Ethernet on 622/722

Has there been any talks about adding the ability to stream media from your PC to the 622/722 through the Ethernet connection?

Now that Echostar is buying Sling, I wouldn't expect it as it would eat into potential sales for their other product.

...of course, it would be very cool if they could incorporate Sling Box functionality into the ViP DVRs, but I fear that they would have a major "enabling fee" associated with it. :)

i find it amazing that people are expecting announcements for slingbox built into E* receivers... the deal is not even done yet, it will probably take a few years before you'd see that built into E* receivers, they just lanuched the 722 i'd expect a few more generations before you see that kind of feature... and it'll probably suck and not work well.

i find it amazing that people are expecting announcements for slingbox built into E* receivers... the deal is not even done yet, it will probably take a few years before you'd see that built into E* receivers, they just lanuched the 722 i'd expect a few more generations before you see that kind of feature... and it'll probably suck and not work well.

Who said anything about Dish DVRs having Slingbox built in?

I stated
it would be very cool if they could incorporate Sling Box functionality into the ViP DVRs
...nowhere does it imply that I am expecting anything anything of the sort. My comment was simple speculation for the future, with no model numbers or predictions as to when or if the inclusion of Slingbox functionality with regard to DVRs would happen.

That said, the ViP in... well, ViP, which according to some sources stands for Video over IP. This is already true if you count one-way content pushed to the DVR via the yet-to-be-enabled Video on Demand.

Nowhere have I read that "Slingbox like" Video over IP functionality will be enabled for the future, nor has anyone from Dish ruled out any type of "Slingbox like" functionality.

Keep in mind that Echostar invested in Slingbox at least a year ago (perhaps more) which leaves open the possibility (however slim) that some type of technology may be incorporated into current (doubtful) or future DVRs.

I fully expect (speculation for those of you who may read this as fact) that we will see Echostar develop and come to market with a home server type unit (shown as a "proof of concept" prototype over a year ago) that will incorporate Video over IP streaming and SlingBox functionality within the next five years.

Consider the evolutionary path of their products and the fact that aside from performance enhancements, they can't really add much other compelling features without evolving toward something of this nature.

...of course I once predicted optional microwave oven/glove boxes on luxury vehicles, so I could be wrong. ;)

Cheers,

Spence