Ever had D* CS ruin a perfectly fine evening?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mercury

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2004
I did last night. Spent two hours from 7pm until 9pm with 3 different people about a problem that appeared last night. I noticed that all my HD network stations had gone dark, including the west coasties where I live. So at 7pm, when my cellphone charges are zero, I called. CS #1 spent 25 minutes with me trying to diagnose the problem. All of my waivers were in order as was my billing. So after 25 minutes off to the level 2. Oophs, D* hung up on me, with their lovely "Good Bye" message. Call again, and got someone else, I complain about being cut off, this guy spends about 30 minutes of my time before he puts me on hold for 19 minutes and never comes back.

I hang up and call back really pissed. I spend the next hour of my time with CS #3. She spends about 50 minutes working very pleasantly thru lots of options before telling me it will cost me $60 dollars for a service call because obviously I have a hardware problem. I push back saying NO WAY. Then because I've been with D* for 8 years, she graciously compromises down to $30. I say NO WAY. So she explains why its my problem. Since I can't get any HD channels, its obviously my problem. Oophs, I do get HD channels, just not the Network channels, I patiently explain. Oh, she says.

So I go back on hold for a few minutes and she returns all cheerful and informs me that D* has a KNOWN ISSUE with H10 receivers after cutting off their customers from the distant network feeds. It only took 2 hours for D* to tell me this.

Some customers like me who should be getting both coast feeds were inadvertently cutoff due to a D* problem. She told me this problem should be resolved in the next couple days. Oh. Hmmm, I think they must be stumped if it takes that long.

There were other ridiculous diversions during my conversations, but safe to say, while my calls to D* arent frequent, they have been far from the professional experiences I had with them from about 1997 until maybe 2-3 years ago. Something has changed with them, and its not good for customer retention.

mercury said:
Oophs, I do get HD channels, just not the Network channels, I patiently explain. Oh, she says.

Did I miss something? Did you explain to the CSR right up front what exactly you were missing past "my HD" and did you inform of the make & model?

I didn't include everything in my post, otherwise it would have been longer than it already was. Yes, of course the basics were discussed with all three CSR's down to the receiver id and serial number. I also told each of them that HBOH and ESPNH worked, but the networks didn't. In the course of 2 hours, all of this basic stuff got repeated and rehashed...endlessly.

mercury said:
I didn't include everything in my post, otherwise it would have been longer than it already was. Yes, of course the basics were discussed with all three CSR's down to the receiver id and serial number. I also told each of them that HBOH and ESPNH worked, but the networks didn't. In the course of 2 hours, all of this basic stuff got repeated and rehashed...endlessly.

I finally got to the bottom of this yesterday evening with another series of calls, disconnects, long waits. I had a lengthy CSR computer record, so that made the conversations much shorter and routing faster into the HD group.

The news was this. You have to have seperate waivers for the SD channels and the HD channels. Even though I had waivers on all SD network channels, I didn't have waivers for the HD channels. Result? No HD network viewing until my locals grant me a HD waiver. Nonsensical, but thats government work for you. He did say he initiated waiver requests for me, wait two weeks to find out. I do remember asking for each of the SD waivers years ago, I never was told I had to get ones for HD. Has anyone else been made aware that a HD waiver was needed?

He also told me I will not get the east coast HD feeds, just the west coast where I reside. This doesn't affect my SD feeds though. I'll continue to receive all my east coast feeds, along with west coasts. So SD good, HD bad. Doesn't make sense but thats the explanation.

mercury said:
No HD network viewing until my locals grant me a HD waiver. Nonsensical, but thats government work for you.

Actually its your local affiliates, their local cable TV partners, and the NAB hard at work! They continue to fight to make sure that DBS viewers are not allowed equal treatment under the law. This helps them maintain their illegal monopolies.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts