experience with that hard drive failure message

piranesi

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 25, 2009
New York
I've seen a few threads on this but they were all a little different. I came home from a few weeks away to find the "hard drive failure" message, all my recordings gone, and the HDD Xed out in read on the system screen.

Tried red button reset and that didn't work. When I finally decided to actually follow the instructions on the message and unplug for ten seconds, everything came back normal.

So, is this a software glitch I can ignore, or is it a first sign of an actual failing HDD? Anyone had experience with getting this message, unplugging, and actually having that work long term?

I'd love to be able to hold out long enough to upgrade to H3!

I've had two fail and both started the exact same way. I'd start backing up to en EHD if you have anything you don't want to lose. I will say that both times I still got programming just things like pause and skip (anything that needed the HD) didn't work.

Just happened to me and I'm backing up to an EHD or deleting.

If it fails, I'll have to consider an H3. But I'd rather have redundancy. And I'd rather others do the field debugging for me.

It seems to me that this might be a bigger problem with the new Hopper. The hard drive will be busier, I would think, keeping track of 16 tuners. I hope I'm wrong though.

It seems to me that this might be a bigger problem with the new Hopper. The hard drive will be busier, I would think, keeping track of 16 tuners. I hope I'm wrong though.

That is a valid concern. But unless you are actually recording on all 16 at the same time or have a few in use with things like the sports bar mode (if you'll be able to rewind any of the 4 tuners in view) then it shouldn't be taxing the drive any more than a standard Hopper with three tuners all going at once. I believe the DVR drives are not just the plain-Jane variety but always were the ones designed for constant data access. Finger's crossed. ;-)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)