Evaluation: Component vs. DVI

tbhausen

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 17, 2004
I use VOOM with in InFocus ScreenPlay 7200 projector which supports both input formats, making comparison convenient. I initially felt component was better, but I've changed my mind after careful evaluation. Here's why:

The biggest problem with component seems to be crushed blacks on my system. This is apparent even on the pillar bars of a 4:3 picture--they're a fair bit blacker than with DVI. A lot of shadow detail is swallowed up with component. The colors initially seemed to "pop" more with component, but I've concluded they're a bit garish and over-saturated.

The overall contrast of the DVI picture seems a bit lower, but much more detail is thus preserved. Colors are a tad muted by comparison, though more natural than component and still, at times, over-saturated. The on-screen menus are sharper on DVI, as well.

I don't have a signal generator or access to any HD test patterns on anything other than Digital Video Essentials, and I don't have a DVI DVD player, so I haven't tweaked the picture settings in the projector at all. BTW, my box is set to output 720P, as this is the native resolution of the DMD in the SP7200.

It occurs to me I saw no options to change pillars or letterbox bars to gray. This certainly could cause problems with some display devices (burn-in). Anybody heard of this issue arising (glad DMD's don't have this problem, and the gray looks horrible anyhow)?

Food for thought... comments and observations welcome.

Todd/Indianapolis

you may try setting voom's output to native and see if your projector does a better job with format conversion. just a thought.

My observations exactly, Todd, but since the sharper image that prevails with DVI shows more of the picture flaws, I stick with Component. I can also do a direct comparison on my PJ and the DVI is definitely sharper and with some tweeking I can get a damn nice image except for the noise that's prevelant with Voom. I don't get this noise OTA or with Dish, so it's not my equipment.

RE: the gray bars, the Voom stb does not have this feature, but the Dish 6000 does. The 6000 also has on-the-fly HD format/stretch/zoom functions.

Regarding Native or Auto resolution, this is what I use and it works great. It allows me to have control over the SD image via my PJ, otherwise, it just gets stretched to fit. :no

Doesn't the setting in the VOOM stb menu over-ride the 4:3 "stretching" regardless of the output setting? Barthk2, I'm going to try setting the box to "native" and see if I see any difference (let the scaler in the fpj to all the work). I'll report back right here.

Thanks for your input,
Todd/Indianapolis

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts