Evil Gadget Sale Book, Gadget Questions :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shredder

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 2, 2006
OK, A Co worker who should know better handed me a book filled with tech gadgets that was addressed to occupent, and I bookmarked 15 pages :)..But I have some questions on the gadgets I bookmarked..

Harmony Advanced Universal Learning Remote ITIIR880
Anyone have this device? One of the problems with current cheaper learning remotes is remembering wich button controls wich function, and button programable limitations... Do these E Harmony remotes have this limitation, and can you create and label custom buttons on the screen?

Belkin Pure A Wireless Media Adapter BKNAV55000
'Works with home theater devices, sends content from home theater components to computer video capture device'. could this finally be the solution i've been looking for to transmit the Cablecard signal to my TV Tuner Composite input?

HDTV Component AV Distribution Amplifier CEIAV501HD
I think it provides a similair function as above, but isn't wireless, and 300's cheaper..

Wireless HeadPhones...
Will these work with my creative Zen player? Or for my laptop? The ones I was looking at where made by SennHeiser

Tivo Series 2
Records from 2 Basic Cable channels, 1 Basic Cable,and 1 Digital Cable
Another solution to record Plasma TV Digital channels... will it work?

Wireless roll up, Illuminated Keyboard GRTGLW1000 Grandtec usa
Supposedto be indestructable and washable... Anyone have one?

Not a gagdet, but something Cool. 1-Color LED Under Body Neon lights
they look like the Scanner Kitt has from Knight Rider. Something neat to put on the desk :). LTGLEDUL11

For the diet plan>>

IronMan Body Composition scale TNABC554
Highly Accurate Body Composition monitors weight, healthy range, muscle mass, total body water percentage, tone mass, metabolic age, phyique ratin, visceral fat, body fat percentage and BMR.. I'd be REALLY curious if anyone has something similair, knows how acurate it is, and HOW it determines these volumes..

Shredder said:
Tivo Series 2
That would be the Series 2 DT. It'll record 1 Digital channel (from a cable box) and 1 analog channel at the same time or two analog channels depending how you set it up.

It is limited to Standard Definition programming though.

The Tivo Series 3 is due out sometime in the 2nd half of 2006. It will support cable card and high definition recording from Cable or ATSC. It is also a dual tuner unit.

Many people are eagerly awaiting the Series 3 Tivo.

OK thanks ;)

Now, assuming I sign up for the Tivo series, how much is basic service? Also, how easy is it to transfer to DVD?

Anyone have this device? One of the problems with current cheaper learning remotes is remembering wich button controls wich function, and button programable limitations... Do these E Harmony remotes have this limitation, and can you create and label custom buttons on the screen

I have the harmony 880. The connection between buttons on the remote and the regular buttons is pretty good. You can add "extended buttons" like changing the Sound field (DD, 2ch, Theater A etc) to the display a button connected to the lcd.
couple of issues i have had,
1. changing activities (i.e watch dvd to watch dish) doesn't always set the correct TV input or sound output. So i have to go do manually.
2. Turning on, if i only point the remote briefly, not all parts come on, have to aim it for 3-4 seconds. Ive tried tweaking some of the timing settings and had mixed results.
3. The charger base and the remote don't always connect, Logitech replaced it with a revised version, free and all was well.
4. there is no way to create scripts, i.e many commands in one button, an example "menu", item "3", item "4" and select "ok"
Summary. Despite these little issues it was money well spent, i only use 1 remote instead of 4, 99% of the time.

Shredder said:
OK thanks ;)

Now, assuming I sign up for the Tivo series, how much is basic service? Also, how easy is it to transfer to DVD?
Tivo just changed their whole pricing structure. It used to be buy a Tivo and pay $12.95/mo for the first one and $6.95/mo for additional ones. Anytime you activate a Tivo you are commiting to 1 year of service.

You can still do this if you buy a Tivo from a retailer or private party.

Tivo's new pricing plans roll up the cost of the Tivo and the service into a single payment. Depending on the term the price can vary from $19.95/mo down to $16.95/mo.

Most people I've talked to think Tivo is nuts for these new pricing plans but I think the intent is to come in around the 'dvr fee' + remote fee + outlet fee that the cable companies charge.

If DVD burning is your intent, then one of the DVD burning models is probably the way to go. With one of these you'd be able to take shows right from your now playing list and put them on DVD. The burned DVDs will have the Tivo look/feel for menus.

The last thing I should mention is that it usually isn't worth buting the 80 / 140 hour units over a 40 hour unit if you the least bit computer literate. Upgrading the drives can be as easy as buying a drive from PTVUpgrade pre-configured, or if you don't mind issuing a couple commands at a Linux prompt you can get step-by-step instructions how to do the upgrade here:

http://tivo.upgrade-instructions.com/

I used the upgrade CD image (free from PTV Upgrade) and these instructions to upgrade all three of mine.

I wound of buying the 880 model for $190 at Amazon. Couldn't be happier, although I can't figure out for the life of me how to move different menu items up a screen on the remote. I tried the configuration thing on the walkthrough web setup, but nothing...

Harmony 880

Not sure about that Model # but it should be the same as the 880 that I have...FANTASTIC (you get used to the small buttons or there are lesser models with larger buttons)...You can also rename button functions on the color screen!

i did a review on it several months back...excellent fit, excellent macros , knows about everything I have tried it with, programs itself over the net, VERY flexible...IF you have a device it does not know about (doubtful) it learns also!! WORKS GREAT!!:)
Jeff

Shredder said:
OK, A Co worker who should know better handed me a book filled with tech gadgets that was addressed to occupent, and I bookmarked 15 pages :)..But I have some questions on the gadgets I bookmarked..

Anyone have this device? One of the problems with current cheaper learning remotes is remembering wich button controls wich function, and button programable limitations... Do these E Harmony remotes have this limitation, and can you create and label custom buttons on the screen?

Belkin Pure A Wireless Media Adapter BKNAV55000
'Works with home theater devices, sends content from home theater components to computer video capture device'. could this finally be the solution i've been looking for to transmit the Cablecard signal to my TV Tuner Composite input?

HDTV Component AV Distribution Amplifier CEIAV501HD
I think it provides a similair function as above, but isn't wireless, and 300's cheaper..

Wireless HeadPhones...
Will these work with my creative Zen player? Or for my laptop? The ones I was looking at where made by SennHeiser

Tivo Series 2

Wireless roll up, Illuminated Keyboard GRTGLW1000 Grandtec usa
Supposedto be indestructable and washable... Anyone have one?

Not a gagdet, but something Cool. 1-Color LED Under Body Neon lights
they look like the Scanner Kitt has from Knight Rider. Something neat to put on the desk :). LTGLEDUL11

For the diet plan>>

IronMan Body Composition scale TNABC554
Highly Accurate Body Composition monitors weight, healthy range, muscle mass, total body water percentage, tone mass, metabolic age, phyique ratin, visceral fat, body fat percentage and BMR.. I'd be REALLY curious if anyone has something similair, knows how acurate it is, and HOW it determines these volumes..

I picked up a Harmony 880 via a smoking deal from Dell (Going to cost me $118 after the $20 rebate).

Overall, it's pretty slick. At first I wasn't real sure if I liked it but it's growing on me.

While their setup is very well geared towards the average consumer, I wish they had an advanced mode so I don't have ot navigate a series a question to get to the particular setting I want to tweak.

So far I've had to 'teach' it how to shuffle DVDs in my DVD changer and aside from that it's going well. I'm working on getting my custom remote address for the 4DTV working but I expect that'll work out fine.

My only real complaint is that it seems to have a bit of delay built in. Using it vs the tivo remote is a lot different. The Tivo's remote is MUCH snappier / responsive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)