Everyone Else But DISH!!!

Thursday Nights they have an exclusive game with their crew. Saturday's they usually have a DH by using feeds from the RSN's. They have matinee games during the year and in September during the home stretch they had games of importance almost nightly. So its more than "1 game a week"

By 1 game a week I meant 1 exclusive game per week. The rest of the games can be viewed via the RSN feed provided you get that feed.

do people watch the NFL Network during the offseason? probably
MLB Net is the same way. They have lots of good programming during the offseason :)
DodgerKing listed some in this thread

I'm not sure if MLB Net can be compared to the NFL Network though. NFL season is almost year round due to the way the draft is run and the fanfare leading up to it. I can't even remember the last time an MLB draft even made my local news and aside from free agent signing or steroid aligations baseball doesn't even make the news at all.

And while I'm sure that this thread is catering to the die-hard baseball fans that would watch the channel in the offseason, the majority of people who would watch the network would be interested almost exclusively in that 1 game per week mentioned before, and even then it would be due to the it being the home team or gambling until September as I can't picture ever wanting to watch two teams I have no association with.

By 1 game a week I meant 1 exclusive game per week. The rest of the games can be viewed via the RSN feed provided you get that feed.

I'm not sure if MLB Net can be compared to the NFL Network though. NFL season is almost year round due to the way the draft is run and the fanfare leading up to it. I can't even remember the last time an MLB draft even made my local news and aside from free agent signing or steroid aligations baseball doesn't even make the news at all.

And while I'm sure that this thread is catering to the die-hard baseball fans that would watch the channel in the offseason, the majority of people who would watch the network would be interested almost exclusively in that 1 game per week mentioned before, and even then it would be due to the it being the home team or gambling until September as I can't picture ever wanting to watch two teams I have no association with.

Actually you are missing the boat. Most people I know watch the NHL Network and/or the MLB Network, for the highlights shows and the live look in of games in progress. I must admit I did watch some the winter hotstove shows the MLB Network had during the offseason. I doubt many people sub to these channels just to get a game of the week.

What is amazing to me is that if I want the NFL RedZone, BigTen Network, ESPN Classic, and the additional sports programming, I have to shell out an additional $7.00 a month. Why can't they add the MLB Network to that tier and everything is good to go. MLB has an additional 13 million potential advertisers, and DISH has a channel that, judging by this thread alone, a lot of people are interested in. They cancelled the MLB extra innings last year, so give me another option.

PS: Not to get too caught up in this though, COX will be here tomorrow for an install and I will be dropping DISH after 10+ years of giving them my money.

yeah but you can watch other games via MLB Network....you would need MLB EI to see those games on the other RSN's

Maybe it's time that dish rethinks their strategies. It's obviously not working out. The thing I hate is the fact that dish is so hard headed that they won't listen to good customers. Stop blowing people off! There is a very good reason why your loosening subs!

You hit it dead center. I guess if Ergen the thieve is happy, he does not care what we think. In Puerto Rico Dish has gone in reverse in trying to please its' 365,000 good spending paying customers. But if he lost close to 160,000 in the last quarter he better get ready for more. My sub expires in about 2 weeks and I have stopped making my 194.00 minimum payment after 14 years. They asked for it, they got it. Every day a channel is gone in HD from us.

If Ergen wants fire, we will provide the fuel.

yeah but you can watch other games via MLB Network....you would need MLB EI to see those games on the other RSN's

Exactly! Just like the NHL Network, they have games available that are outside your RSN's coverage. The NHL Network has 3-5 games a week and I don't think any of them are their own production -- they are all RSN (or CBC) productions.

i just hope Charlie wake up and add this Channel !!!
i just cant believe this crap from Dishnet its wrong if u ask me
if they continue like that they will lose more Suds

I lot of the total has to do w/ the fact that D* has been around longer, and is better know. More brick & mortar places sell D*. Also D* runs allot more ads for their service and it may even have to do w/ cities that are carried for locals as well. It's not as simple as more ppl want sports over movies or visa versa.
Dish started two years after DirecTV, so there is only a two year difference. Compare Dish now to DirecTV 2 years ago and DirecTV had more subs 2 years ago than Dish has now. Plus, that does not explain losing subs for multiple quarters (didn't they have like 3 to 4 net loss quarters in the last two years?)

Exactly. To those without EI, the games shown on MLBNet is the only other way they can view it, so for MOST subs, MLBNet provides many game per week that they would not otherwise be able to see

That's why there's 17 million plus subs with D* and 14 million plus with E*.... If that trend was true then wouldn't the total sub counts be reverse? Also if there were so many movie subs out there then why is HBO having such a hard time getting people to sign up? HBO has had 4 consecutive quarters where they have loss over 1 million subs! Netflix Narrows Subscriber Gap With HBO | paidContent In line with Dish's losses. To me that is overwhelmingly alarming that subs are looking for sports, where there isnt a decline, versus movies where there IS a MAJOR decline.

Subs are not subbing to movies, although its nice to have, they are subbing to sports and general entertainment packages. The movie channels are a really nice complement, but isnt necessary with the netflix streaming age upon us.

Why have more people overall shopped at Safeway instead of Albertson's? Because Safeway had their doors open first... DTV and DISH are the same deal. They're on even ground, but DTV got their doors open first. Everything else is just Direct and Dish trading the same subs back and forth as the promo jumpers whine too much.

Also if there were so many movie subs out there then why is HBO having such a hard time getting people to sign up? HBO has had 4 consecutive quarters where they have loss over 1 million subs!
You really don't already know the answer to that question? It's a simple price to value failure.

With the quick availability of the Oprah channel, the addition of every concevable shopping channel and the lack of sports channels it would seem that Charlie is not trying to reach the manly man demographic.
Not every manly man cares about sports or wants to pay for it, which is why I chose Dish.

I dunno with you guys, but in my opinion? Most of Dish Network's subs are old people, with little or no interest in sports. Either that, or I'm just getting too many oldie callers here in the billing/tech department.

A lot of people are saying, "not at this price Charlie". Directv is gaining subs, DISH is losing subs due to equipment fees and sports.

doens't matter As long as the investors in the company stock are collecting dividends and the price of the stock continues to rise long term, Charlie is doing his duty.
Sad but true...The customers are secondary to the price of Dish Network stock.

If they add it, I hope it's a la carte somehow, or only in the top tier or a special sports pkg. Why should my bill go up for some high ticket channel I'll never watch?

I know, same old argument. Rinse, lather, repeat.
as much as I enjoy baseball, I agree with you. There's no reason why niche channels should rammed down the throats of people who will never watch them.

as much as I enjoy baseball, I agree with you. There's no reason why niche channels should rammed down the throats of people who will never watch them.
Most channels on TV are niche channels. Will you say the same about Discovery or the other science Niche channels, CNN - FNC or the other news niche channels, We - Oxygen or the other female niche channels, Spike or the other male niche channels, ex?

yes, most tv channels or niche. but can you really even begin to compare the price of Oxygen to MLB channel? kinda like comparing a Kia to a Porsche

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)