Ext. Hard Drive--can I migrate from Dish use?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bookwalk

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 10, 2005
I currently use a 500 g Western Digital My Book Essentials with USB connector with my 622 HD DVR. If I switched to D* and the Hd 20-700 (or whatever it's called), could I use the ext. drive with this new D* setup?

monetnj

SatelliteGuys Family
Sep 28, 2004
I'm not certain, but I think the answer is no. The HR20 uses esata drives, not usb ones.

byron!

SatelliteGuys Guru
Aug 30, 2004
chelsea, nyc
well, eSATA drives can have USB connectors on the back.... however, if it isn't an eSATA drive.... it won't work with the HR20/HR21.

Smith P.

On Vacation
Oct 4, 2003
Bay Area, CA
eSATA never been a drive, but a connector.

Some enclosures have both USB and eSATA - so that one is OK.
And disk interface doesn't matter too if the box have eSATA connector to a host.

bookwalk

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 10, 2005
I'm not certain, but I think the answer is no. The HR20 uses esata drives, not usb ones.

How do I check if My Book is eSATA? I don't think there's any other connector than the USB on the back? I imagine I could use it for backup to my laptop and get another ext hd that IS eSATA.

Too bad there's not a way to salvage the movies saved. I suppose I would have to either get a hd-tv tuner card/hd-dvd burner and capture the recorded movies from the 622/et. hd & burn to dvd OR use the new Toshiba hd-dvd recorder that records to regular blank dvd's.

But no way to ever txfr to D*'s HD receiver or ext hd?

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Open the case and see if you have a connection on the drive.

If you do buy a new drive, Ive had a Seagate FreeAgent Pro for a couple of weeks, has been working great.

aramus8

SatelliteGuys Family
Oct 22, 2007
Northeast Nevada
But no way to ever txfr to D*'s HD receiver or ext hd?
At present, you can't transfer recorded programs from one HR20 to another and I don't foresee ever being able to transfer from an E* box to a D* box. As much as the networks rerun everything, I suspect you could get most of your programs back by just rerecording them when you go to D*. Count on more reruns than ever now that the writer's strike is here.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts