Installs Inc

jmd102354

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 28, 2005
PA
Just called VOOM to confirm install date of 3/30/05 and asked for installer name. I was trasnsfered to Install, Inc and givin a phone number of a installer in Lake Ariel, PA. I called number only to find it is a disconnected cell phone. I called VOOM back and was told they spoke to installs inc and they (Installs, Inc) will try and contact installer and have installer contact me !
Incredible ! :mad:

No, not really "Incredible" but you are doing the right...

jmd102354 said:
Just called VOOM to confirm install date of 3/30/05 and asked for installer name. I was trasnsfered to Install, Inc and givin a phone number of a installer in Lake Ariel, PA. I called number only to find it is a disconnected cell phone. I called VOOM back and was told they spoke to installs inc and they (Installs, Inc) will try and contact installer and have installer contact me !

thing by being proactive. I won't make excuses for VOOM/Installs, Inc. (see my posts last year of problems we had!) but it seems like users of all the sat services have their horror stories. At least you are smart enough to call ahead of time and make sure you get your install done.

Good luck!

Still enjoying HDTV under cloudy (rain coming) Seattle skies, Gill

jmd102354 said:

I would call VOOM back and tell them you had made plans to be home on that date and to get in touch with Installs Inc and make sure that they have an installer in line for that date,either the installer that was given the job or some other installer

Installs Inc. is the lowest end low ball installer. I refuse almost all installs they have offered to me, except those in which the homeowner request additional custom services, in which they agree to pay for additional services directly.

Mike500 said:
Installs Inc. is the lowest end low ball installer. I refuse almost all installs they have offered to me, except those in which the homeowner request additional custom services, in which they agree to pay for additional services directly.

Install Inc is not the problem it is just these lazy installer that they hire. Most of them are from company that work for installs inc. also sound like to me if you only except custom install than you only in it for the extra buck.

tyork

Things are changing, there are local retailers out there for VOOM, doing installs and sales.... This will change things.....

TYORK said:
Install Inc is not the problem it is just these lazy installer that they hire. Most of them are from company that work for installs inc. also sound like to me if you only except custom install than you only in it for the extra buck.

tyork

Do you work for $3 an hour. That's what some of the installs come out to. You supply all of the cables, connectors, grounding blocks, mounting hardware, travel to an install with your truck, 75 miles each way and pay for everything else. You pay for all training, insurance and other expenses. You get a whopping $105 for four receivers in four rooms.

Lazy installer? Some days, you don't even clear $3 an hour. Illegal aliens don't even work that cheap.

Mike500 said:
Do you work for $3 an hour. That's what some of the installs come out to. You supply all of the cables, connectors, grounding blocks, mounting hardware, travel to an install with your truck, 75 miles each way and pay for everything else. You pay for all training, insurance and other expenses. You get a whopping $105 for four receivers in four rooms.

Lazy installer? Some days, you don't even clear $3 an hour. Illegal aliens don't even work that cheap.

I have to say that i make more than 3 dollars an hour yeah there is some install that you don't make a much as others but it all come out in the wash.

By the way than if you feel that way than i would not except any job from Installs Inc .....

A lot of new guys really get suckered in to the business. They go for free training and are told that they can do 3-5 installs in a day. They multiply that by 5-6 days a week. They are particularly chosen to see the easy installs and given the wrong impression of the business. The gross payments appear to be large, until they find out about all of the supplies and toos they need, and especially the vehicle that they need. By the time that they are in the business fully, they have quite a few dollars invested. A lot of that is on credit. The bills come due, without regard to how much work they do.

The business was good about five years, ago. The pay was good, and they wanted quality installs. But the competition and the satellite tv providers, along with the fulfillment companies like Installs Inc. low balls the bidding on the contract. The installers have to supply the same services that they do, with more and more labor, like multiswitches and OTA antennas for the same money or less than they had been previously paid. There is no increase in payment as the price of gasoline goes up.

So, the quality of installs and the quality of the training continues to go down. As an independent installer, I refused to do more than two systems a day. That is not because I am lazy. It is because I am not driven by quantity. I refuse to take any job that I cannot be totally satisified that it has met a very very high standard. Since I've been in the electrical contracting business, including standard electrical, ota antennas, structured network wiring, and satellite systems for over 30 years, all of my equipment is fully paid for as well as my 7 year old service vehicle.

Like multilevel marketing firms that in reality has their own distributors as their best customers, the usual installer is caught with a large supply of tools and install materials and a lot of bills. They work and work some more to make ends meet. Eventually, in usually 18 months to three years, theg get burnt out and give up. That is why you see so much excess inventory of install materials on eBay.

Dealers do not stay in business because of install income. The real price of a good install is really higher than what they are paying installers. That's why Voom has so many complaints on their installs.

Mike500 said:
A lot of new guys really get suckered in to the business. They go for free training and are told that they can do 3-5 installs in a day. They multiply that by 5-6 days a week. They are particularly chosen to see the easy installs and given the wrong impression of the business. The gross payments appear to be large, until they find out about all of the supplies and toos they need, and especially the vehicle that they need. By the time that they are in the business fully, they have quite a few dollars invested. A lot of that is on credit. The bills come due, without regard to how much work they do.

The business was good about five years, ago. The pay was good, and they wanted quality installs. But the competition and the satellite tv providers, along with the fulfillment companies like Installs Inc. low balls the bidding on the contract. The installers have to supply the same services that they do, with more and more labor, like multiswitches and OTA antennas for the same money or less than they had been previously paid. There is no increase in payment as the price of gasoline goes up.

So, the quality of installs and the quality of the training continues to go down. As an independent installer, I refused to do more than two systems a day. That is not because I am lazy. It is because I am not driven by quantity. I refuse to take any job that I cannot be totally satisified that it has met a very very high standard. Since I've been in the electrical contracting business, including standard electrical, ota antennas, structured network wiring, and satellite systems for over 30 years, all of my equipment is fully paid for as well as my 7 year old service vehicle.

Like multilevel marketing firms that in reality has their own distributors as their best customers, the usual installer is caught with a large supply of tools and install materials and a lot of bills. They work and work some more to make ends meet. Eventually, in usually 18 months to three years, theg get burnt out and give up. That is why you see so much excess inventory of install materials on eBay.

Dealers do not stay in business because of install income. The real price of a good install is really higher than what they are paying installers. That's why Voom has so many complaints on their installs.

i will agree with on part of your statement. But i have been with Installs for over a year now not to bad here so far and i am with you i don't like to due no more than 3 jobs a day . cause anyone that is doing more than that is just throwing them and and going Half a@@ jobs i have seen it over and over again.

I guess what bugs me is you guys get on here and dog out Installs Inc for one thing or the other but the bottom line is you don't have to work for them that is totally your choice and the way i look at that is that it can't be all that bad or you would not be working for them in the first place you just have to have something to complain about so you try to make them look bad.

tyork

I guess it depends on where you are. In rural areas, there are 1+1/2 hour drives to the job and back. If all of your jobs are in new prewired subdivisions closed together, that's O.K.

I do not work for Installs Inc. I am a special subcontractor for several dealers, who are contracted to Installs Inc. I only do high end AV and satellite systems. I used the highest quality cables connectors and components. Most all of my work are in wall fishes. I've spent on occasion more than two weeks one massive install of satellite TV, network and electrical wiring on very expensive homes.

Update

Called VOOM (steve)this am 3/29/05 and was told the installer quit and there is no body in my area able to install the equipment . They have NO idea when someone will be able to come out to my house and install . I asked if I was just supposed to sit by the phone and wait for a appt for the next 2-30 days. They (voom) replied the dispatcher is looking into it but can't say when someone will call me.
Yes incredible . :confused:

Update: I called VOOM back and asked where did the equipment go that they shipped if the contractor quit. The reply: "it never shipped"
Great ! So if I didn't make all these phone calls to VOOM and Installs, I would be waiting for the contractor tomorrow. Now I see why they (VOOM) are losing potential customers. As much as I am disatisfied with E, at least they have there sh*t together.

Post to Wilt over on VOOM/Yahoo. He seems to get...

jmd102354 said:
Update: I called VOOM back and asked where did the equipment go that they shipped if the contractor quit. The reply: "it never shipped"
Great ! So if I didn't make all these phone calls to VOOM and Installs, I would be waiting for the contractor tomorrow. Now I see why they (VOOM) are losing potential customers. As much as I am disatisfied with E, at least they have there sh*t together.

things done. However, if TYORK can't get something done.... Good luck.

Still enjoying HDTV under cloudy/windy Seattle skies, Gill

SeattleVoomer1 said:
things done. However, if TYORK can't get something done.... Good luck.

Still enjoying HDTV under cloudy/windy Seattle skies, Gill

When I wanted Voom installed -

I looked up the Voom dealers in my area and checked out their reputation.
Called one of them that had a good reputation, and asked that dealer to order Voom for me.

I did not order the install from Voom.

I called the dealer back a couple days before the scheduled install and made sure the equipment had arrived. It had not, but he said he had a tracking number. Said we were still on for the schedule time for the install. He had a little bit of trouble finding my house. (The state rearranged the roads since he had been in that area. He called from his cell phone, and I explained how to get to the house.)

He had to put the dish on a different part of the house then I wanted to be able to see the satelitte at 61.5 degrees, and when it snows I have to get a ladder to brush the snow out of the dish. (Found that out the hard way.) This is okay, I would have liked the Voom Dish near where the Dish Network Dish was as I could reach that without a ladder, but there were some tall trees in the way.

It took about 2 hours to set up the Voom Satellite and get everything going.
We had to call Voom to get it activated as their phone number for activation was not working that day.

I had been reading about people ordering Voom from Sears, and from the Voom website and not getting it installed when it was supposed to be.
So I figured I would take it upon myself to make sure it was ordered from a dealer that would install it when he was supposed to.

roland

jmd102354 said:

pm your info to me and i will see what i can do for you

tyork

they have had there chance....(not voom, the install Co.).. he has been waiting to long... again PM or contact me and I will take care of this

mudpup2003 said:
they have had there chance...... he has been waiting to long...

just trying to help , I have got alot people help that have trouble before so i am sure i can get him help too.

t

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)