Ex-wife will not return receivers

czmlgella

Original poster
Dec 2, 2009
Texas
Hello! My new husband is wanting to transfer Dish services from his old home (which is 2 hours away from his current location). His ex-wife is still using Dish and the account is in his name only. Also, she will not return the equipment:mad:. Does he have any recourse (besides obtaining a lawyer)? Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Small claims court would work fine, but probably not until he cancels the account and Dish comes after him for the value of the receivers.

Well...if it were me, with the account in my name, I'd:
- immediately close the account & have them turn off all TV to my ex's house.
- get new service at my new house with new recievers.

But, I'm a stubborn hard-head (ask MY wife). :D

If need be, I'd eat the costs associated with the ex not returning the recievers, but they would be of no use to her at that point.

Cancel the service ASAP!!!! Then take her to court if she does not return the boxes. It is theft if she does not return em and they were in his NAME.

Definitely cancel the service. You can call dish and explain the situation. The receivers will be listed as stolen. You may need to submit a police report. I've never had a call like that, so I'm not sure what the procedure is, or the possible outcomes. You could ask when you cancel. You will get a loyalty agent, and they should know the answers.

If it's in his name only, have him switch his programming to only Chinese or Indian channels. You may not get the boxes back but she won't be watching TV either. Plus this is more fun than just turning them off.

A New York cable company, instead of turning off people who didn't pay, gave them one channel. CSPAN. It increased their on time payment 60 %.

While all the revenge ideas are novel, the truthful answer is that while he can cancel the account, the receivers if leased would have to be returned to Dish Network in all cases. If not returned he is going to be responsible for the cost of the non return. He can take her to court to try to recoup the loss, or get the receivers out of her, but in the long run it's probably cheaper to pay the no return than the court cost.. Best option here would be if he cancels the account and the ex gives him the receivers back.. But since I suspect there is a deep chasm here between the two of them for some reason, this is not going to be pretty.

Who is paying the bill each month?

If she is paying the bill would she care if the account is switched into her name if that is even poisslbe?

I am sure DISH has dealt with divorced people and receiver custody disputes in the past.

If it's in his name only, have him switch his programming to only Chinese or Indian channels. You may not get the boxes back but she won't be watching TV either. Plus this is more fun than just turning them off.

A New York cable company, instead of turning off people who didn't pay, gave them one channel. CSPAN. It increased their on time payment 60 %.

Ahh New Yorkers always doin something to screw with people. Thats why I love NY and hate the south. If you do not pay why not change things around to make someone pay to keep costs down for the rest of us.

DISH receivers

Chinese or Indian channels !!!!! Now, THAT'S funny !! I can see her now, sitting down to watch LIFETIME, and instead getting BOLLYWOOD !!! .:haha * :haha * :haha

You can't change the name on the account. Accounts are linked to the social security number of the person who opened it. So even if you did get a green CSR who did it, the account would still be the responsibility of the person who opened it.

If you're out of your contract you might be able to snowbird your account. IIRC it's $5 to snowbird, and $5 bucks to restore. Also I believe you can snowbird for two years at a stretch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)