Sep 11, 2003
Ontario, Canada
It's official:

As of this am on ExpressVU:

* Rush - 811
* Equator - 812
* A&E - 813
* MCHD2 - 842

Note: MSCHD 2 will only be available to western subscribers.

Kryspy

Well, I must say, I am all for new HD Channels, but that right now, A&E HD has shown less HD than TNT-HD - and I never thought that was possible (Actually I am still waiting for the first true HD Program on it).

And you have never seen Infomercials til you have seen Infomercials in Upconverted SD to Fake HD.

If you think the people on TNT-HD look fat Upconverted, wait til you see the 30 minute Nutrisystem Infomercial on A&E HD.

Thus far its a 100% upconverted simulcast of the SD channel.

I see a number of titles in the Guide for this week that I know were not originally produced in HD. However, I do see Crossing Jordan and CSI Miami. It will be interesting to see if they actually have HD versions of these shows - albeit in 720p on BEV.

Umm,

Give the channels a break they have been live for less than 24 hours and we aren't even in primetime season yet.

Kryspy

what kind of programming is on Rush and Equator? Is this some more of oasis and treasure style?

RushHD is like extreme sports and Equator is like NationalGeographic but more spotlighting on different cultures and such.

Kryspy

P.S. BTW to the complainers... A&E HD doesn't technically start until the 4th they are currently in the testing stages.

Last edited:
the guide

I. How can we tell what's coming on these channels? The Voom channels are different than the ones broadcast in the USA, so you can check Dish to see what is on Equator.

II.
What kind of package are they going to have for these Voom channels?

Are they going to charge us $10/month to just turn on the HD channels and more for the Voom channels?

Is A&E HD going to be free for those who have the SD channel, like they did with Discovery?

Kryspy said:
Umm,

Give the channels a break they have been live for less than 24 hours and we aren't even in primetime season yet.

Kryspy

Ummm, sorry you are wrong there.

Up until this point the A&E HD channel is a 100% simulcast of the SD A&E channel on BEV and up until this point both the A&E SD and HD feed on BEV are a 100% simulcast of the USA A&E Network.

Now the A&E HD Network has been for a good long time. It is distributed in "HD" on Galaxy 14 on 125W transponder 23 along with their sister channel the History Channel HD.

It's very clear now why the network does not have more penetration on cable or other sources in the USA as everything shown thus far is 100% upconverted of the SD Channel. The only difference is it has a BIG FAT A&E HD logo instead.

Thus, the fact that it has been on BEV less than 24 hours does not excuse the fact that the channel itself has no real HD content to speak of.

Saying it has been live on BEV less than 24 hours and that justifies the lack of HD content would be the equivilant of putting TNT-HD on BEV and justifying their lack of HD programming because it's only been on BEV less than 24 hours (But then again, TNT-HD has tons more true HD Programming than A&E HD as A&E HD thus far has had none.).

Have been here and awhile, just thought I would post some pic's!

Attachments

• NewHDVu 001.jpg
    NewHDVu 001.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 217
  • NewHDVu 002.jpg
    NewHDVu 002.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 196
HDTVFanatic,

What part of it hasn't even gone live yet didn't you understand. It has been reported by reliable sources that i doesn't officially launch until Sept. 4.

What is with you anyways? Someone says white you say black.... grow up already!!!

A&E announced that 65% of their broadcast would be HD. So I guess they must have been lying.

Like I said give it a few days; they are kicking off their HD offerings starting Monday with a CSI HD marathon.

Kryspy

Last edited:
Kryspy said:
It's official:

As of this am on ExpressVU:

* Rush - 811
* Equator - 812
* A&E - 813
* MCHD2 - 842

Note: MSCHD 2 will only be available to western subscribers.

Kryspy

Thanks for confirmation fellas! These have been uplinked for a bit but they were only recently came out of engineering mode.

Wonder when they are going to turn on HDNet.

Kryspy said:
HDTVFanatic,
What is with you anyways? Someone says white you say black.... grow up already!!!

Kryspy
I've wanted to say that to him for a while...I decided to stay on topic instead.

"I've wanted to say that to him for a while...I decided to stay on topic instead."

I decided to reclaim my thread which was to announce these 4 new exciting channels.

Kryspy

Equator-HD and Rave-HD are both comming from VOOM. Equator is a 100% duplicate of the American channel. The Equator site had Vu listed as a provider offering the channel. Rave-HD appears to duplicate about 75-85% of the American schedule with the remaining being Canadian content.

I've had Vu's HD Package for a couple years now and it appears that the additional channels will be available to those who have the HDTV package (I think it has recently went up to $12/mo). For instance Discovery-HD has been included in the package for over a year now, and prior to that it was in "preview" mode. Thus you don't have to buy the package with Discovery to receive Discovery-HD (though for TSN-HD you do have to subscribe to TSN). Frankly, Discovery-HD is plain awful! The same programs are constantly repeated and once you have watched for a couple weeks you have seen everything.

I'll have to look at an updated brochure. I haven't looked at one for a couple months.

ALL the hd channels on Bev look great to me compared to my DirectTV mpeg4 piece of sh--!
I get my locals from Boston on Bev and the picture is like night and day compared to DirectTv.

ALL the hd channels on Bev look great to me compared to my DirectTV mpeg4 piece of sh--!
I get my locals from Boston on Bev and the picture is like night and day compared to DirectTv.

Really? Interesting.
Now grant you you I don't have VOOM.DTV or DISH, Have Rogers cable, BEV & SC.

Now some have stated(here in Canada on another forum,) that BEV's HD PQ is not thatr great, think it is.

Just curious how would BEV's HD PQ compare to to some of the US Cable HD and DISH HD & VOOM HD?

TOM :)

In Boston, Comcast has very good quality HD.
I would have to say BEV is very comparable to Comcast quality, only I get west coast HD feeds with BEV also.
I can't speak for Dish, I never saw it. I don't know if their mpeg4 compression sucks as bad as Direct Tv.

HDTVFanatic,

What part of it hasn't even gone live yet didn't you understand. It has been reported by reliable sources that i doesn't officially launch until Sept. 4.

A&E announced that 65% of their broadcast would be HD. So I guess they must have been lying.

Like I said give it a few days; they are kicking off their HD offerings starting Monday with a CSI HD marathon.

Kryspy

60 days post launch and A&E is now 100% HD - you were right....

lol....

yeah sure. Its just as bad as I stated and you called me to task.

Stretched crap.

And at least I have the balls to say it open - while other posters here like to private message that they think the longtimers are blind and stupid for saying SC has a better picture than BEV - right miguelaqui?

Last edited:
HDTVFanatic,

I said was supposed to be 65% HD not was guaranteed to be 100% HD.

Having owned a DSR530 I'll say it again, SD looked like $hit on a 52 inch LCD screen and HD looked the same as it does on ExpressVU.

SD looks more than respectable on my 9200 on EXpressVU .

And, constantly bitch, whine, moaning about the same subject over and over doesn't mean 'ya got balls either.

Kryspy

HDTVFanatic,

I said was supposed to be 65% HD not was guaranteed to be 100% HD.

Having owned a DSR530 I'll say it again, SD looked like $hit on a 52 inch LCD screen and HD looked the same as it does on ExpressVU.

SD looks more than respectable on my 9200 on EXpressVU .

And, constantly bitch, whine, moaning about the same subject over and over doesn't mean 'ya got balls either.

Kryspy

Funny, I don't think I've bitched and whined about it since labor day - which you said to STFU until - as that was its official launch - so I gave it launch +60 days.

Let me know when it hits even 25% true HD and not stretch-o-vision.

And for the double whammy, my cable system put it on 48 hours ago :mad:

What a waste of bandwidth.

Constantly ignoring the truth TRULY means you haven't any balls.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts