Everyone Else But DISH!!!

Nope. Not at all. The issue is not bandwidth, it is contractual. Even Satracer confirmed that more HD is coming in less than 90 days (this was a few weeks ago)

Who said anything about bandwidth. Just that you are crossing your fingers that they add more. So the clock is ticking on Satracer's prediction?:D

Less than 1/3rd of all customers want sports-related programming. There are far more movie buffs or series-holics that purchase Pay-for-TV for those reasons than the former. Charlie is wise to not waste much cash on sports. The sports fans have, and will always whine. But even if he bought MLB, there would be the next major sports package after that, and the one after that which sports fans would want. You buy HBO (True Blood, Deadwood, etc) or Starz (Spartacus) and you're done. You buy Extra Innings or Center Ice and you're going to keep paying; because when they run out of seasons those leagues just launch more channels and different camera angles of the same games. Gotta keep the multi-million dollar paycheck players happy somehow.

I read the story about ATT and the MLB Network. No where does it mention that ATT has the Extra Innings package. Wow whats charlies excuse now?

Sports are available on AT120+, a relatively lower priced tier. Sports are the reason your bill is $5 higher. Blame Charlie and ESPN for all of the other package costs. Just $5...
If they add it, I hope it's a la carte somehow, or only in the top tier or a special sports pkg. Why should my bill go up for some high ticket channel I'll never watch?

I know, same old argument. Rinse, lather, repeat.

I read the story about ATT and the MLB Network. No where does it mention that ATT has the Extra Innings package. Wow whats charlies excuse now?

DSC05130-1.jpg

Less than 1/3rd of all customers want sports-related programming. There are far more movie buffs or series-holics that purchase Pay-for-TV for those reasons than the former. Charlie is wise to not waste much cash on sports. The sports fans have, and will always whine. But even if he bought MLB, there would be the next major sports package after that, and the one after that which sports fans would want. You buy HBO (True Blood, Deadwood, etc) or Starz (Spartacus) and you're done. You buy Extra Innings or Center Ice and you're going to keep paying; because when they run out of seasons those leagues just launch more channels and different camera angles of the same games. Gotta keep the multi-million dollar paycheck players happy somehow.

That's why there's 17 million plus subs with D* and 14 million plus with E*.... If that trend was true then wouldn't the total sub counts be reverse? Also if there were so many movie subs out there then why is HBO having such a hard time getting people to sign up? HBO has had 4 consecutive quarters where they have loss over 1 million subs! Netflix Narrows Subscriber Gap With HBO | paidContent In line with Dish's losses. To me that is overwhelmingly alarming that subs are looking for sports, where there isnt a decline, versus movies where there IS a MAJOR decline.

Subs are not subbing to movies, although its nice to have, they are subbing to sports and general entertainment packages. The movie channels are a really nice complement, but isnt necessary with the netflix streaming age upon us.

My response from DISH when I made the inquiry.... I guess they would rather me give MLB $120 for the season than DISH...

Dear Mr. Jirka,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. Dish Network understands your concerns. DISH Network will not be carrying MLB Extra Innings, the out of market baseball package, and MLB Network this season. The demands made by MLB were not in the best interest of our customers. Fortunately, you can still receive baseball games all season long on ESPN, FOX, Regional Sports Networks, Superstations and local networks.

You can still continue to receive access to Major League Baseball programming on other DISH Network channels such as ESPN, Regional Sports Networks, and local networks that carry Major League Baseball today. You can also enjoy MLB EXTRA INNINGS online at MLBTV.com

The details about available packages and what MLB.com offers is below:

2 levels of packaging

MLB TV Online Package

Offers enhanced audio/video

Monthly - $15, Entire Season - $90

MLB TV Online Premium Package

Customers can view TV quality picture online

Monthly - $20, Entire Season - $120

Both Packages include:

All out of market regular season games

Archived games

Condensed games

Game day audio

We apologize for not meeting your expectations in getting the programming that you want. We, at Dish Network are doing our every effort to provide every programming to get our customers the satisfaction that they want.

We thank you for your input as we continually review our options in order to provide a compelling lineup for our viewers. Please use Charlie chat on channel 101, Dish Home on channel 100 and or logon to our website for future programming announcements.

Thank you for your e-mail. General billing and programming information can be found at www.dishnetwork.com. If you have any further questions or concerns, you can reply to this email or call 1-800-894-9131 for more specific information.

Sincerely,

Angeli C.-4QU

TID: OR-Cadillac

DISH Network eCare

Please include all previous correspondence when replying.

I believe you are missing the point of the thread. Most could care less about the extra innings package, especially now since it is available on mlb.tv and it is able to stream to many internet tvs and other devices. I for one, can have it on my Samsung HD tv if I chose so. Many of the users on sat guys would like the mlb.network channel, which most providers have except dish. It is similar to the nhl.network only dealing with baseball instead. Its a nice channel for the baseball fan.

That's why there's 17 million plus subs with D* and 14 million plus with E*.... If that trend was true then wouldn't the total sub counts be reverse? Also if there were so many movie subs out there then why is HBO having such a hard time getting people to sign up? HBO has had 4 consecutive quarters where they have loss over 1 million subs! Netflix Narrows Subscriber Gap With HBO | paidContent In line with Dish's losses. To me that is overwhelmingly alarming that subs are looking for sports, where there isnt a decline, versus movies where there IS a MAJOR decline.

Subs are not subbing to movies, although its nice to have, they are subbing to sports and general entertainment packages. The movie channels are a really nice complement, but isnt necessary with the netflix streaming age upon us.

I lot of the total has to do w/ the fact that D* has been around longer, and is better know. More brick & mortar places sell D*. Also D* runs allot more ads for their service and it may even have to do w/ cities that are carried for locals as well. It's not as simple as more ppl want sports over movies or visa versa.

For what like 2 years? Dish could have the same brick and mortar opportunities if they agressivley pursue them.

As far as dish not changing, that's their problem. They are so hard headed that they can't adapt to market changes and demands any more. All because Charlie doesn't like to be told what to do. It's hurting the business, and I'm expecting more of the same.

I noticed that Charlie is offering 5 packages under 50 bucks. It kind of hard to press that when your dvr fees are well over your industry peers. Also, these low end coustomers are the very coustomers that Charlie tried to remove from the books because they were too "risky."Now hes trying to appeal them back. I don't think its going to work.

Assuming that Zero327 is correct and that less than 1/3 of Dish customers care about sports, lets go with 1/4. That's 3.5 million accounts. Just for arguments sake lets say 1/2 of that number are hard core fans who would pay an extra $2.00 per month for the channel, so we have 1.75 million accounts willing to pay a grand total of $3.5 mil per month or $42 mil a year that's money for the taking between Dish and MLB, not to mention the increased viewer numbers MLB can take back to their advertisers.
Let me say I have no idea about start up costs and such things for Dish. But with these kind of numbers one would think it would be to both parties advantage to agree on some kind of deal.

Doesn't MLB network only air 1 game a week, if that, during the regular season? Almost all of the games are on RSNs or affiliated networks (which in my case leaves no option but Comcast, and they're not allowed within 20 feet of my house.) Before they go raising subscriber rates for a channel that doesn't affect a majority of dish customers I'd rather them resolve some of the other issues (Disney HD) and add more national HD before adding a channel with no benefit to a majority of viewers.

mike11, the only problem I see with your figures is that while MLB network is year round, is anyone really watching it Nov - March? Even still that is $21 mil for a half year network based on your a la carte numbers which is still significant money for a niche channel.

In regards to customer churn rates... how will D* fare this year if there is no NFL season? Seeing as how that is their bread and butter I can't imagine that would end well for them, especially since they have to pay for it regardless of if there is a season or not due to their agreement.

Doesn't MLB network only air 1 game a week, if that, during the regular season? Almost all of the games are on RSNs or affiliated networks (which in my case leaves no option but Comcast, and they're not allowed within 20 feet of my house.) Before they go raising subscriber rates for a channel that doesn't affect a majority of dish customers I'd rather them resolve some of the other issues (Disney HD) and add more national HD before adding a channel with no benefit to a majority of viewers.
Thursday Nights they have an exclusive game with their crew. Saturday's they usually have a DH by using feeds from the RSN's. They have matinee games during the year and in September during the home stretch they had games of importance almost nightly. So its more than "1 game a week"
mike11, the only problem I see with your figures is that while MLB network is year round, is anyone really watching it Nov - March? Even still that is $21 mil for a half year network based on your a la carte numbers which is still significant money for a niche channel.
do people watch the NFL Network during the offseason? probably
MLB Net is the same way. They have lots of good programming during the offseason :)
DodgerKing listed some in this thread

In regards to customer churn rates... how will D* fare this year if there is no NFL season? Seeing as how that is their bread and butter I can't imagine that would end well for them, especially since they have to pay for it regardless of if there is a season or not due to their agreement.
they get refunded when the NFL go back to work (if the season is lost). Also there are lots of people who have D* who dont have NFL ST

they get refunded when the NFL go back to work (if the season is lost). Also there are lots of people who have D* who dont have NFL ST
No money would be refunded if the entire season is lost, to D* or the broadcast networks. Instead, the TV rights deals with the networks would simply be extended by one year. With D*, it get a little more confusing:

A. DirecTV
The NFL’s contract with DirecTV was to expire at the end of
the 2010 season. The previous contract had no work-stoppage
provision. As a result, the NFL would receive no revenue if it
locked out the Players. DirecTV had the exclusive right to
broadcast a “Red Zone” channel featuring scoring opportunities from
every regular-season Sunday afternoon game. The NFL wanted to
offer its own version of the Red Zone.
The NFL and DirecTV began negotiations in July 2008. The
extended contract provides that DirecTV will pay a substantial fee
if the 2011 season is not cancelled and up to 9% more, at the NFL’s
discretion, if the 2011 season is cancelled. Of the total amount
payable in the event of a cancelled season, 42% of that fee is nonrefundable
and the remainder would be credited to the following
season. As a result, the NFL could receive substantially more from DirecTV in 2011 if it
locks out the Players then if it does not. DirecTV would have
considered paying more in 2009 and 2010 “to have [the work-stoppage
provision] go away.”

http://images.nflplayers.com/mediaResources/files/Lockout%20Insurance%20Case%20Decision.pdf

What's amazing is according to this the NFL did NOT raise the rates of NFL ST in 2009 and 2010.... Yet Directv jacked up the rates of costumers with this package anyhow.
Probably building a contingency fund for their nonrefundable payment due in the event of cancelled games...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)