European Soccer in HD on Dish

I don't see where this has been answered. Has something been announced?

Which of the three questions ?

If you are referring to FSC-HD , no provider has announced that they are carrying it. I doubt that any provider has announced anything they are doing in January, for that matter.

No provider has announced they are carrying BBCA-HD, and that already exists....

It's always a matter of $$$.

PS The HD quality of the match on the HD Alternate Sports Channel was about average for HD sports on Dish. Note that if you were watching the half hour pre-game show, they showed some stretched SD feeds of other matches, so maybe that is what nlk was referring to...

PPS The second "leg" of the match will be shown live only on Fox Soccer Channel on Wednesday, 8/26.

Help needed

How do I find the ManUtd-Wigan match on the 22nd. I have the Gold package with Platinum HD so I have ESPN2. I also still have Setanta. I do not see this game on my 722 (evem reloaded the program guide) nor on the Dish online guide nor even at the ESPN site. I clearly must have a misunderstanding from this thread about what is being broadcast in the USA.

Help requested.

How do I find the ManUtd-Wigan match on the 22nd. I have the Gold package with Platinum HD so I have ESPN2. I also still have Setanta. I do not see this game on my 722 (evem reloaded the program guide) nor on the Dish online guide nor even at the ESPN site. I clearly must have a misunderstanding from this thread about what is being broadcast in the USA.

Help requested.

ESPN has not updated their listings yet. It is not known whether ESPN, Setanta and Fox have decided exactly which match will be shown on which channel - that choice is often made only days before the match.

Some people on the web have posted list of "ESPN matches" but those are educated guesses based on an opinion of which match they will choose to show.

From ESPNmediazone.com for ESPN2 and ESPN2-HD:

09:54 AM to 12:00 PM
Soccer Barclay's Premier League Jjb Stadium Wigan, England Wigan Athletic vs. Manchester United

Taped: 08-22-2009
(note no HD symbol, as there is no HD feed available in the 10am ET time slot on Saturday of the Premier League)

Given the track record of Tribune Listings Service, this may not end up in the Guide in time to set a regular timer, so wait until Friday and if it is not in the Guide, then make a manual timer using the above EASTERN TIME info, adjusting for your time zone.

On Monday, they list:

02:52 PM to 05:00 PM
Soccer Barclay's Premier League Anfield Stadium (Liverpool) Liverpool, England Liverpool vs. Aston Villa

Taped: 08-24-2009 HD
(note the HD symbol, as the match on Monday is usually available as an HD feed)

Last edited:
The Wigan Athletic vs. Manchester United game is on!
On ESPN2HD. A lot of action in the first 20 minutes!

Feed was great on Direct tv for the match on ESPN2

Straight Sky international HD feed with the international announcers!!!!!! Could not ask for anything more except for FSC and Setanta to go HD

No straight in the onion bag tommy smyth ;)

I am pretty sure it was in HD. Close-up shots looked great. It's just the wide-angle views that had issues.
That was a good a game! What a win!!

Close-up shots looked great. It's just the wide-angle views that had issues.
Classic description of good quality SD.

Everyone who watched on ESPN2-HD reported that it seemed good for SD and poor for HD.

Remember that "SD" in Europe is 576 lines and widescreen, so it is automatically better quality than normal US SD which is 480 lines and 4x3.

Monday at 2:50pm ET should be full HD, Liverpool vs Aston Villa, a good contest.

Next HD match is :

ESPN2-HD - Saturday 8/29 7:30am ET - Chelsea vs giant-killers Burnley

followed by:

Barcelona vs Sporting de Gijon - on ESPNHD (US) on August 31 at 2:55pm ET. Note the correct channel: ESPN(HD). [ESPN2HD will have U.S. Open Tennis].

Just WOW!

I've repeatedly did google searches for FSC in HD every few months for the last couple of years since I've become a fan of soccer. I was very excited to see EPL matches in HD on ESPN starting this year, but to hear that FSC is launching an HD channel, well, that just makes my year!

HD is so important to soccer. It makes the matches 100 times more fun to watch! Woot!

Manchester United in High Definition on Tuesday (probably today as you read this).

Dish Network Channel 9514

Tuesday 9/15 - 2pm Eastern Time until 5pm Eastern Time, including Fox preview show in HD.

Besiktas vs Machester United

UEFA Champions League

Also on Channel 444 in both HD and SD, as well as many Regional Sports channels.

Wednesday:

SD on Setanta in Free Preview on Dish Network Channel 406:

Wednesday 9/16 - 2:15pm ET to 5pm ET

Standard de Liege vs Arsenal

UEFA Champions League

other matches, see your Guide - FSC Channel 149 and Setanta Channel 406 (I think both are in free preview right now).

Wednesday:

SD on Setanta in Free Preview on Dish Network Channel 406:

Wednesday 9/16 - 2:15pm ET to 5pm ET

Standard de Liege vs Arsenal

UEFA Champions League

Thanks for this update...the DVR is all set to go!

The Dish Network Setanta Free Preview is scheduled to end on "September 16th".

No word on when it will end, but Dish often makes changes on Wednesday at the time that happens to be about an hour before Champions League kickoff.

So, if you were planning on DVR-ing Setanta today, and plan to subscribe after the Free Preview, you should do so now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)