riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
But Democratic and Republican lawmakers alike put blame on Brown

Source

WASHINGTON - Former FEMA director Michael Brown aggressively defended his role in responding to Hurricane Katrina on Tuesday and blamed most coordination failures on Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco and New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin.

He also said that in the days before the storm, he expressed his concerns that “this is going to be a bad one” in phone conversations and e-mails with President Bush, White House chief of staff Andy Card and deputy chief of staff Joe Hagin.

And he blamed the Department of Homeland Security, the parent agency for the Federal Emergency Management Agency, for not acquiring better equipment ahead of the storm.

His efforts to shift blame drew sharp criticism from Democratic and Republican lawmakers alike.

Harsh criticism
“I’m happy you left,” said Rep. Christopher Shays, R-Conn. “That kind of look in the lights like a deer tells me you weren’t capable of doing that job.”

Rep. Gene Taylor, D-Miss., told Brown: “The disconnect was, people thought there was some federal expertise out there. There wasn’t. Not from you.”

Brown appeared before a special congressional panel set up by House Republican leaders to investigate the catastrophe.

“My biggest mistake was not recognizing by Saturday that Louisiana was dysfunctional,” two days before the storm hit, Brown told the panel.

Brown, who for many became a symbol of government failures in the natural disaster that claimed the lives of more than 1,000 people, rejected accusations that he was too inexperienced for the job.

“I’ve overseen over 150 presidentially declared disasters. I know what I’m doing, and I think I do a pretty darn good job of it,” he said.

Brown resigned as the head of FEMA earlier this month after being removed by Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff from responsibility in the stricken areas. Brown will remain on the FEMA payroll for two more weeks, advising the agency, said Russ Knocke, spokesman for the Department of Homeland Security.

Unfavorable comparison with Giuliani
Brown, who joined FEMA in 2001 and ran it for more than two years, was previously an attorney who held several local government and private posts, including leading the International Arabian Horse Association.

Brown’s testimony drew a scathing response from Rep. William Jefferson, D-La.

“I find it absolutely stunning that this hearing would start out with you, Mr. Brown, laying the blame for FEMA’s failings at the feet of the governor of Louisiana and the mayor of New Orleans.”

And in a testy exchange, Shays compared Brown’s performance unfavorably with that of former New York Mayor Rudolph Giuliani after the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks.

“So I guess you want me to be the superhero, to step in there and take everyone out of New Orleans,” Brown said.

“What I wanted you to do is do your job and coordinate,” Shays retorted.

“I’m happy to be called not a Rudy Giuliani ... a scapegoat ... if it means that FEMA that I knew when I came here is going to be able to be reborn,” Brown said.

Admission of 'specific mistakes'
Criticized by Shays for not acquiring better equipment in advance that would have let different emergency agencies communicate with each other, Brown blamed the Department of Homeland Security.

“We put that money in our budget request and it was removed by the Department of Homeland Security” before the budget was finalized, he said.

Brown also said he was “just tired and misspoke” when a television interviewer appeared to be the first to tell him that there were desperate residents at the New Orleans Convention Center.

Brown testified that he had already learned, one day before the interview, that people were flocking to the center.

Brown blamed “a hysteric media” for compounding the crisis with what he said were unfounded reports of rapes and murders. He characterized blunt-spoken Army Lt. Gen. Russel Honore, the military coordinator for the disaster, as “a bull in the China closet, God love him.”

And he said Americans themselves must play a more active role in preparing for natural disasters and not expect more from the government than it can deliver.

But Republican Rep. Kay Granger of Texas told Brown: “I don’t know how you can sleep at night. You lost the battle.”

Brown in his opening statement said he had made several “specific mistakes” in dealing with the storm, and listed two.

One, he said, was not having more media briefings.

As to the other, he said: “I very strongly personally regret that I was unable to persuade Gov. Blanco and Mayor Nagin to sit down, get over their differences, and work together. I just couldn’t pull that off.”

Both Blanco and Nagin are Democrats.

Louisiana official fires back
In Baton Rouge, La., Blanco’s press secretary, Denise Bottcher, ridiculed Brown’s line of attack. “Mike Brown wasn’t engaged then, and he surely isn’t now. He should have been watching CNN instead of the Disney Channel,” Bottcher said.

“The people of FEMA are being tired of being beat up, and they don’t deserve it,” Brown said.

The hearing was largely boycotted by Democrats, who want an independent investigation conducted into government failures, not one run by congressional Republicans.

But several Democrats from the stricken region, including Jefferson and Taylor, attended.

Committee Chairman Tom Davis, R-Va., cautioned against too narrowly assigning blame.

“At the end of the day, I suspect that we’ll find that government at all levels failed the people of Louisiana and Mississippi and Alabama and the Gulf Coast,” said Davis.

Brown says federal role limited
He pushed Brown on what he and the agency he led should have done to evacuate New Orleans, restore order in the city and improve communication among law enforcement agencies.

Brown said: “Those are not FEMA roles. FEMA doesn’t evacuate communities. FEMA does not do law enforcement. FEMA does not do communications.”

In part of his testimony, Brown pumped his hand up and down for emphasis.

Brown said the lack of a mandatory evacuation of New Orleans before the storm was “the tipping point for all the other things that went wrong.” Brown said he had personally pushed Louisiana Gov. Blanco to order such an evacuation.

He did not have the authority to order the city evacuated on his own, Brown said.

When asked by Rep. Harold Rogers, R-Ky, whether the lack of an ordered evacuation was “the proximate cause of most people’s misery,” Brown said, “Yes.”

And so once again a sacrificial lamb is led to the slaughter.

Interesting that last year there was no trouble, it was the same FEMA, but Louisiana was not one of the affected states.

I think Brown is dead right. The federal governments mistake was that they were not "all knowing" and didnt know ahead of time that Blanco and Nagin were incompetent. Surely he never expected them not to cooperate. That thought never crossed his mind. That type of thing resulting in deaths would certainly be criminal or at least end their careers. But what happens instead? The Black mayor (Dem) and the Woman Governor (Dem) join the rest of the liberals on a witch hunt for the FEMA director?????????? WTF has this world come too? When the FEMA director gets fired and these two nitwits who should be swinging by their necks from a tree somewhere are still in office:rolleyes:

vurbano said:
I think Brown is dead right. The federal governments mistake was that they were not "all knowing" and didnt know ahead of time that Blanco and Nagin were incompetent. Surely he never expected them not to cooperate. That thought never crossed his mind. That type of thing resulting in deaths would certainly be criminal or at least end their careers. But what happens instead? The Black mayor (Dem) and the Woman Governor (Dem) join the rest of the liberals on a witch hunt for the FEMA director?????????? WTF has this world come too? When the FEMA director gets fired and these two nitwits who should be swinging by their necks from a tree somewhere are still in office:rolleyes:

I couldn't agree with you more. I thought Brown made perfect sense during the parts of the hearings I saw. Nagin and Blanco combined with the sheer scope of the disaster was what caused the situation. Brown had overseen 150 disasters before this with no problem.

While I agree that both Blanco and Nagin were incompetent ( if they could be fired, they should ), Brown needs to share the blame with what happened after the storm passed, this is from the Reuters story today on the same subject:

For two days after the water defenses failed around New Orleans Americans were stunned by reports of thousands of people waited desperately for food and water at a few gathering places that remained above the water.

I remember watching the news and it was not until the Thursday after the storm that FEMA showed up with help, that is FEMA's fault, remember the rule is when there is a disaster, FEMA is in charge.

Now this from the same story-
"It's my belief that FEMA did a good job in the Gulf states," Brown said. He said most of the problems were due to a failure of state and local officials to order a mandatory evacuation of New Orleans earlier than Sunday, the day before the storm hit land.

Nagin issued a voluntary evacuation order on Saturday before the storm and made it mandatory the next day.

This means nothing, the people that were able to get away did so, the problem was with the people who could not ( or would not ), even if the order to get out was a day before or a week before, they still would be there.

This is the worst part-
'Brown also said he was “just tired and misspoke” when a television interviewer appeared to be the first to tell him that there were desperate residents at the New Orleans Convention Center.

I knew about it watching Foxnews, two days before he said that on TV, please.

Brown, who joined FEMA in 2001 and ran it for more than two years, was previously an attorney who held several local government and private posts, including leading the International Arabian Horse Association.

I think that quote says it all. Specially the one about the Arabian Horse Association.

vurbano said:
When the FEMA director gets fired and these two nitwits who should be swinging by their necks from a tree somewhere are still in office:rolleyes:

It seems you stilll have huge problems with the facts vurbano - The FEMA director did not get fired - he resigned - just to be taken back on the payroll shortly afterwards.
By the way - lynching as you suggested - is fortunately outlawed in this country !

W_Tracy_Parnell said:
Brown had overseen 150 disasters before this with no problem.

I am sure you have he list of the 150 desasters he has overseen?
Thanks in advance :)

bruce said:
I remember watching the news and it was not until the Thursday after the storm that FEMA showed up with help, that is FEMA's fault, remember the rule is when there is a disaster, FEMA is in charge.

How does FEMA go in when the area is full of people shooting at helicopters and looting? Evacuation was Nagins responsibility. Stability of the area by the police and National guard was Blanco and Nagins responsibility. They are responsible for people being there in the first place and for the delay in those people recieving aid due to the conditions they allowed to take place on the ground. There was no stability until General Honaree hit the ground on Thursday. Only then could FEMA safely go in. Before that food and water was there from the red cross but the governor wouldnt let it in as I recall. Tell me what rule says FEMA is in CHARGE??? WHEN??? I want to go look that up in my manual in the EOC center I help man here in times of emergencies:rolleyes:

Matt said:
It seems you stilll have huge problems with the facts vurbano - The FEMA director did not get fired - he resigned - just to be taken back on the payroll shortly afterwards.

Bush told him to quit. You still have huge problems with the obvious.

bruce said:
This means nothing, the people that were able to get away did so, the problem was with the people who could not ( or would not ), even if the order to get out was a day before or a week before, they still would be there.

And Nagins emergency evacuation plan was formulated knowing this. I believe the estimate was 100,000 would not be able to leave. His plan as you know called for HIM to evacuate them. And he is responsible for having the resources in place to carry out his own plan. He did neither.

vurbano said:
So is murder. Nagin murdered hundreds. When is his trial?
You posted the Attorney's General Office (of Louisiana) phone # some days ago - you should have it handy :D
Don't tell me - you didn't call him already - or better - he called you, asking for your legal opinion .

Matt said:
You posted the Attorney's General Office (of Louisiana) phone # some days ago - you should have it handy :D
Don't tell me - you didn't call him already - or better - he called you, asking for your legal opinion .

I dont think I posted it unless it was in a news article. Please point me to the post.

vurbano said:
I dont think I posted it unless it was in a news article. Please point me to the post.
It was in the other thread "President Bush takes the blame....and it was posted by "cablewithaview" :
The AG office number is : 225-326-6705

Murder is kind of a strong word. It is generally used in reference to an act arsising from premeditation and malice.

vurbano said:
Tell me what rule says FEMA is in CHARGE??? WHEN??? I want to go look that up in my manual in the EOC center I help man here in times of emergencies:rolleyes:

Federal Register Notice
Billing Code 9110-10-P
DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY
Federal Emergency Management Agency
[FEMA-1603-DR]
Louisiana; Major Disaster and Related Determinations
AGENCY: Federal Emergency Management Agency, Emergency Preparedness and Response Directorate, Department of Homeland Security.
ACTION: Notice.
SUMMARY: This is a notice of the Presidential declaration of a major disaster for the State of Louisiana (FEMA-1603-DR), dated August 29, 2005, and related determinations.

EFFECTIVE DATE: August 29, 2005.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: Magda Ruiz, Recovery Division, Federal Emergency Management Agency, Washington, DC 20472, (202) 646-2705.

SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION: Notice is hereby given that, in a letter dated August 29, 2005, the President declared a major disaster under the authority of the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act, 42 U.S.C. §§ 5121-5206 (the Stafford Act), as follows:

I have determined that the damage in certain areas of the State of Louisiana, resulting from Hurricane Katrina beginning on August 29, 2005, and continuing, is of sufficient severity and magnitude to warrant a major disaster declaration under the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act, 42 U.S.C. §§ 5121-5206 (the Stafford Act). Therefore, I declare that such a major disaster exists in the State of Louisiana.

In order to provide Federal assistance, you are hereby authorized to allocate from funds available for these purposes such amounts as you find necessary for Federal disaster assistance and administrative expenses.

You are authorized to provide Individual Assistance and assistance for debris removal and emergency protective measures (Categories A and B) under the Public Assistance program, and Hazard Mitigation in the designated areas; and any other forms of assistance under the Stafford Act you may deem appropriate subject to completion of Preliminary Damage Assessments (PDAs), unless you determine the incident is of such unusual severity and magnitude that PDAs are not required to determine the need for supplemental Federal assistance pursuant to 44 C.F.R. 206.33(d). Direct Federal assistance is authorized.

Consistent with the requirement that Federal assistance be supplemental, any Federal funds provided under the Stafford Act for Public Assistance, Hazard Mitigation and the Other Needs Assistance under Section 408 of the Stafford Act will be limited to 75 percent of the total eligible costs. For a period of up to 72 hours, you are authorized to fund assistance for debris removal and emergency protective measures, including direct Federal assistance, at 100 percent of the total eligible costs. Federal funding for debris removal will remain at 75 percent.

Further, you are authorized to make changes to this declaration to the extent allowable under the Stafford Act.

The time period prescribed for the implementation of section 310(a), Priority to Certain Applications for Public Facility and Public Housing Assistance, 42 U.S.C. 5153, shall be for a period not to exceed six months after the date of this declaration.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) hereby gives notice that pursuant to the authority vested in the Under Secretary for Emergency Preparedness and Response, Department of Homeland Security, under Executive Order 12148, as amended, William Lokey, of FEMA is appointed to act as the Federal Coordinating Officer for this declared disaster.

I do hereby determine the following areas of the State of Louisiana to have been affected adversely by this declared major disaster:

The parishes of Acadia, Ascension, Assumption, Calcasieu, Cameron, East Baton Rouge, East Feliciana, Iberia, Iberville, Jefferson, Jefferson Davis, Lafayette, Lafourche, Livingston, Orleans, Pointe Coupee, Plaquemines, St. Barnard, St. Charles, St. Helena, St. James, St. John, St. Mary, St. Martin, St. Tammany, Tangipahoa, Terrebonne, Vermilion, Washington, West Baton Rouge, and West Feliciana for Individual Assistance.

The parishes of Acadia, Ascension, Assumption, Calcasieu, Cameron, East Baton Rouge, East Feliciana, Iberia, Iberville, Jefferson, Jefferson Davis, Lafayette, Lafourche, Livingston, Orleans, Pointe Coupee, Plaquemines, St. Barnard, St. Charles, St. Helena, St. James, St. John, St. Mary, St. Martin, St. Tammany, Tangipahoa, Terrebonne, Vermilion, Washington, West Baton Rouge, and West Feliciana for Public Assistance Categories A and B (debris removal and emergency protective measures), including direct Federal assistance. For a period of up to 72 hours, assistance for emergency protective measures, including direct Federal assistance, will be provided at 100 percent of the total eligible costs. The period of up to 72 hours at 100 percent excludes debris removal.

The parishes of Allen, Avoyelles, Beauregard, Bienville, Bossier, Caddo, Caldwell, Catahoula, Claiborne, Concordia, Desoto, East Carroll, Evangeline, Franklin, Grant, Jackson, LaSalle, Lincoln, Madison, Morehouse, Natchitoches, Ouachita, Rapides, Red River, Richland, Sabine, St. Landry, Tensas, Union, Vernon, Webster, West Carroll, and Winn for Public Assistance Category B (emergency protective measures), including direct Federal assistance, will be provided at 100 percent of the total eligible costs.

The parishes of St. Mary, St. Tammany, and Ouachita in the State of Louisiana are eligible to apply for assistance under the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program.

(The following Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance Numbers (CFDA) are to be used for reporting and drawing funds: 97.030, Community Disaster Loans; 97.031, Cora Brown Fund Program; 97.032, Crisis Counseling; 97.033, Disaster Legal Services Program; 97.034, Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA); 97.046, Fire Management Assistance; 97.048, Individual and Household Housing; 97.049, Individual and Household Disaster Housing Operations; 97.050 Individual and Household Program-Other Needs, 97.036, Public Assistance Grants; 97.039, Hazard Mitigation Grant Program.)

/s/
Department of Homeland Security

http://www.fema.gov/news/dfrn.fema?id=4506

Slamminc11 said:
I can't believe we are still paying that guys salary.

I am afraid he is not the only one.
After "Rita" has passed and just reading and watching the different asessments by the involved agencies reveals way worse.
We all have been told, that there are all possible disaster plans in place - coming to find out - each agency was hoping, that the other one would be in charge and billions of Dollars have been spent for it - guess whose money ?
Whoever is resonsible at the end - these people come and go - but the citizens have to depend on it - and that is the scary part!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts