to no avail( the cable does come out of a DSL Modem) :confused:

Please be nice I'm still a noob at this.

Thank you for your help.

P.s My DSL works just fine. Just cant get a dial tone with my regular phone.

i think that if you hook the ethernet cable to it you have to go to network setup
then diagnostics and do a test.. thats what i did with mine and it works fine
but u may not be completly correct

You need to have a traditional local area network in your home. If all you have is a broadband modem connected to one computer via ethernet or USB cable that will not work.

What you need to do is connect your broadband modem to a router with several ethernet ports on it and feed one of those ports to your computer and another to your 722. Then set the router to DHCP. Go into your DVR and set the menu to detect your broadband connection and look for the IP address that will be assigned automatically.

There are more complex systems that use multiple IP switches and even wifi (wireless) routers, firewalls etc. If you see yourself getting lots of ethernet using devices in your home, you should consider a wireless router to save the trouble or running a bundle of cat5 wiring everywhere back to that router or switch.

In my house, I have both but my Home theater has one ethernet wire. Then behind the equipment cabinet I have an 8x1 switch with 6 devices connected to it. Seems all my program sources like to be connected to the internet now.
xbox360
VIP622
PS3
Toshiba A30
Samsung BD1400
Sling Box

At this point I only have one port left on that switch.
However, some of my latest additions have wifi too so I could use that.

In my house I also have 2 printers and a scanner on wireless lan connect, and 11 computers on both cat 5 as well as wireless. I also have security cameras on IP addressing. I have a home based business which has two offices and a work room. Since this business has some mission critical internet connection needs, I not only have one high speed cable modem which sometimes goes down but back it up with a high security wireless broadband connection service too that's slower but never goes down.

In my house I also have 2 printers and a scanner on wireless lan connect, and 11 computers on both cat 5 as well as wireless.

I'm going to move my current D-Link wireless into the living room so I can connect my Dish receiver to the net. So I need to replace it with a wireless that will also share a USB printer. Any recommendations on a router?

Forgive my jumping in but can wireless be mix & match. I know next to nothing about this stuff but have managed to set up a Linsky modem & router downstairs with 3 computers hardwired and they work fine. My 622 is a little further away than I want to run a wire, so I stuck a Netgear wireless adapter in the rear USB but I get a "not supported" message. Any ideas (in simple terms:)?

My guess is the 622's OS/USB is not going to have drivers for other than storage media. You could go wireless, but you'll need to run an ethernet cable from the 622 to an access point configured as a "workgroup bridge", so that it communicates with your main access point. A workgroup bridge is considered by the main AP as any other client.

You'll need to configure the same SSID and if used, WEP key on both APs.

If it were me, I'd go the "Homeplug" route. Ethernet over your 110v power circuit. I haven't used it, but I've read the 622 supports it, and if you search the forums, there have been several recent threads on it. You'd need to buy an adapter that connects your existing switch to the power line signal, assuming you have an open port on the switch.

Thanks. I guess I need to weigh the cost / aggravation of the wireless access point vs snaking a 30 foot ethernet cable and I'm thinking the hardline will be less problematic once it's done.

I dont plan on having but two things right now. My desktop pc and the 722.

Would a " Ethernet Switch" be ok or do I need a " Router"?

Never mind found the answer allready..

Any advice were to find a inexpesive one?

Could we please get our terminology correct. VOD does not require an ethernet connection but rather is the stuff put on the hidden half of the hard drive. Programming aquired through ethernet is DishOnline!

OK!!!! LIKE I said I'm NEW to this so Sorry if I dont know all the lingo mumbo jumbo!!!!!!

Oh don't take it personnaly, it's not just you! I think most the people here are confused on this as I was untill just a few days ago. Even then, the terminology is not without exception!

I bought a 75ft cat5 cable on Ebay for $11. Ran it like I had my phone (along the trim boards and stapled to trim around doorways.). Took about 20 minutes to run the cable to my Linksys and 5 minutes to get it online thru the 622 menu.

Pretty painless. I had to go this route since I am getting rid of the ATT landline. No more of my money will be going to that crappy outfit.

Bought a router at Fry's on Monday. Took about 5 minutes to get it up and running.

All good now. Only thing is I wish there were more movies that were FREE. And also allot of the TV shows are only like 3 - 7 minutes long, WTF?

Dish Vip it's all cool. I know what you mean.

Could we please get our terminology correct. VOD does not require an ethernet connection but rather is the stuff put on the hidden half of the hard drive. Programming aquired through ethernet is DishOnline!

Perhaps it wasn't asked correctly but the OP may be refering to the receivers need to "phone home" to correctly log PPV events and prevent a "non-connection" fee.

If I understand correctly, Ethernet can do this as well as the phone line. As for Ethernet beyond that feature, DishONLINE is the only other capability at this time. However, I understand that additional "interactive" capabilites are being considered that would use the Ethernet connection. So going forward, more customers may be interested in how to do this.

Waltinvt, I did the hardwired route. Once connected, I placed my wireless router at the 722 and used the physical connection. The wireless was then used for my computer instead of the receiver. So hardline to the receiver and then wireless to my computer. The routers blinking lights is hidden behind the HDTV, so it's pretty well hidden. Using one of the newer "802.11n" draft 2.0 routers and wireless cards for my computer. While not a completely official specification yet, the results work very well and allow for pretty fast wireless speeds. It would be really cool if Dish worked out some streaming technologies for us users that have computers. If the 622/722 was turned into a "media extender" we could have our family photos on a slide show and also some MP3 music. Would also be "Super cool" if the media extensions could be used to allow your PC to be used for DVR storage like the external USB HDD can be.

I have dsl internet with a connection speed only up to 1.5Mbps.
I assume I am out of luck trying to connect internet to my 622?

Not at all. Just plug in the ethernet cable to the 622 and go into the broadband setup. You may need a router or switch if you do not have one. I depends on what kind of DSL "modem" you have.

Ted

Not at all. Just plug in the ethernet cable to the 622 and go into the broadband setup. You may need a router or switch if you do not have one. I depends on what kind of DSL "modem" you have.

Ted

Thanks, Ted. I thought maybe my connection would be too slow. I do have a router so I may have to give it a try.

I wouldn't try to download any HD shows at first.

Nice name!

Highlander-FinalBattle.jpg

Thanks, Ted. I thought maybe my connection would be too slow. I do have a router so I may have to give it a try.

I've a 768Kbps connection and it worked fine. Just took a long time. When renting "My Favorite Martian" from DishONLINE it took 12 hours to download. Not fast at all, but certainly doable if I plan a day in advance before doing the rental. Once downloaded you have some time before you watch the show. Once you start to actually view the video, then you have 24 hours.

Have to try some HD content next.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)