Ext. Powered sat amp?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

bryanw20

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 28, 2006
Is there such a thing? I think my little inline amps are just enough to hit the break even point on some channels after my 350' run. Is there something a little stronger ie more gain?

I think if you're looking to minimize signal loss, I'd look more toward coax size first then amplification. According to the manuals I have, RG-6 has a loss of 8.5 db per 100 feet. And the manufacturers recommend going to the next larger coax when running a cable over 300 feet, a RG-11 which has a loss of 6.5 db per 100 feet. If you just want to increase amplification, have you tried placing 2 inline amplifiers in series? Of course, as with any amplifier you're not only amplifying the signal but also any noise your dish and LNBs pick up. Have fun.

Amplification should be avoided as much as possible, because with every amplifier comes some distortion. If you can make things work by using a heavier gauge cable, such as RG-11/U versus RG-6/U, it takes a much longer cable before the issue of needing amplification comes up. Think of unnecessary amplifiers as expensive fuses or possible monkey wrenches in your system. A lightning strike can truly make them into a disposable fuse!

If you are at the point of using 2 or more cheap in-line amplifiers cascaded in series, and are not in a position to replace the cable, I may have another answer. Holland Electronics made a 36 dB in-line amplifier, primarily for use with commercial distribution systems. One of these is much better than two inexpensive in-line devices that may get 18-20 dB on their own, but tend to distort when used multiple times in the same system.

I have a few of these in used but operating condition, and would be willing to part with one for a fraction of the original price. PM if you have questions about suitability of this device for your specific situation.

my nextdoor neighbor gave me this amp when he saw me putting up a very long run of quad rg6, he said it was given to him when he used to watch german tv via some sat subscription, but he has gone OTA antenna for what ever PBS he can watch ( he said at over 70yrs old, TV just gonna keep him in a chair!!)so, i have not used it yet, due to that i read conflicting theories, but any input on this item and the use would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Attachments

• amp.bmp
    576.1 KB · Views: 161
my nextdoor neighbor gave me this amp when he saw me putting up a very long run of quad rg6, he said it was given to him when he used to watch german tv via some sat subscription, but he has gone OTA antenna for what ever PBS he can watch ( he said at over 70yrs old, TV just gonna keep him in a chair!!)so, i have not used it yet, due to that i read conflicting theories, but any input on this item and the use would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Unfortunately it is of no use to you for satellite as the upper frequency limit is too low. You need an amp that goes up to > 2GHz. Yours only goes to 1GHz.

Satellite band of interest is 950 - 2150MHz plus it must pass 22kHz if you are using Diseqc controlled devices after it.

I agree with mikekohl. If you are running really long cables you should use lower loss coax. Unfortunately expensive but the performance and lack of headaches is worth it.

Amplification should be avoided as much as possible, because with every amplifier comes some distortion. If you can make things work by using a heavier gauge cable, such as RG-11/U versus RG-6/U, it takes a much longer cable before the issue of needing amplification comes up. Think of unnecessary amplifiers as expensive fuses or possible monkey wrenches in your system. A lightning strike can truly make them into a disposable fuse!

If you are at the point of using 2 or more cheap in-line amplifiers cascaded in series, and are not in a position to replace the cable, I may have another answer. Holland Electronics made a 36 dB in-line amplifier, primarily for use with commercial distribution systems. One of these is much better than two inexpensive in-line devices that may get 18-20 dB on their own, but tend to distort when used multiple times in the same system.

I have a few of these in used but operating condition, and would be willing to part with one for a fraction of the original price. PM if you have questions about suitability of this device for your specific situation.

Thanks. I may look into that, but for now my Big Dish provides enough gain that my 30" does not. So for temp I'll have to swing the big dish into postion and not watch 4D while I'm using it for FTA, which most of the time is OK because it'll be for sports :)

But whats funny is the last game I watched, i assumed Big would be better, and started with it, but switched at a commercial break dur to break ups, and the little dish was better, odd. I think that was G10 not AMC3 tho if there's a difference.

A new run is out of the question, that was a few years ago & I'm not digging up & replacing it now, besides I plan on moving in about a year, so not worth it, but good to considder in the new house if I need a longer run again.

hey BIG thanks Mike_C,my ngbhr has a box of stuff like this so i will just toss it right back in!!but i truelly need an amp now that i know about the 2ghz, how do i tell if it will pass 22khz,, again thanks

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts