Explain this?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Diamond Jim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 18, 2004
The Boilermaker State (#19)
On Friday 1 Oct, the local news here in Sin City announced that the "local channels" would now be available on satellite for $30.00 a month. They interviewed some satellite owners who were just overjoyed with this development. Some of the interviewees stated that it would be nice to see the local news again. I have had a dish for over 20 years and I have been watching the local stations with an over the air antenna. Why are these people so over joyed when they are going to be charged $30.00 for something they get for free? Are they stupid or and I ignorant?

They are probably talking about Dish Network. I think they just turned up Terre Haute area locals. The $30 is Dish's basic price (29.99 for the Top 60 and locals)

You are right, it is crazy to pay for locals if you can get them off air, the only people that should be paying are folks who cant pick them up, what we need is a national campaign to force the all BIG networks to each have a national broadcast in FTA, thats the way it is in the UK. (Freeview)

PSB said:
You are right, it is crazy to pay for locals if you can get them off air, the only people that should be paying are folks who cant pick them up, what we need is a national campaign to force the all BIG networks to each have a national broadcast in FTA, thats the way it is in the UK. (Freeview)

Or people likeme who "moved" to get a separate set of locals on Dish and one OTA :)

Pete...the broadcaster thing will never happen, due to the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB...or as I call them...Nazi A**hole B**tards)..

They are looking out for the little guy and dont care about cable or satellite. I wish we could get one feed of ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, UPN, WB, PAX, but NAB wont allow it. Thats why on satellite you can only get one set of locals (there are people who can get distants but NAB is trying to eliminate it)

But we have ABC, PAX, WB, UPN, FOX on G10 :)
no CBS though :(

But we have ABC, PAX, WB, UPN, FOX on G10 :)
no CBS though :(

There were some locals out of Huntsville, Al, but they disappeared about a year ago. The only CBS affiliate I can get now is on C band out of Anchorage, but it's 4 hours behind us.

That doesn't sound so bad if they are getting other channels with the locals. I thought 30 big ones a month to watch 2(NBC), 10(CBS) and 38(FOX) was awful steep when it only cost me to $45.00 to put up an OTA antenna 25 years ago. I agree with Pete, should be one FTA feed for each network.

Diamond Jim said:
There were some locals out of Huntsville, Al, but they disappeared about a year ago. The only CBS affiliate I can get now is on C band out of Anchorage, but it's 4 hours behind us.

Huntsville used to be on G3. Then Dish started selling those locals and they disappeared.

probably not

The Equity ones are unique because they are running everything out of Little Rock, AR. Another reason is because 95% of their stations are at lower power, so the only way to get them to the cable companies is via satellite.

Jim
Terre Haute locals were turned on 9/29, so that really sounds like what they are talking about :)

PSB said:

I pay for locals with Directv so I can Tivo them. I NEVER watch live TV anymore unless I am playing with my new PCI card. :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts