Evo with water damage replaced...for free!

Symbol

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
Puerto Rico
My evo fell into the pool around a week ago, since I didn't have insurance I didn't bother walking into the sprint store and asking for a replacement.

So in the meantime I activated my curve 8530 and planned on using it until my upgrade was due.

Today I went to the sprint store to pay my bill and a rep started talking me into buying a new phone since he saw my blackberry, I told him I had an evo but it was damaged and I would wait until september to buy a new phone.

The rep asked me if I had it and luckily I had it in the car, he took it for a tech to look at it at no charge and asked me to return in an hour.

When I came back in hopeless since I knew the water sensors had leaked and everything, the rep that I talked to had left for lunch, a nice lady greeted me, I told her I came to pick up my phone from service, she walked out with a brand new evo(activated and everything, I still cant believe it).
She didn't say much just told me if I had any questions to give her a call

so at the end of the day....:D
IMG00198-20110604-2202.jpg

Gingerbread + Dish remote access = happy camper

That’s pretty cool, congrats on the new phone! Just goes to show why Sprint is the best. And I’m sure they were appreciative of you being honest and not making up a story on how it ‘just stopped working’. You got a second chance so now keep the Evo away from the pool :D

Kinda,embarrassing :p, but I fell into the pool with the phone.

the thing is, the old man was cleaning out all the crap in the yard and it was all over the place, there wasn't barely room to walk around that day. So I had to step on the edge of the pool in order to get around the grill and a bunch of other stuff.

since I had my old worn crocs on, I slipped and fell inside :(

Hey Steve, if there isn't any other flagship phone out by september I also may get an evo 3D :), first dual core phone on sprint.
The Evo is kinda getting old(spec wise) but going strong with updates!(just got gingerbread)
The epic,shift, and nexus s are kinda behind spec wise.

I hope sprint gets the galaxy S II, that phone is badass.

A couple months ago I was playing with my EVO (probably the 3rd of 4th time) while my wife was driving and expressing an important emotional issue to her. She grabbed my EVO and tossed it out the window at 40 mph right into a puddle in the medium. Upon hearing my complaint, she swung back around, retrieved the phone, placed it under the front wheel of her car, and then ran over it, back-and-forth, a half-dozen times for good measure. Much to my surprise, the phone was still powered-on and worked perfectly...and not a single scratch anywhere on the phone thanks to my Seidio case - well worth the $35. Lessons Learned: don't continue to play with phone when wife wants to talk, and always spend the money on a Seidio cover. :D

Thats interesting.
I have an Epic and it dropped in a puddle during the winter months ....
I HAVE the INSURANCE for it.
Sprint store looked at it (techs), said it had water in it and that water was NOT covered with the insurance.
If I wanted it replaced, it would cost me a $ 100 (insurance price, without it would have been $600).
They said I would have it in 3 days or so, I questioned that, seeing there are other stores.... they said it HAD to come from the insurance company, but if I needed it sooner it could be sent the next day for $ 20 more.

So I had it the next day, which was great, but now your telling me it should have been FREE ?

It shouldn't be free, I didn't walk into the store planning on getting a new phone, I just started a conversation with a rep and he tried to help me, and either they were too nice with me or there was some mistake.

I even popped onto my account on their website just to make sure they didn't bill me a new phone or anything.

That’s pretty cool, congrats on the new phone! Just goes to show why Sprint is the best. And I’m sure they were appreciative of you being honest and not making up a story on how it ‘just stopped working’. You got a second chance so now keep the Evo away from the pool :D

My son-in-law worked at the Apple Store for several years while in college. He told me that they had a lot of latitude on warranty replacement on iphones. No question about replacement unless both water sensors were tripped. If both were tripped, it was pretty much a matter of the attitude of the customer. If you went in humble and owning up, you generally got one. If you tried to BS or showed arrogance, you were given the opportunity to buy one.

My evo fell into the pool around a week ago, since I didn't have insurance I didn't bother walking into the sprint store and asking for a replacement.

So in the meantime I activated my curve 8530 and planned on using it until my upgrade was due.

Today I went to the sprint store to pay my bill and a rep started talking me into buying a new phone since he saw my blackberry, I told him I had an evo but it was damaged and I would wait until september to buy a new phone.

The rep asked me if I had it and luckily I had it in the car, he took it for a tech to look at it at no charge and asked me to return in an hour.

When I came back in hopeless since I knew the water sensors had leaked and everything, the rep that I talked to had left for lunch, a nice lady greeted me, I told her I came to pick up my phone from service, she walked out with a brand new evo(activated and everything, I still cant believe it).
She didn't say much just told me if I had any questions to give her a call

so at the end of the day....:D
IMG00198-20110604-2202.jpg

Gingerbread + Dish remote access = happy camper
this is why i love sprint. you can't imagine how many favors they've done for me. best thing i ever did was leaving verizon.

Never ever buy the insurance. When I got my daughter her first cell phone, she broke the screen within a month. I called Sprint and they said a new phone was $400. I said cancel her phone and they threaten me with the $200 termination fee. I said ok send me the bill and instead they send me a new phone. They rather have the extra phone on your account because it generates more money.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts