Ext hard drive wants to reformat and idk why

moneyadams

Original poster
May 24, 2016
Tennessee
I have seen things similar to what is happening to me right now, but this is a little different. I have had my external hard drive for one or two years i guess, and as soon as I got it, I used it for my dish dvr box. It is a toshiba canvio desk DWC120. I didn't really have a lot of problems from it until a couple of days ago. I went to watch something from the hard drive and it would act like it would select what i wanted but it would not play, so i unplugged the hard drive and plugged it back up, just like any other time that it wouldn't act right. But this time when I plug it back in it says that it needs to be reformatted to work with the dvr box. I have tried unplugging the box, the hard drive again, and have even talked to the dish tech guys. He said that i had no choice but to reformat it. I have tried to connect it to my computer, and my laptop, to see if i could get something off of it using my computer, but neither one will recognize the hard drive. I don't know what else to do at this point but I don't want to lose my recordings. What do I do?

I have seen things similar to what is happening to me right now, but this is a little different. I have had my external hard drive for one or two years i guess, and as soon as I got it, I used it for my dish dvr box. It is a toshiba canvio desk DWC120. I didn't really have a lot of problems from it until a couple of days ago. I went to watch something from the hard drive and it would act like it would select what i wanted but it would not play, so i unplugged the hard drive and plugged it back up, just like any other time that it wouldn't act right. But this time when I plug it back in it says that it needs to be reformatted to work with the dvr box. I have tried unplugging the box, the hard drive again, and have even talked to the dish tech guys. He said that i had no choice but to reformat it. I have tried to connect it to my computer, and my laptop, to see if i could get something off of it using my computer, but neither one will recognize the hard drive. I don't know what else to do at this point but I don't want to lose my recordings. What do I do?

Wait until after tonight's auto-reboot, and see if that fixes it.

Reactions: Tampa8

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts