VOOM Installs vs. The Other Guys

Amphicar770

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 26, 2004
An interesting note which I guess highlights some of the issues with VOOM installs.

When I called VOOM many weeks ago they provided me with an install date about two weeks out. When I later followed up with the local installer (TCI) they said they could not do that date and we rescheduled almost another two weeks later.

Due to weather I have since had to reschedule twice. Each time is almost two weeks before the next available install date. Thus, I can not even plan around a weather forcast.

Today I get a flyer in the mail from TCI (The local installer) advertising D*. The funny thing there is that the flyer advertises, "Guaranteed Next Day Install". So, with VOOM I need to schedule two weeks out, with D* I can do 24 hours. I can say that when I did E* that the scheduled install was also within about 3 days from order date and they showed up on time.

My latest install date is a week from today (23 March). Maybe this time it will happen.

Amphicar770 said:
Today I get a flyer in the mail from TCI (The local installer) advertising D*.
Sounds like TCI is a reseller of E*, not just an installer subcontracted by E*. Which makes a big difference!
If you have an independent V* reseller in your area, they might be able to offer a similar express service. You can check VOOM website for a list of independent VOOM dealers in each area.

Amphicar770 said:
An interesting note which I guess highlights some of the issues with VOOM installs.

When I called VOOM many weeks ago they provided me with an install date about two weeks out. When I later followed up with the local installer (TCI) they said they could not do that date and we rescheduled almost another two weeks later.

Due to weather I have since had to reschedule twice. Each time is almost two weeks before the next available install date. Thus, I can not even plan around a weather forcast.

Today I get a flyer in the mail from TCI (The local installer) advertising D*. The funny thing there is that the flyer advertises, "Guaranteed Next Day Install". So, with VOOM I need to schedule two weeks out, with D* I can do 24 hours. I can say that when I did E* that the scheduled install was also within about 3 days from order date and they showed up on time.

My latest install date is a week from today (23 March). Maybe this time it will happen.

where do you live?

About half way between Reading, PA and Philadelphia, PA.

And yes, based on the flyer it does appear the TCI is a D* and E* reseller.

I should point out that the installer seemed knowledgable other than thinking DISH points to 65 degrees rather than the 72 degrees I see referenced elsewhere from my zip (19468). I also can not blame them for weather. Just frustrating that the installer tells me he is only booked for a handful of installs this week but the office tells me the earliest they can do is (in this case) 9 days later.

Amphicar770 said:
About half way between Reading, PA and Philadelphia, PA.

And yes, based on the flyer it does appear the TCI is a D* and E* reseller.

I should point out that the installer seemed knowledgable other than thinking DISH points to 65 degrees rather than the 72 degrees I see referenced elsewhere from my zip (19468). I also can not blame them for weather. Just frustrating that the installer tells me he is only booked for a handful of installs this week but the office tells me the earliest they can do is (in this case) 9 days later.

Amphicar770
if you can send me you name and phone number in a pm or email Tyork37@msn.com i will see what i can do about get you install sooner than this.

tyork