ethernet question

jptaylor

Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
Hey I've read several forms about hooking an Ethernet cable into a 622 instead of a phone line. Well its hooked up, went into the menu then into system settings then to broadband. It has an IP an appears to be online and fine.

So should I just call Dish now and ask them if they will take away the $5 lack of phone line fee?

Has anyone successfully done this yet (gotten rid of charge since they are using Ethernet)

Is there anything else i need to do like 'call in' or something? if so where do I go in the menus to do this?

Well ill try calling in tomorrow, but am interested in others feedback on this. Only had Dish a week so the other forums left me confused on this issue.

Thanks!

Thanks. I did that. It says broadband connection ok, but the callout fails. I guess this is the issue other people were having now too. Guess it might just take some time to work, not supported yet?

Thanks. I did that. It says broadband connection ok, but the callout fails. I guess this is the issue other people were having now too. Guess it might just take some time to work, not supported yet?

I had the exact same problem, it just took some time to be able to finally call out. Give it a few hours.

So if we don't call out ,does DISH do the calling via ethernet? Or do we now have the task of calling out everyday by ethernet to try to connect to DISH so we can avoid the $5.00 fee? I have yet to be able to connect via ethernet except to upload files. Do I need to disconnect the phone lines so I can rely soley on the ethernet?

On the Tech forum I believe they said once connected up to Ethernet the $5 a month charge would come off but it may take up to two billing cycles, my guess is it needs to make sure it is connected continuously for a certain period once they are sure it is the fee will come off automatically.

So in the mean time while we are waiting for the ethernet to fully connect to DISH in two billing cycles, and we don't have a phone line connected, we end up getting a call by the AUDIT NAZIS asking us why we don't have the phone lines connected. I wish that DISH would put out a definate word about this one way or another in writing. I hate relying on the tech chats because they are easily dismissed by the csrs, AUDIT NAZIS etc as not knowing the policies or that they have changed them since they said this. I would like it in writing or a press release by DISH saying on this date you can easily connect just to the ethernet and no phone lines if you are on cell etc, and will no longer receive a $5.00 programming access fee. I have been audited before and I do not like the way they talk to you. I also have a land line connected to 2 of my 622s, but I don't use my land line with a phone because of all the calls from charities wanting money and because someone thinks I am a fax number at all hours of the day and night. When I add the 722 to the other receivers I hope that I can just get the internet connection through the electrical wiring using my ethernet bridge and will not receive any harrasing audit calls or receiver cut offs because I don't answer the land line.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)