Ethernet vs. Wireless download speed

Have you ever thought of putting together a "Networking for Dummies" FAQ type article? I suspect there are others like myself with a mental block when it comes to this stuff that could use some simplified guidance.:)

God if there wasn't so many makes, models and personal varieties!

And from my hardwired desktop

Keeping in mind I have a crappy laptop with a USB wireless network adapter but that seems like quite a difference. I have 10/1 DSL service.

Also make sure you are using USB2.0 As USB1 has about a 2mbit limit. give or take

And make sure you are connecting and staying conencted to your own network, and not jumping onto maybe a neighbors network

Also make sure you are using USB2.0 As USB1 has about a 2mbit limit. give or take

And make sure you are connecting and staying conencted to your own network, and not jumping onto maybe a neighbors network

It could very well be usb 1.0, its an old laptop. Doesn't bother me though, I just use it for basic surfing, not downloading or anything.

Do you know if FIOS is a shared technology or is it a distinct connection like DSL?
In many areas, DSL is no longer unshared. In my neighborhood, it all goes through a multiplexer that is about three blocks from my house. They did away with my "continuous metallic connection" several years ago. Of course nobody around here uses DSL because cable broadband is available but who's gonna pay $30+tax for 256K?

"a multiplexer" are you sure you are not referring to the CO BOX; and if so that does not mean its shared service. $30 for 256k; who is that? I pay 39.95 for 7mbps DSL.

"a multiplexer" are you sure you are not referring to the CO BOX; and if so that does not mean its shared service.
I'm 25,000 wire feet from the CO. These "substations" use stat muxes because there's absolutely no point in not multiplexing (aside from being able to say that you don't). I won't even go into the frame relay sharing that happens once the traffic gets to the CO.
$30 for 256k; who is that?
Qworst.

"a multiplexer" are you sure you are not referring to the CO BOX; and if so that does not mean its shared service. $30 for 256k; who is that? I pay 39.95 for 7mbps DSL.

He probably has a DSLAM in his neighborhood. He has a dedicated copper line to the DSLAM, but then that is a shared facility back to the CO. The shared facility between the DLSAM and the CO is typically ATM. Then an ATM switch at the CO bridges the connects to their IP backbone to the the internet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)