EV-DO broadband to 722?

skyeblues

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
I did search before posting this and really could not find anything to address my question. I have an EV-DO Verizon broadband card in my Dell laptop. It works great for wireless internet, as DSL nor cable are available in this rural area which I live. I recently had my land phone line shut off as I never used it except for occasional fax and also hookup to my 722 receiver. I figured then even if I get the $5.00 fee for not hooking the 722 to a line, it is cheaper than paying the bill for a land line.
My question.....is anyone aware of a router which will connect from my EV-DO Broadband wirerless to my 722 to avoid the $5.00 fee and the nag screen? Is that possible?

I did search before posting this and really could not find anything to address my question. I have an EV-DO Verizon broadband card in my Dell laptop. It works great for wireless internet, as DSL nor cable are available in this rural area which I live. I recently had my land phone line shut off as I never used it except for occasional fax and also hookup to my 722 receiver. I figured then even if I get the $5.00 fee for not hooking the 722 to a line, it is cheaper than paying the bill for a land line.
My question.....is anyone aware of a router which will connect from my EV-DO Broadband wirerless to my 722 to avoid the $5.00 fee and the nag screen? Is that possible?

Short answer: Yes, you can.

Long answer: You will have to jump through a few hoops (and spend some $$$) to do this.

1: Hook your EVDO card up to a unit such as the CradlePoint CT-350
2: Connect up a wireless / wired router to the CT-350
3: Use your laptop via the wireless connection and connect to your 722 via a ethernet cable. This would be easiest as long as you can get connection to EVDO at the CT-350ish device close to the 722.

Costs? CT-350 is around $125-150. Wireless router is another 25-75. Your laptop should have wireless built-in, if its a recent model. A short ethernet cable to connect the router to the 722 should be a few dollars if it doesn't come with your other hardware.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

IIRC you can plug your EV-DO card into a Kryocea KR-1 wireless router and you'll be good to go for both your laptop (wireless) and 722 (wired).

FWIW I have a KR-1 that I used with a Sprint EV-DO card for a short while before I switched to AT&T 3G which has better coverage/reception here.

Talon Dancer

skyblues,

I would think you could enable internet connection sharing on the computer that your EVDO card is connected turning your notebook into a router, and share the cellular broadband via the wired ethernet port. I haven't done it with an EVDO card, but have tried it with a wireless ethernet card, sharing it to the wired connection.

Miner

...I would think you could enable internet connection sharing on the computer that your EVDO card is connected turning your notebook into a router, and share the cellular broadband via the wired ethernet port. I haven't done it with an EVDO card, but have tried it with a wireless ethernet card, sharing it to the wired connection.....
That certainly works. In fact that is how I use my AT&T 3G card BUT... I do it with an old computer since it basically converts the computer with the EV-Do (or 3G card) into a dedicated wireless/wired router. Unless someone knows how to force the Dish receiver into "dialing home" on demand.

Talon Dancer

skyblues,

I would think you could enable internet connection sharing on the computer that your EVDO card is connected turning your notebook into a router, and share the cellular broadband via the wired ethernet port. I haven't done it with an EVDO card, but have tried it with a wireless ethernet card, sharing it to the wired connection.

Miner

The downside I see to that is that you would have to leave the laptop powered on and connected all the time. When E* & D* choose to make connections to the net is not published (not that I can find) and they are done intermittently, so its not like I can share my internet connection thru the laptop and then disconnect at will. (It works like a champ with another computer, though.)

1: Hook your EVDO card up to a unit such as the CradlePoint CT-350

Thats how my whole house uses the internet (well its a Sprint card but same theory). Cradlepoint MBR1000 mounted by front window with a little extended antenna on the window. If i go away i pop the USB card out of the Cradlepoint and take it with me and laptop.... come home and pop it back in.

I sure appreciate your responses. Too bad we can't know when the call is being made to Dish. I found that Kyocera KR1 Mobile Router on a google search this morning before I posted my question. Wasn't sure when I saw it if it would work with my verizon card.

I sure appreciate your responses. Too bad we can't know when the call is being made to Dish. I found that Kyocera KR1 Mobile Router on a google search this morning before I posted my question. Wasn't sure when I saw it if it would work with my verizon card.
The best place for EV-DO (and 3G) info is.

3Gstore.com, Verizon & Sprint EVDO Modems, Antennas, Amplifiers, Routers

Note they also support a forum like this one. So you can post your detailed networking/router question(s) there :)

Talon Dancer

The downside I see to that is that you would have to leave the laptop powered on and connected all the time. When E* & D* choose to make connections to the net is not published (not that I can find) and they are done intermittently, so its not like I can share my internet connection thru the laptop and then disconnect at will. (It works like a champ with another computer, though.)

True. I'm actually down to only 1 notebook at the moment, but for a while had 2 or 3 older ones. With the display turned off, I could dedicate 1 into a router. It does take a lot of months at $5 a month savings to offset any outlay into dedicated hardware.

I do have an EVDO card that if I can get a Kyocera or Cradlepoint card, I may have to dump my cable modem service when my $15 a month promo ends.

Miner

I would recommend a CradlePoint CTR500 router - those work pretty good. It has both the wireless router as well as a slot for your EVDO card - it supports USB and ExpressCard.

I echo the recommendation on the 3GStore - they are awesome.

I set my 622 to phone home at 3AM and it works great.

My config is slightly different - Sprint USB card into a Cradlepoint MBR1000, NetGear HomePlug adaptor plugged into the MBR1000, VIP622 plugged into the wall. The 622 communicates withe the HomePlug adaptor which passes it too the MBR1000 and from thence to the intarwebs. Easy :)

My config is slightly different - Sprint USB card into a Cradlepoint MBR1000, NetGear HomePlug adaptor plugged into the MBR1000, VIP622 plugged into the wall. The 622 communicates withe the HomePlug adaptor which passes it too the MBR1000 and from thence to the intarwebs. Easy :)

That would have been mine except my 622 is on a UPS which of course destroys the Homeplug signal getting to it. Funny enough though its ethernet is plugged into a Homeplug adaptor on the wall which carries it to the MBR1000 :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)