Existing customer HD upgrades?

Andrewwski

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
Hi -

I've searched around quite a bit and can't come up with a defintie answer.

I have a family member who has been a Dish customer for over 2 years now. They aren't under contract.

They lease two 322's. They recently bought two HDTV's and would like to upgrade to one 622/722 and one 222.

What are Dish's promotions and upgrade policies? What are the upfront fees? I don't need them to come out and install it...mailing it would be fine. There's already a dish for 61.5 as well as 110/119.

I'm trying to figure out how much an upgrade will cost and what time frame they usually can do it (would like it by Christmas).

From the Dish site

Here's a link to existing customers upgrade.
You will need to have them install it that's free. The reason it will need to be installed is so they can put in the power inserter with DPP-44 switch and make sure that the LNB's are Dish Pro Plus type not legacy.

Here's a link to existing customers upgrade.
You will need to have them install it that's free. The reason it will need to be installed is so they can put in the power inserter with DPP-44 switch and make sure that the LNB's are Dish Pro Plus type not legacy.

No DPP44 is required. The LNB's are DPP.

Anyway, where's the link?

Free upgrade to 722, great! How about a 222? What will that cost.

I'd like for them to ship it...I'll try to talk them into it, if not, whatever.

Dish sent me my 722 and 2 211s without an install, I told them flat out that I'd switch to cable and their installers aren't certified to climb a telecom tower.

That ended the discussion quick with CEO's office.. :)

When in doubt you can always try to call a local Dish Network installer and see if they'll let you just come pick up the receivers too. Less work for them.

If you are upgrading to HD, Dish will not let you do it yourself. Since the dish itself may need to be upgraded as well, tech will be sent out to make sure everything is ok.

No it doesn't. There's a Dish 500 for 110/119 and a Dish 300 for 61.5.

Trust me. I know this stuff.

Anyway...the last post just reminded me...a local retailer did the initial install. Should I call them and see if I can pick them up instead of calling Dish?

I don't mind them coming out but it needs to be next weekend.

Still would like to know what it's going to cost.

I don't see where it'd hurt to call the local retailer first since they're likely to be the ones to do the install anyway.

Your dishes will all have to be Dishpro or DishProPlus (no legacy stuff), I assume they already are though.

EDIT:
As for upgrade costs, it's currently 149 up front for a HD-DVR (I think it's 199 for the 722, but 149 for 622) and you get 100$ back in rebate, so it'd be 49$ or 99$ AR (622 or 722). the 222 would be 119$ up front, 100$ rebate brings it down to 19$. You can see this info by going to DISH Network -- Home, logging in, and going to My Equipment, then Equipment Upgrades. These are MAIL-IN REBATES, but relatively simple to do.

However, there is a max of 3 tuners per transaction, you would probably have to e-mail ceo@echostar.com to request what you want to do. I had to do the same for 2x211 and 1x722.

Yes they are. DPP twin LNB for 110/119 and a DP Dual running into it for 61.5.

Just wondering what it will cost...I'd rather not spend $500 for the HD upgrade or anything.

I edited my post to provide you with the pricing information above your post. After 2 100$ rebates, it would cost you 60 bucks for 622+222, or 120 bucks for 722+222.

Should get a DPP-44 switch

No DPP44 is required. The LNB's are DPP.

Anyway, where's the link?

Free upgrade to 722, great! How about a 222? What will that cost.

I'd like for them to ship it...I'll try to talk them into it, if not, whatever.

What you are missing is that you should get a DPP-44 switch w/the power inserter. If you run the system without it the power supply of the 622/722 will run very hot and shorten the life of the unit. Also the DPP-44 eliminates the need to run 2 lines into the 622 or 722 for the dual tuners. Call the installer that did the job 1st time and see what he comes up with for you. Now you said the 61.5 dish has a DP LNB my understanding is that is not the same as a Dish Pro Plus.

You don't understand this at all.

I already can run the dual tuner's with one cable because IT'S a DISH PRO PLUS LNB.

NO DPP44 IS REQUIRED AT ALL.

61.5 is off a DP LNB because there ARE NO SINGLE DPP LNB's.

In order to run two dual tuner's with one cable each and three satellites, you run the DP LNB into the input on the DPP LNB, then run a cable from the LNB to the receivers, run it through a DPP Separator, and into the inputs.

There is absolutely no need for a DPP 44 at all. It's completely 100% useless.

I have no clue what you're thinking because it makes no sense at all.

Anyway, $60 sounds GREAT for the 622 and 222. I'm pretty happy about that. I thought it'd be more. :)

Anyway, $60 sounds GREAT for the 622 and 222. I'm pretty happy about that. I thought it'd be more. :)

By the way, you would need to commit to 18 months to get Dishin-It-Up, you may want to switch to DVR Advantage too, you'd save a few bucks a month roughly and it would make the DVR free of any fees provided it's attached to a phone line or an Internet (ethernet) connection. Also, you won't need Dish Protection for the first 12 months, should you already have it you can remove it.

The rebate takes forever to show up, mine says it was sent out but I haven't seen a credit on my bill or checks in the mail. I upgraded in August. People here have said it will show up as a credit on my bill, so I check here and there.

I use 2 DP34s, 2 DP500's (a twin for 61.5 and a quad for 110/119) and have no problems. DPP44 costs a lot more money and I've seen several installers avoid using them in favor of the DP34. It's cheaper/easier sometimes to just run another piece of coax.

Your config should work fine as far as I know.

Thanks. We don't mind having to commit.
What exactly does the DVR Advantage feature? From the looks of it it's AT200 and DVR service for $49.99 a month.

Right now they have AT200 (with locals) with HBO, Cinemax, and Showtime. They'll be cancelling Cinemax and Showtime but keeping HBO. They'll also be adding the HD service.

What's the chances that sending an email there will result in them upgrading 4 tuners? If they don't, do we just lose one of the $100 rebates?

Thanks. We don't mind having to commit.
What exactly does the DVR Advantage feature? From the looks of it it's AT200 and DVR service for $49.99 a month.

DVR Advantage is available in top100, Top200 and Top 250 I believe. It will waive the normal 6$/mo DVR fee on your first receiver (DVR receiver).

Right now they have AT200 (with locals) with HBO, Cinemax, and Showtime. They'll be cancelling Cinemax and Showtime but keeping HBO. They'll also be adding the HD service.

You could do DishHD (20$), 1 Premium (13$ I think?), 50$ for your DVR Advantage. You'd then pay 6$ for the extra 222's lease fee. I believe DVRA includes locals too. Your first 6 months of DishHD are free.

What's the chances that sending an email there will result in them upgrading 4 tuners? If they don't, do we just lose one of the $100 rebates?

If you e-mail CEO@echostar.com and plead your case (like I did, and many others here have done) someone from the Exec team will contact you and push your request through. I qualified for all my rebates (for all 3 receivers/ 4 tuners) as well.

If you do not do this, you would not be able to upgrade the way you want, because the limit is normally 2 receivers, 3 tuners max as far as I know. You would have to buy a receiver, etc. They have the power to override this.

However, what you want to do is pretty common. If you REALLY wanted to self install, you could try arguing this point with the Exec guy too, they might let you do it, especially if you are not home at all during the hours they'd do installs. As a wise man told me once, "It never hurts to ask" :)

I hope I covered your q's.

As an existing Dish customer since 1994? I got the following deal a few months ago. 622 DVR, and one 222 with installation. No commitment, no money, and $200 back in the form of a credit on my bill. I know there have been better deals and worse, but I am happy with the one I received.

As an existing Dish customer since 1994? I got the following deal a few months ago. 622 DVR, and one 222 with installation. No commitment, no money, and $200 back in the form of a credit on my bill. I know there have been better deals and worse, but I am happy with the one I received.

Did you have to go through the CEO's office to get that deal?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)