Executive Shake Up at DISH Network

Here is a Scott Editorial...

Another thing DISH needs to understand to keep customers is to give their customers what they want... Gpollock wants Fearnet, make it part of AT250 or ala cart at $2.99 a month. People want sports, again if they want it charge them for it. People will pay if they can get what they want. DISH needs to give people a reason for a customer to remain loyal to the company but over the past few years it seems as though DISH has given people reasons why they should cancel their service. DISH keeps saying that they keep doing all these fights to keep my bill down.... where I am at I lost a few sports channels and its funny I get less service now but my bill is still the same.
thanks scott ;)

One of the big problems with the company is that different departments in the company don't work with each other for a common goal. Case in point I was asked by Ira Bahr to start DISHsupport.COM which was a tech support website... Going in I couldn't figure out why the marketing department was running a tech support website. Once I got the site up and running I was expected to answer technical questions that users had. On a few I couldn't answer them so went to the proper department which would handle that issue and was basically told they they didn't want to help me because DISHsupport was a marketing project and they wanted nothing to do with it! They then told me to contact the marketing department and have them find the answers instead.

I actually talked to Charlie Ergen about this and he acted like it was nothing and basically said this in fighting between departments is always going on. WHAT?! All departments should be on the same page working together!

If I was in control that crap would be knocked off immediately. Those guys need to understand that they are all playing for the same team with the same goal.
That isn't unique to Dish. It's pretty common in the Corporate environment, in general. People who choose corporate management as a lifelong career goal do not think with normal logic and deductive reasoning. Their reasoning and motivation is not based on logic, common sense, or a desire to achieve success for the company as a whole. They are only concerned with personal recognition, career advancement, and, nowadays, job retention. As such, all decisions are based on how it will affect their personal careers. (Not all that different from Executive level decisions mostly based on how it affects stock price, which is the bulk of their compensation, as opposed to long-term success of the company. which is often diametrically opposed. But, that's a whole other issue.)

To compound the problem, this separatist environment of silos and competition between teams, business units, divisions, etc is actually encouraged by upper management! They mistakenly feel that the competition somehow pushes people to work harder and inspires innovation, when, in fact, it causes stress, poor performance, low moral, and employee churn.

That is why I'm always amazed when people think that business people would somehow make better government leaders than politicians. They are no different, in most cases.

Thanks for that insightful editorial, Scott.

You should copy/paste that into a standalone post that is easier to find (not buried in the middle of a thread), and link it from the home page, and forward a copy to Charlie Ergen.

Thanks for that insightful editorial, Scott.

You should copy/paste that into a standalone post that is easier to find (not buried in the middle of a thread), and link it from the home page, and forward a copy to Charlie Ergen.

After he has his elves look it over, of course ;)

I second sending a copy of that post to Charlie, and if possible the board of executives at DISH too.

Oh believe me they saw it already.

I hear the printers in HQ were busy today.

I hope I didn't make anyone made I am just giving a one mans view from the outside. :)

You shouldn't even think that Scott. You're speaking up for all of the paying customers of DISH. We all have a vested stake in the future of DISH. Thank you Scott.

There needs to be a vibe like when local channels were initially launched. Couldn't get people installed quick enough.

Great editorial Scott. This reminded me of a comment I posted about a week ago. It seems that since Dish bought sling and they split off from Echostar back around 2008, they've lost their technical edge. They used to be the first in coming out with new technology when it came to their receivers and their dish antennas. Now it seems they can't get any product on the market without being delayed inevitably (ex: sling extender) or having a bunch of problems (ex: BBMP) I'm really looking forward to the XIPs that coming out, but I also hope that they actually do come out. Also, their marketing has gone pretty downhill. When I upgraded to HD in '08, they had comedian Frank Caliendo as their Spokesman, doing some funny impressions and sketches (and they were actually funny too) and the commercials were also pretty useful. Now they're running commercials with cowboys having big mustaches. What the heck does that have to do with BB or Dish's service? I also agree that there's either lots of miscommunication or no communication at all in between their departments. If each department communicated with each other, the whole company would definitely be on the same page. But it seems since Joe Clayton took over as CEO, things have gotten a bit better on the programming front. I mean can you imagine if we got MLB network if Charlie was still CEO? I highly doubt it. I'm really looking forward to they have coming at CES in January. Hopefully they'll actually release the stuff they actually show there, but only time will tell if Dish's reputation will change.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)