Expiration Date and Committment of Dish 6000 Offer?

Harmon

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2003
I am not a Dish subscriber so I'm inelligible for the $149/$199 deal, but a family member is a Dish subscriber so they could order it for me, and then I could subscribe. I called a CSR and he was completely clueless. He first told me that the 6000 couldn't be ordered directly from Dish. Then he said my relative was only elligible for the $199 deal because they hadn't been customers for a full year. He said after their one year was up in late November, they could get it for $149. Here's my questions:

1. Doesn't the $149/$199 offer expire on 10/31/03? If not, when? Anyone know of any plans to open it up to new subscribers?

2. What programming committment do these offers require? I've read that there is none with the $149 deal, but if you're stuck with the $199 deal you have to agree to one year of Top 50 or higher and/or 1 year of the HD package. Is it "and" or "or"? If I have to pay $199 plus a year of the HD package for my relative, which would be of no use to them, the deal probably isn't worth it.

3. Any reason other than the possible programming committment that my relative wouldn't want to do this? They don't mind, but I don't want Dish to somehow screw up their account.

4. Anyone have inside knowledge of what the 811 deals are going to be and when they will be offered? I've heard Nov. 1 and I've also heard after the first of the year. $599 for the 811 and superdish is more than I would like to pay. Any reason I can't order a 811 with new service and then turn around and get the free superdish upgrade once I'm a customer or will you have to have activated your service before a certain date as with the 6000 offer?

I know some of these questions may not be answerable, but thanks for anyone that can shed some light.

Harmon

I'll give a shot at answering some of your questions;
1. I think I heard it ends Oct. 31, but I'm not sure of that. It might be when they run out of 6000's.
2. I don't think there is any programming commitment.
3. They will want to install it in your relative's home. If they activate it and then give it to you, it could bring up some problems. Not sure what to say about that.
4. I have no idea.

Thanks, Warren. I appreciate your response.

I will clarify some of what I "think" that I already know:

1. In the summary of the original Charlie Chat where the 6000 offer was announced it set an expiration date of 10/31/03. So I am really asking whether there has been any change to that date and what will happen after that date (i.e., is it possible the cheap 6000's would be available to new subscribers after 10/31)?

2. Several people have posted that there is a programming commitment with the $199 offer (but not the $149 offer if you're lucky enough to qualify for it). However, there has been inconsistent information regarding whether it is one year of (1) Top 50 AND the HD package or (2) Top 50 OR the HD package. The first one would be a problem for me while the second would not.

3. I am pretty sure several people have said they were given the option of having it installed or having it shipped to them. The only difference being that there was shipping charge with the latter. Am I wrong about this?

4. Since I posted my questions, I saw some information over at DBStalk that Dish was going to lease the 811's at $5/month on the DHP plan. Based on what I have learned on this forum, I am wary of getting on the DHP plan, but it looks like it might be a pretty good deal in this case. There have also been rumors that Dish will sell new customers a 811 and Superdish for $399 (or even possibly $299) with a programming commitment. Anyone have any insight, speculation, or clairvoyant predictions?

4. Since I posted my questions, I saw some information over at DBStalk that Dish was going to lease the 811's at $5/month on the DHP plan. Based on what I have learned on this forum, I am wary of getting on the DHP plan, but it looks like it might be a pretty good deal in this case. There have also been rumors that Dish will sell new customers a 811 and Superdish for $399 (or even possibly $299) with a programming commitment. Anyone have any insight, speculation, or clairvoyant predictions?

Yes the $5 a month for an 811 on DHP is true.

Technically you can get a 811 with a SuperDish for $399 just order the 811, then signup for service, then call for your free SuperDish upgrade. :D

I tried to get it shipped to me and the CSR went back and checked and came back - no, you have to have it installed.

I was a bit concerned that they would require activation as an additional receiver, but they can't make you NOT deactivate!

As it turned out, the installer showed up and he was keen on not installing it and activating it (my excuse was I wanted to wait until SuperDish before going to 3 receivers). His contact at Dish was dumb as a post and eventually agreed to just activate and deactivate immediately but there WAS some kind of requirement to activate the receiver on the account.

So I would suggest doing that, have your family members have the installer just activate/deactivate it and hand it over to you!

Lee

The $5/month lease rate on the 811 sounds like a pretty good deal. As I understand it the DHP rates are $5/month more per receiver than the regular plans. Is this the same $5 or is the lease fee additional making it a total of $10/month more for someone leasing the 811?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts