Exclusive: Dish / Sirius News

So basically its around 8 audio channels to equal one audio/video channel so that would be around 96 channels to equal a full transponder.

Maybe the reason why they spread the audio channels out across many transponders so that they can compress the content on each transponder a small amount to where they can add one or two audio stations where it is not that noticable compared to putting them all on one transponder.

Stargazer said:
So basically its around 8 audio channels to equal one audio/video channel so that would be around 96 channels to equal a full transponder.

Maybe the reason why they spread the audio channels out across many transponders so that they can compress the content on each transponder a small amount to where they can add one or two audio stations where it is not that noticable compared to putting them all on one transponder.
I believe part of the reason for the spread is that audio channels don't compress in the same way as video. An audio stream is going to consume the same amount of transponder 24/7/365. Video streams vary in size.

Think of video streams as soft sponges and audio streams as marbles. Your jar may be able to fit 10 video stream sponges and 26 audio stream marbles (including the audio that matches the video - add more marbles if your video has SAP). That would be considered a full transponder. But can you stick 96 marbles in that jar? The marbles don't give up space like the sponges.

(Then again, if the 10 SD plus 16 Audio plan leaves overhead for when all 10 SDs need to expand to show more action you may be able to do more than 96 audios on a transponder.)

Here's a cool MPEG2 trick: The streams that make up one channel don't have to be unique to that channel. Technically speaking, they could uplink a video stream (Dancing Dish, Sirius logo) and multiple audio streams.
Create a "channel" that uses the Dancing Dish with Aud01.
Create a "channel" that uses the Dancing Dish with Aud02.
Create a "channel" that uses the Sirus logo with Aud01.
Create a "channel" that uses the Sirus logo with Aud02.
Four descrete channels that appear to be video channels but they are using two video feeds and two audio feeds.

BTW: This trick is done often with PPV Sports (including the off-air screens) sharing the same PIDs as static channels and with GOL TV offering different audio selections depending on which channel you are watching.

If they have room for one video feed on a transponder with audio streams they could put up a "virtual radio" that would blow the screen saver of DishCD off of the screen.

JL

For those of us who refuse to pay for the awful SD channels that Dish provides, it sure would be nice to have the music A La Carte. OTOH, they would probably charge more than a Sirius account, so I guess a Sirius sub would probably be better anyway.

DarrellP said:
For those of us who refuse to pay for the awful SD channels that Dish provides, it sure would be nice to have the music A La Carte. OTOH, they would probably charge more than a Sirius account, so I guess a Sirius sub would probably be better anyway.

Don't forget that another real value of a separate subscription to Sirius (in my case, XM) is the ability to use the service in my truck or in my XM boombox for out of the house use. Well worth the cost.

Shelly

Possibly a couple of stupid questions...

1. Do I need new equipment to listen to it at home? (wouldn't make much sense, and it doesn't sound like it, but someone verify please)

2. Could I buy equipment for the car, and it would be no extra monthly fee to listen to it that way?

1. I would assume no.

2. I would guess that if you wanted a car unit, you would still have to pay the fees for that...

Not sure on either of those, just offering my humble opinion.

tomes said:
Possibly a couple of stupid questions...

1. Do I need new equipment to listen to it at home? (wouldn't make much sense, and it doesn't sound like it, but someone verify please)

2. Could I buy equipment for the car, and it would be no extra monthly fee to listen to it that way?
1) You will need a DishNetwork receiver - the same one that you watch TV on will do fine.
2) You will need a separate subscription to listen to Sirius directly on a portable/car radio

It will be interesting to see how they get this on the system. 60 more music channels will take up a lot of space on a transponder.

JL

Muzak Postings

I landed on this thread and found it quite amusing when I read all of the posts claiming to know the technical parameters of the Muzak programs and specific knowledge of Muzak satellite networks and distribution systems.

I will not return to this forum, but wanted to mention that you are all way off. The delivery systems are state of the art and the bit rates are significantly faster that 16K...and no, Muzak did not relocate Dish Network subscribers to other networks. Oh, one more thing, Muzak has many more programs than the 21 listed in one of the posts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)