Expectations of the 811

Bulldog

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 22, 2004
This month is coming to a close and despite the assurances of a fix for the dark video output on SD and the other enhancements for channel 100 via 269; Nothing!

A while back when I called “E” about the problem and talked to a Rep. I was told that they wish the 811 never had composite outputs. In addition she could not understand why I was so upset since I have a HDTV and the 811 is for HDTV’s, why should I be so concerned about the “non” HD outputs! I explained, that I record on my old trusty VCR and quality SD composite outputs are vital. The 811’s are advertised with all these special features as we all know, and it is just ashamed that it has not lived up to the expectations.

There is nothing like throwing back to the customer that the problem is with “our expectations” of the product to perform as advertised! Rather than accepting that there is a problem and be decent and honest about its shortcomings.

I received my 811 in December and I guess eight months of waiting for the fix is too much to ask. As far as the Rep is concerned: “ it is my entire fault!”

So I am passing on the message from “E” to those with the same concerns:

-----Don’t waste our time with your expectations of a product to perform as advertised!
:(

Bulldog, sorry you've had to wait, and are still waiting, But looking at past E* hardware I wouldn't have expected a fix by now anyway. I also had an 811 back in December and put up with only one software 'fix' before dumping it. Any box that can't even get the channel recall button to work between ATSC and DBS has some major problems IMHO, besides documented features not working at all.

I've said it in may other post, asking why folks put up with the constant subpar hardware relaease of E* and get slammed for bashing E*. It's nice to see someone else wake up and say I'm mad has hell and not going to take it anymore.

I also dumped my 811 after one software fix due to problems with going back to satellite programming from being on an OTA didn't work, the darkness of the picture, 2 dead boxes, and being blamed for the problems.

I'm about to jump into the whirl of HD on Directv. I really hope I don't have a repeat of the 811. I really want my wife to like our HDTV, not think it's a waste of money.

Bulldog said:
This month is coming to a close and despite the assurances of a fix for the dark video output on SD and the other enhancements for channel 100 via 269; Nothing!

A while back when I called “E” about the problem and talked to a Rep. I was told that they wish the 811 never had composite outputs. In addition she could not understand why I was so upset since I have a HDTV and the 811 is for HDTV’s, why should I be so concerned about the “non” HD outputs! I explained, that I record on my old trusty VCR and quality SD composite outputs are vital. The 811’s are advertised with all these special features as we all know, and it is just ashamed that it has not lived up to the expectations.

There is nothing like throwing back to the customer that the problem is with “our expectations” of the product to perform as advertised! Rather than accepting that there is a problem and be decent and honest about its shortcomings.

I received my 811 in December and I guess eight months of waiting for the fix is too much to ask. As far as the Rep is concerned: “ it is my entire fault!”

So I am passing on the message from “E” to those with the same concerns:

-----Don’t waste our time with your expectations of a product to perform as advertised!
:(

I can understand your frustration, but I can understand theirs too.

One of the recent sw updates DID fix my dark video on composite. I don't know if it was a "partial" fix or what ... I do know the video got lighter. I'm sure if folks are still having the problem, then it is quite a logistical challenge for Dish to figure out who and why is having the problem, and how to fix it for them without wrecking everyone else's box ....

I called tech support today and explained my problems. Her answer was "so your 811 has problems?" I replied "don't they all?" and told her I wanted to be transferred to someone who knows something. She transferred me to a high level tech who explained that many of the 811s have no problems at all and work perfectly. I told her to send me one and she stated "we do not know which ones work and which ones do not" Anyway they are sending me a new one and we will see. I have one question. If you went to Circuit City and bought a 811 and had no contract how many people would keep it and how many would return it????????? I am quessing the return line would be out the door!!!!!

Agree completely. Circuit City doesn't carry Dish equipment - at least here in Fresno. Maybe they know something we don't! I'm surprised Sears still carries Dish. I was advised not to get their 811 (in March) as most were coming back. I got mine from CEO@echostar.com in May. So far it's ok but old 6000 seems to have better picture quality on regular satellite. Local HD stations still experimenting.

Lets just put the dark video issue to the side. 120 channels total capacity in the Favorite lists, no Dish Home, OTA problems, and etc... Though to Dish these things are simple things, I would say the 811 after eight months on the market, plus however long in R & D, is nothing more than a BETA release. There is no excuse for this, and I think it's time they start doing a better job, or get out of the buisness all together.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts